free hit
counters
Reverse gear teeth too long ! - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Cushing

Reverse gear teeth too long !

The gearbox rebuild came to an abrupt halt today, new Quaife diff turned up with Fedex J but the new input shaft I installed seems to have longer teeth by 1.5mm on reveres gear. The shaft came out of a UN1 box but not sure what type, it has 11 teeth and the gap between the teeth is the same as the old one, anyone seen this before ? 

A workaround would be to grind off the tips on the input shaft, it is after all just reverse gear !

post-17533-0-54937200-1426796457.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So, what does the extra 1.5mm inhibit/interfere with/prevent?

If you are going to take the tops off the teeth, I would get it done in s lathe. Much neater.

When we put the two halves together it won't go into reverse gear, the teeth will not in-gauge and it sounds klonky. If you roll the reverse gear kog on the shaft it kind of lumps up and down. Loosen the the two halves of the box and it goes into gear, tighten up the box with reverse in-gauged and everything is locked up. 

Interesting... looks like the shaft doesn't neck down around reverse gear like normal either.

here's mine

P3270142.JPG

P3270138.JPG

Hi Travis, in your picture I cannot see the reverse gear kog but I've taken a couple of pics that show the problem with mine, you can actually see the input shaft that's installed has slightly longer teeth. 

post-17533-0-85089600-1426801697.jpg

post-17533-0-85533300-1426801739.jpg

The bottom picture shows the old shaft along side the new one that's installed. you can also see that the teeth on the old shaft are flatter on the tips than the new one. I'll fix it tomorrow, either grind some flats on the shaft or grind out valleys in the reverse kog. It's going in the car tomorrow one way or another !!!!!   

All done and gearbox in the car, had to change the cog on the main shaft, I still don't what the spares gearbox came out of but after all, it's only reverse gear, I don't plan on doing a lot of reversing !!! thanks for the input and I'll let you all know how it goes :-)

Just for interest, the parts gearbox came from a DeLorean.