free hit
counters
lumps, bumps and speed humps - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
theelanman

lumps, bumps and speed humps

probably an odd question......

how are people going on with uneven surfaces and speed bumps?

Im just asking really for the front end clearance........

having had the car for 3 months Ive managed to avoid anything untoward but on day one I took the number plate off and have been wary ever since.

I suppose its a suck it and see and avoid sudden changes in elevation.....Im just concerned as to what would happen to the front end if was anything other than the number plate next time....

thanks

G

ps Ive never had any problem with either elan but there again they look higher at the front....(front end clearance that is)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There are two scrape bulbs mounted on the front underside. These are made of solid Aluminium and should take the impact of whatever you hit. Having the license plate as lowest point is actually a good idea, the scraping is your "last warning"

Sounds good to me.......phew.....

I was just a little worried that its be the fiberglass that took the hit and just ended a mess

but if there are bit of Ali to take a bit of a whack then that sounds less destructive

cheers

G

You're even luckier, the Evora bumper is not made of fiberglass. Its a resilient plastic. 

And French too....iirc....or is that just the exige

I velcro on the numberplate, and set it a little below the bumper lip, so as TBD says you get non destructive warning. There are black plastic bump scrapers mounted on two of the undertray/floor bolts that are also that to reduce damage, but as they are set a bit back the bumper lip will hit earlier. 

Going back to original post, I have 3 of the large, up one side, over the top, and down the other side speed humps to get to/from my house and they are no bother.  Going the other way there is 10 with some really fierce ones and the Evora clears them all albeit moving slowly.  In fact more clearance than a F355 and Boxster S with Factory Body kit both of which ground every time on the 3 to the house. 

I am however conscious that the car has a very pointy nose and have a habit of rubbing the underside of nose on higher kerbs parking nose in through poor judgement but the good news is you don't see the bit that rubs.  I now after 5+ years of Evora ownership tend to reverse park in spaces for that reason as it gets the car further out of the firing line. (I'm not talking about parallel parking which is always done in reverse and no problem apart from the risk of kerbing the rear when in blind spot)

Live in central London surrounded by speed bumps and not had any particular problems. Just need to go very slow over some of the more severe ones. Sounds like the mud flaps are what scrape more than anything else - don't think I have ever had the nose ground yet.

When you look at the profile of the car, you can see the nose section goes up from the front wheel arches onwards.

This is purely done to prevent damage from speedbumps. From that point of view I think the Evora is better than the Elise.

At some point I want to experiment with the front as it's wrong from an aero point of view. (it acts like a wing on an aeoplane rather than a wing on a sports car).

The race versions all have this 'special bumper' which is the same but it's straight, so more downforce.

What do you have by way of parts for evora Yvo? :)

/goes to search.