free hit
counters
Potential Exige S V6 owner, need some advice - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Edison Ngu

Potential Exige S V6 owner, need some advice

Just sold my 2010 R8 V10 last week, previously owned Gallardo, Cayman, GT-R, M3.

As you can see, I preferred 'comfy car' in the past (not sure if GT-R count...), and Huge spec always important too. This time, I'm going to try something that I never thought I would consider to buy before, a pretty much 'empty' car apart from performance.

Before I made up mind (almost now...) to buy an Exige V6, I was considering the following cars,

BAC Mono (we have hired two to our next track day at Bedford on 28th March, join us if you want)

KTM X Bow

Jaguar F Type R

M4

R8 V10 Plus

MP4-12C

California

991 GT3 (way over priced at the moment, my friend has a brand new one to sell below current market price, if anyone interested)

And I end up choosing Exige, please convince me that I'm making a right decision. :/

Now, is there anything that I need to inspect carefully on a 2014, 6k miles used?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Take a mirror to inspect the grin on your face when you get out of it :thumbsup:

You're obviously used to very high performance cars, so don't expect Exige will impress that much, but I think you may be surprised at overall driving experience for cost of this car. I've just bought a new one and am frustratingly enjoying running in, but I know what it's potential is.

If I was looking to buy a low mileage, used Exige, I'd be wanting to know:

how those 6k miles have been driven?

has it had correct running in service carried out at first 1000 miles 

what warranty remains

state of rear tyres, if mullered, what discount?

reason for sale?

test drive and listen for noises that shouldn't be there.

Good luck with it

For sure there are faster cars out there, but in my opinion, none of them give the sheer driving pleasure I get from the plastic Lotus.

Never would want to need to use the Exige everyday, but for the Sunday morning -on the twisty B-roads over here- there is in MY opinion nothing that even comes close to the pleasure it gives you.

To add: this is my first Lotus, never looked at them before

Edited by Milton1

I recently bought a used Exige S V6 and am loving it. Maybe speak to Jamie at Bell & Colvill as he has a 2014 with 1900 miles for sale atm.

Things to consider: upgrade of exhaust and suspension. The standard suspension is very good but if you will be going on track a lot then Nitron or Ôhlins might be for you.

Go for it ... You won't regret it :-)

Nb. When you are at a dealer, then make sure to try an Evora S as well for comparison.

I've had faster cars before (including a modified 911 Turbo) but none of them has come anywhere near the sense of drama and outright fun of hooning about in my V6 Exige S. Even when it's just idling at traffic lights it puts a smile on my face. :)

Edited by BillTheButcher

It's hard to know what you like, the cars on your list are very diverse, there's not much correlation between a Ferrari California and an X-Bow! The Exige sits somewhere in between but wouldn't normally appeal to the typical California buyer!

You simply have to try one. There are no issues whatsoever to look out for but fresh tyres are important as they do wear them fast, esp on track. Gearbox should feel slick and precise but is very light action compared to most others you may be used to. This is normal and due to the motorsport spec low friction cables. Perhaps a clumsy or inexperienced driver could adversely affect the shift quality but even that is unlikely in 6000 miles. These cars stand up really well to track use, don't be put off by that at all. They take it much better than your previous cars. Mine has done 8 trackdays and 9500 miles and is completely like new. Zero issues. The only things that wear out are the tyres.

Mono is awesome but much more expensive and is more of a car to trailer to the track. Exige is slower over a lap but a good compromise between genuine track ability and enough weather protection to keep you dry on the way there and back. The Cayman is the closest of your previous cars ie it majors on handling over power but the Exige is much more raw and exciting. The trade off is less comfort and visibility but the Exige has come a long way since the S1!

Hope you enjoy it, happy hunting.

• Like 1

Exige is a great little car but as some have mentioned it does have its limitations. They're fairly nippy but not supercar quick, they're a struggle to get in and out of so you won't take yours Mrs out in her frock and spare her blushes but for all that they're great fun. I've owned a few Ferraris and would initially say the obvious which is the Exige will cost a fraction of what the Cali will cost to run but more to the point the Cali and Exige are polar opposites, one being a GT car the other a track biased car.

Ktm I've also owned these are brilliant fun but heavily compromised by the weather and suffere buffeting due to lack of screen.

I think you need to focus more on what you want, track car, supercar or GT. Your list is to diverse at the minute!

SJF

Hi and welcome. Not a lot to add to that above other than like Jonny I've done 8 track days in mine and 5.5k miles and the car is like new, been perfect, I get it inspected every other track day by Lotus and nothing's come up other than consumables. Rear tyre wear is bad, particularly on track with Trofeo so I would not be overly concerned if a 6k car shows rear wear. Car is defiantly improving over time.

Given that the Exige is a positive bargain compared to most of the others on your list, do you want a standard or Cup car? That depends on what your intended use is. If it's road miles are merely going to be to and from tracks then a Cup car would be a better option.

On a late model used car, I'd just want to know the history - is it a genuine one private owner, or an ex dealer demo or an ex Lotus press car? My concerns with the latter two would be how they were treated by the multitude of drivers who would have 'performance tested' them - particularly the press cars. I know they're designed to take the abuse, but even so....

Exige is more involving and fun to drive vs. R8 V10.

Until 130 mph same pace.

Welcome to TLF Edison. :welcome:

Big decision. Drive them then let us know your thoughts.

Duck over to the Introductions thread and say hi in there as well. :)

I'm back!

Finally decided to buy a Cup, found one on pistonhead, will collect the car in two weeks..

Car reg: RX13 CYA. Is the previous owner from this forum too?

Congrats. I've not met a Cup owner who regretted it yet.

Time to book some trackdays!

Congrats. I've not met s Cup owner who regretted it yet.

Time to book some trackdays!

Hi, I watched a lot of your videos on YouTube, which is useful for me to decided on the CUP version, thumbs up!

Do you know if the standard exige carpets (both driver and passenger side) will fit the cup? I'm worry that the passenger side won't fit due to the fire extinguisher.

• Like 1

Thanks for watching my humble vids, you can blame my kids for the lack of new material to watch!

I don't know about the passenger carpet, I've got a feeling it will fit at it's shorter than the driver's side anyway. The V6S comes with a footrest on the passenger side.

I'm thinking of fitting a drivers side carpet if only to protect the aluminium floor. It's worked pretty well up to now just using rubber mats but they do slide around on track which is getting really annoying!

Some pics of your car please when you're ready!

:thumbup:

Good choice..! My CUP keeps getting better and better with more miles.

The factory fitted the standard carpet set to mine (complete with the screw down/bonded fixings). Drivers side fits perfect and the passenger side is perhaps 1cm too long but just sits 'up' slightly at the extinguisher instead of completely flat at that end. Looks fine and almost like it was designed to protect the bottom lip of the extinguisher.

Congrats and enjoy.

• Like 1