free hit
counters
3-Eleven - Page 2 - 3-Eleven Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

3-Eleven

they should have been doing this instead of limited edn paint jobs  

these cars can change the game and sell/reestablish the brand as a genuine performance leader overnight. and its not like they need massive development to do it either. 

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Spot on Diego.

Tell you what though, my car was feeling very quick in the cool air yesterday. It was a rare moment when I found the room to let it stretch its legs. Not sure I'd have had the chance to use 420ps but it would have been fun trying!

Initially I thought Lotus was off their trolley making it the most expensive car yet but on reflection and given the competition I've had a change of heart. Do you think there are 311 buyers out there? worldwide I guess there may be.

Trevor.

Ronin will have to up his game now ;)

Timing could be good just as Porsche are starting to really cheese customers off by giving away all of their limited supply of GT cars to speculators. With a 414bhp V6 Exige in the garage you have to wonder how keen some of them will be to take delivery of the GT4 when it finally arrives?

I wonder how many market both 3 eleven and exige will be or can be sold on? As a track only cars the 3 Eleven can be sold anywhere, but the Exige 414 Cup would be more of a "to, on and off" the track type of car. If it get the lower sills it means quite a bit of reengineering already,  would it mean new doors able to accommodate lets say side airbags, we know the Evora got the design for it and the adequate sensors for the smart airbags in the front passenger seat. So could Lotus give it to Exige too, it would widen the car's reach by quite a lot...

Every sportscar maker has come out with crazy track weapons ( Porsche has the GT3 RS, Lambo has the Huracan Super tropheo Aston has the Vulcan, Ferrari has the FXXs, McLaren the P1 GTR and  the Can Am... So i'm guessing that at a lot less, probably somewhere near 95k, the Exige should find its niche has a 461 bhp/ton track car. It's a limited run of 311 car so if they do it over 3 years it means about a hundred cars per annum for something that will be quite "cheap" to manufacture  carbon bits excepted so it's not going to be too too hard to sell them, especially if lotus decides to ramp up its Lotus Cup Series...  With new Exige 400 and 3-Eleven classes.

I think the 311 will be quite expensive, it will need quite a bit of carbon fibre to get below 900kg I would imagine. But I wouldn't expect the Exige 420 Cup to be anywhere near £95k. With the current V6 Cup starting at £62k I doubt the new one would start at any more than £72k, hopefully less, if the Evora 400 price hike is anything to go by anyway. It would be great to see the starting price under £70k to really take the fight to the GT4.

3-11 will have its own chassis i imagine, there is no need for cut out sections in it as there are no doors...

It will be a high sided chassis variant like the 2-11 was.

Interesting to hear them say it will be more rigid than the exige v6 chassis.

The original 2-11's chassis was more flexible than the equivalent elise/exige chassis because of the high sides ( the door cut outs and the way they have used multiple extrusion bonded together make the elise/exige chassi stiffer), and it was only the fact the 2-11 had a 6 point cage fitt as std that then made it stiffer than the elise.

Wonder if it is the same this time ie. stiffer in relation only because the addition of a cage, or if the chassis is made stiifer to start with?

Edited by TheKevlarKid

clicky.

420bhp

800kg

£70,000 

500bhp per tonne!

otus’s performance-driven CEO, Jean-Marc Gales, is understood to want to push into the heart of supercar territory, shattering the 3.0sec 0-60mph barrier and pushing top speed beyond 180mph.

0-60 sub 3 sec!!! Leads to wonder if the car will get an automated manual gearbox with flappy paddles, 180mph+ with no windshield... That's going to be hard on my neck.

More likely would be the Xtrac sequential race gearbox as used in the Exige V6 CupR. At least as an option. Sensationally expensive though.

I think the 311 will be quite expensive, it will need quite a bit of carbon fibre to get below 900kg I would imagine. But I wouldn't expect the Exige 420 Cup to be anywhere near £95k. With the current V6 Cup starting at £62k I doubt the new one would start at any more than £72k, hopefully less, if the Evora 400 price hike is anything to go by anyway. It would be great to see the starting price under £70k to really take the fight to the GT4.

Depends on the carbon fibre  ;)  modern techniques are changing the cost equation somewhat.

The BMW i3/i8 are using it, partly for the weight savings, but also as a feasibility exercise for future mainstream cars.  The projection is ultimately it will be cheaper than steel in certain applications.

The Zenos E10 (which I almost bought until I sat down and thought about what I'd use the car for, hence the Exige) has a carbon fibre tub made using the same recycled "offcut" techniques as the BMWs.   Yours for £30k without options, and probably the closest modern equivalent to the 2-11.

Really happy to have sold my S1 now!

Someone says the road legal 3-11 will have a regular windscreen like the 340, in that case it would be a hard choice to get this one or a 400+ Exige Cup!

Yes 311 vs Exige 420 Cup could be an agonizing choice!

That is the choice I have in my mind...

An hypothetical GT4 RS could work as well, and the high Pound/Euro change moves the Lotus' price list close to the Cayman one

Will be interesting to see if the 311 will be merely a chopped down V6 Cup. Will be a great car I am sure but only for the committed who want a week end/trackday toy.

