free hit
counters
Chipex - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Anyone used it?

I've just ordered the maxi-kit for my Elise, there are a decent number of stone chips on the front clam and this is a cheaper route than a respray for now. 

Any thoughts/hints/tips?

http://www.chipex.co.uk/

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I was thinking about this for my Alfa for the same reasons.

I ended up looking at their vids on you tube.  Seem to remember a lot of peopel slagging the results off, to be fair they responded by saying it wasn't ever going to be as good as a respray but that most people should get decent results.

Hi, I ordered a kit for my mica yellow S4s a few years ago, first one they sent the colour was miles out but they did replace it with another which was a lot better. I did try using it as you're supposed to on the stone chips on my front bumper, the results were ok but I couldn't get as good a finish as they suggest or show on you-tube. This could be me of course but as Neil says it's never going to be as good as re-spray which is what I'll be getting done to mine.

The kits aren't cheap & I got a similar finish by using it as a touch up paint with a fine brush.

Personally I don't think they're worth the money.

Phil.

It was about £40 shipped for the XXL kit so cheaper than a respray. If the weathers ok this weekend I'll have a go with it and post up the results :)

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

I've used Chipex on another brand of car and it is brilliant. The trick is to take your time. If the chips are deep, take your time and build up the layers one at a time. If in doubt, use a toothpick to apply the paint.

Definitely recommended from me.

I used this stuff on my old red S4s http://www.langka.comWorked like a charm on small stone chips in combination with the factory touch up paint.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Any update on this Bibs? I'm thinking about showing my poor old car some TLC so that she's not quite so jealous of the new one!

Better late than never!

Used it at the weekend on a couple of scratches and dings on the new Elise. It's not perfect but makes the marks 99% less noticeable so in my opinion, well worth the small cost and minimal effort required. The blending stuff is amazing, just rub against the grain of the scratch with absolutely no pressure and nothing happens for a few seconds, then every bit of excess (proud) chipex paint is removed! Remarkable! 

• Like 2

Evora NA

I've ordered a pack on the strength of these reports. There are tiny little stone chips over the front showing through as white, and on the dark green it's noticeable. There are also various dings on the return of the tailgate aperture, too. Hopefully I'll get it back without and paintwork being required.

Margate Exotics.

On 2016-05-12 at 11:45, ian29gte said:

I've ordered a pack on the strength of these reports. There are tiny little stone chips over the front showing through as white, and on the dark green it's noticeable. There are also various dings on the return of the tailgate aperture, too. Hopefully I'll get it back without and paintwork being required.

I've got these too, but I wear them as a badge of honour. Mark my words, the second you've filled them in, sanded 'em down and buffed the finish, a truck will swish by you kicking up rocks and giving you a nice new set of dings to work on...

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

Rain stopped play on what I wanted to do this afternoon, so had my first go with it. I've got mixed results so far, but to be fair it became very difficult for me to see in the electric lights. I'll have another look in daylight, but I reckon I shall have to build up some of the deeper chips with paint before I get a decent finish.

One thing is for sure, with a dark green car, the chips showing up white look awful, so even just colouring them in with the matched paint does make things look 100% better from what they were. I'll be interested to see what kind of finish I can ultimately achieve, though.

Margate Exotics.

@ian29gte, how did it go with the Chipex in the end? Got any pics? I've got a distracting gash on the bonnet of my XKR and was thinking of getting a bottle. My original plan was just buying a stick from Jag and applying with a toothpick over a period of 300 years, but if Chipex delivers then I'm willing to try it out!

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

Don't expect a miracle.

The applicator sticks are good, but to be honest, a bottle of touch-up paint, T-Cut and polish does the same job.

Margate Exotics.

On 27/06/2016 at 21:01, Vanya said:

@ian29gte, how did it go with the Chipex in the end? Got any pics? I've got a distracting gash on the bonnet of my XKR and was thinking of getting a bottle. My original plan was just buying a stick from Jag and applying with a toothpick over a period of 300 years, but if Chipex delivers then I'm willing to try it out!

XKR????

Best to buy a very small artist brush from an art shop, you can get some pretty small ones. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Does this forum really not have a 'this thread is worthless without pics' emoticon?

Anyway - pics please Bibs!

Do you think Chipex would work for paint only kerbing of black gloss wheels?

Thing is Joe, Chipex is a kit of parts consisting of touch-up paint of your car colour, a cleaner to remove any excess paint, and a polish. It also contains cloths, applicators and a sponge.

That's it in a nutshell, hence my earlier comments, and it's not a magic cure-all!

Margate Exotics.

On 01/07/2016 at 15:55, ian29gte said:

Thing is Joe, Chipex is a kit of parts consisting of touch-up paint of your car colour, a cleaner to remove any excess paint, and a polish. It also contains cloths, applicators and a sponge.

That's it in a nutshell, hence my earlier comments, and it's not a magic cure-all!

Sorry - Ian I was really trying to ask if it seemed tough enough to live on a wheel and get covered in grime and brake dust but I guess that's a lot to ask from body paint,

In that case I can't answer your question, Joe. Chipex is automotive paint, but I have no idea what they use on alloy wheels.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

how do the repairs look a year on.

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Good question and well timed. They look the same as they did before I used Chipex in truth :no

Evora NA