free hit
counters
Spoiler Removal - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I am trying to remove the rear spoiler from my 1988 Esprit to deliver it to my painter for repair and painting. I have removed the 5 bolts inside the boot that attach it (I think). It seems to still be firmly attached- what am I missing? It looks like it should slide off backwards, but I don't want to force it.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

5? Seems like a strange number for it? Unfortunately I can't help. Someone will be along that has done it before.

And welcome to TLF David. :welcome:

Duck over to the Introductions section and say hi in there as well. :)

I would assume there should be 6 bolts holding it on.  They have six on all the other Esprit wings I've seen, plus a rubber gasket which may take a little effort to pry away due to age.

You had better post a pic, as the only variety of spoiler (Rear Wing) that was factory-installed on USA '88s was on the Commemorative series cars.

Here are some of the types:

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EModifications/wingeffect.html

and

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EHistory/WingsWheels.html

The Commemorative wing is shown on the Wikipedia page, the Pearl White car about half-way down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Esprit

To clarify-it's not a wing, just the small lip spoiler that terminates the body at the back, just above the license plate. The parts list calls for 5 bolts, that's what I have found. They mount horizontally from the inside toward the back.

Ahhh, the rear TRANSOM.

Yes ... that is glued as well as bolted. Try some fish line or dental floss to cut through the glue, once you remove the bolts.

Edited by CarBuff

That makes more sense. Don't put the fishing line or dental floss around your fingers though!

No way to get fishing line in there. I have decided to leave it attached and have it painted at a later date.

Not going to try dental floss?

Floss won't go in either- no place to start it. I will save the spoiler reprint for later and have it done on the car.

I contacted a Lotus friend who removed his transom.  He had backed into something.

Here is what he said:

[There is] No glue, just silicone. It was stuck GOOD. Think I used a putty knife, that I had heated up with a propane torch.

Luckily for me, I didn't ding the paint on the body shell, only on the ducktail, which was repainted anyway.

Hope this helped!