I look for a fun trackday - fast road car, but I'm afraid the use of an helmet on the road brings away half of the pleasure...and the lack of a proper boot is a problem for weekend use

Edited by giorgiozeta

That is the choice I have in my mind...

An hypothetical GT4 RS could work as well, and the high Pound/Euro change moves the Lotus' price list close to the Cayman one

I look for a fun trackday - fast road car, but I'm afraid the use of an helmet on the road brings away half of the pleasure...and the lack of a proper boot is a problem for weekend use

On the flip side, the high pound hurts the export markets :(

The real competition for the 3-11 will be:  Discovery +Brian James Trailer+ Caterham  ;)  :D

Good point! I'm not sure Disco's do either, maybe buy an RS4 Avant to tow with ? ;)

I guess my argument is at £70k+ you could buy a complete track car setup. Caterham / Atom / ....  AND trailer AND something big enough to carry spares to tow it with.  

Remember the cliche of "drive to the track, do some laps, drive home". This is where the Exige is in such a unique niche, but it can't get too much more expensive or you might as well get an out and out track car AND something road "acceptable".  

IMHO The 3-11 risks being the worst of all worlds :(

I thought many times about a Caterham 620R...but it doesn't come in CSR form and I can't fit at all in the "superlight" chassis, especially in the footwell...unless I cut off some fingers from my feet : )

Furthermore there is no LHD option because of the charger where there should be the steering column.

If the 311 will start from 70000 £ (track version) TODAY at 0.7 that means 100000 euro (with Cayman GT4 starting at 86000), plus lights, passenger seat and put a plate it means at list 110000 euro, which is a huge amount of money.

A 420 Cup Exige won't be so far : (

I’m not sure many will drive the 311 to the track – most will be towed behind a Range Rover or the like, others will be delivered to the track by the race team that are storing, maintaining and running them for owners.

At the £70,000 plus price point it is the mid to upper range trackday driver that will be in the market for them and they will all have alternative transport and mostly want to ‘arrive and drive’.

Having owned my 211 for 7 years I have to say it was a fantastic car, the epitomy of what a Lotus and Colin Chapman was about.

That said no windscreen/heater etc did make it pretty wearing at times especially when you used the motorway.

You also needed to keep an eye on the weather as well!!. So I would have to say a 260 Cup which is not much heavy and far more practical would be the better proposition as a keeper.

Will be interesting to see if the 311 will be merely a chopped down V6 Cup. Will be a great car I am sure but only for the committed who want a week end/trackday toy.

I've also had my 211 since 2008 and still love it.  

Of course, us Yanks only got those cars for "off-road/track use", same with the V6 Exige.

Can't beat the lightweight of the 211, especially after a few modifications -- almost a 300 pound difference from that of a lightened Cup260 and my 211 comes in ~ 650 pounds lighter than the CupR.   Expect to reduce that difference somewhat but still, one can't overstate the benefits of lightweight. ;)

I thought many times about a Caterham 620R...

Same. It looks like a hell of a lot of fun, and I love the idea of 620bhp/tonne in a darty revvy package, but I can't get past the thought that with the pace on offer, I'd much rather be sat in the Elise/Exige tub if something went wrong than in the Seven platform. Sombre but worth a thought.

Edited by Arun_D
  • Like 1

A very valid point Arun and one I keep thinking of everytime someone else calls for the sills to be lowered. In terms of side impact protection the Elise/Exige/211 tub design is light years ahead of the Caterham space frame. You may as well be driving around in a box of knives and iron bars! Actually the Exige is superior to most 'tin top' cars when it comes to side impact protection too.

Even though my own Caterham 7 race car could comfortably win a round of the Lotus Cup in outright pace (still hard to believe when you see an old 7 parked next to a V6 CupR!) they really don't crash half as well. I would rather race in the Lotus Cup but the costs are a significant step up over Caterham racing which remains immense fun and relatively affordable.

The Seven is fully deserving of its legendary status. But the 211 was only limited in terms of power:weight, in most other respects it exposed the age of the Seven's basic design. I'm confident that the 311 will address the power:weight issue and for the first time since the Radical came along, R500 Caterhams will be having to something else to watch out for in their mirrors.

........... But the 211 was only limited in terms of power:weight, ....... I'm confident that the 311 will address the power:weight issue and for the first time since the Radical came along, R500 Caterhams will be having to something else to watch out for in their mirrors.

Hey Jonny,

Power:weight of the 211 can be improved upon from stock with a little work   :D

Weight of this car w/o driver:  720 KG

Rear Wheel HP and Torque: 324/204

Dyno Plot:

post-7947-0-09387700-1432910398.png

Power:weight is just fine with the 211, I was only comparing it to the most extreme tune of Caterham 7s which weigh 520kg dripping wet. In fact the 211 I drove with 260 bhp didn't feel that far off my 250bhp Caterham. But a 211 with 324 at the rear wheels would lunch it!

:thumbup: