free hit
counters
60 year old guitar newby - Guitar Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

60 year old guitar newby

• Gold FFM

OK, all you Hendryx types, whats best for a 60 year old guitar newby, just got myself an accustic to spend some time on while overseas and was wondering whats best to start with.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ndeed. Good one!    Play the middle two strings open, then 3rd fret, then 5th fret.    Do NOT play this:   https://youtu.be/8V_hCqO6UQs

All depends on what you want to play. The guitar is a very flexible instrument; you can do anything from hard rock to fingerstyle picking, Manouche jazz to acoustic blues, ragtime to classical. If you

Take some of your favourite songs and see if you can play any parts of them - this way you'll get the ball rolling with added enthusiasm coming from seeing just how quickly you yourself can create mus

Steel-string or nylon-string?

Not sure what to suggest, but the first tune I ever learned was "Brand New Cadillac" as done by The Clash.

Either way, just start practicing the chord change ACBC repeatedly and you'll be on your way.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

ndeed. Good one! 

Play the middle two strings open, then 3rd fret, then 5th fret. 

Do NOT play this:

https://youtu.be/8V_hCqO6UQs

Edited by ramjet
  • Like 1

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

• Gold FFM

Of course I had to look didn't I. hahahahahaha. Belushi does it every time.

And now for some serious advice.

All depends on what you want to play. The guitar is a very flexible instrument; you can do anything from hard rock to fingerstyle picking, Manouche jazz to acoustic blues, ragtime to classical. If you have never played anything before, I would recommend becoming conversant with the 12 bar blues. This should be instantly familiar as the blues are everywhere, man.... Start out in the key of "E". The basic progression at four beats to the bar is E... E... E... E7... A7... A7... E... E... B7... B7... E... E...

You need to get the chord changes into that part of the brain that deals with things without thought...and that needs many repeats of the actions...this is called "practise"(!) There are many variations and extensions to the chord pattern, and it can be played in any key, too. One often feels the need to sing...extemporising a 12 bar blues to suit whatever is going on in your life at that moment can be a useful way to remain sane....works for me, anyway. There are now countless guitar instructional websites all over the interweb; have a search and see what takes your fancy. A man's music is an inherent part of his personality, it can take years to find your way; but the search is rich and rewarding and difficult and discouraging and exhilarating and joyful and wrist slittingly frustrating and then someone you don't know will say "I like your music" and it's all worthwhile!!

Be aware that it can well be a lifetime commitment......I've never found a way back......in about 50 years......

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Thing is, once you get going, you'll find it addictive. You will find there are guitars and amps out there that you covet so badly that you'll never be able to live without them, and you'll gladly sell your wife and children into sex slavery to acquire.

Trust me on this one. I might have over-egged it a bit, but there will no doubt be others here who will not disagree!

Margate Exotics.

Take some of your favourite songs and see if you can play any parts of them - this way you'll get the ball rolling with added enthusiasm coming from seeing just how quickly you yourself can create music!

There's plenty of great rock bands to start with. As some have mentioned, Deep Purple, ACDC. Personally I started with Iron Maiden (teenage angst...) while most of my peers were rocking Metallica. The possibilities are endless :)

Oh and the condition Ian has described above is known as GAS, that's Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Be wary of it. :D

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

The best advice I can give is to buy the best guitar you can afford.

A bad guitar will be hard to play and only make your hands hurt and so make you not want to play.

As for the type of music, start with what you like, start slow, start steady and be patient.

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

I'm with Buddsy. The riff from Smoke On Th Water followed by Eleanor Rigby. :hrhr:

Long time since my 12 string left me. :( Got all the synths now.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Loads of tutorials on the internet.

Or if you prefer words on paper, there are a couple of 'teach you the guitar' magazines with CDs and everything.  Choose whichever one has a song in that you would like to be able to play.  Invest a fiver and you'll be hooked.

If you have a Mac, you can download the GarageBand tutuorials.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• Gold FFM

Cheers guy's. Looks like GAS has started, now have two with the thought being, keep one at home and ship one over to Kazakhstan to use while off at work. Now have a selection of books as recommended by local music shop, a selection of pics and some super glue. Next problem will be getting it over there without our friends in customs at RoK end wanting me to pay for import duty. Legal name for a bribe or have it nicked. Currently looking for a digital tuner then that shoud be me ready for travel. I forgot to mention I dont read music so I guess this will be an addtional problem but I recon once I recognise the chords this should be fine.

For the tuner, try a "snark" or similar.

Clips onto the headstock and tunes using the vibes, so ambient noise isnt a problem.

Any pointers on the musical direction you wish to take?

Smart phones can get a tuning "app", too. I use a clip on device that shows whatever note it is presented with; useful if tuning with a capo, since my voice seems to like F# as a key....!! I would reinforce the advice to get the best instrument you can....crap guitars wreck the fingertips and bleeding fingers discourage practise. Reading music isn't needed....most guitar stuff is written in tablature and being able to read this is more helpful than the traditional dots.

The very best advice.....stick at it. Two years from a standing start to being able to perform in public is about average.....but you never stop learning. 

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

Listening to all the advice with interest and today picked up a couple of Mini clip digital tuners, one to leave at home and one for overseas. The guitar I purchased for traveling is a Martin Smith, purchased from another none starting guitarist and although 4 years old has never been touched and for the price I was told it should suit my needs, also came with a 18mm thick padded travel case and all for £40.00. The one I purchased to leave at home is a real nice looking piece of kit which is electric accoustic and made by Lindo. I was told this was a good one for learning with, it also looks stunning in High Gloss Balck with a Nice Pacific Blue fish scale kind of appearance, came coomplete with a hard case and mini amp at a sensible £140 so I think thats ok.

As for music direction, I will be more than happy if I can string a few recognisable cords together then see how it goes from there as it has always been a lifelong dream to be able to play, time will now be my biggest factor especially with the summer coming on.

• 7 months later...

Just started myself. Also a classical guitar. A Yamaha cgx111sca, which sounds loads better than a beginners guitar, as the others mentioned. Bought it second hand, and had a friend WHO pleyed guitar for many years along to see if it had warped, twisted or something else.

Clip your left hand nails short all the time. Long ones or normal on right hand, And Wind on a new set of quality strings regularely, say every 3 months. There's a World of difference between used or old strings, and a set of fresh strings. This will give you much more sound in your guitar.

1 hour per day to start with, not to get hand or arm troubles. Learn precision rather than speed. In time, speed will come. I just got a nice german mechanical metronome, which is great to get used to keep the speed correct. Sounds way less irritating than an Electronic one ;)

You may want to bring your guitar abroard in the hard box, to protect it from changing temperature and humidity. Far better than a soft case. And get a few thin picks to start with as well.

Happy pursuit!

GAS is the way to go as Vanya explained ;)

Cheers,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 2 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2015 at 14:35, Moxie said:

ndeed. Good one! 

Play the middle two strings open, then 3rd fret, then 5th fret. 

Do NOT play this:

https://youtu.be/8V_hCqO6UQs

Out of everything Steven Bishop has done, this is what I remember most. One of the best scenes of the movie.

As for the guitar, just listen to a lot of Segovia and mimic what he did...you'll be fine (I'm joking). Age as noting to do with it, dude...just jump in and keep at it. I took my gear out of a 20+ year storage (I'm 55), having a great old time. My kids (6 and 8) are now jazzed to start taking lessons.

PS +1 on the GAS thing...there should be a be a GAS anonymous group set up...it's a disease, I tell myself (as I'm buying a 30 yo Jupiter 8...)

• Like 1