free hit
counters
Piston Clearance JE pistons in iron liners - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
snowrx

Piston Clearance JE pistons in iron liners

I'm putting a set of JE forged piston in my iron liner 910. The pistons are off getting thermal coating on the crowns and lubricity on the skirts. What should I be specifying for my piston clearance?  JE's product info sheet is vague; (.0025" on the piston specific data sheet, or  .0035-.0065" (.075-.165mm) from the installation tips) and the coating vendor suggests that the coating will cause the cooler running pistons to expand less, allowing a tighter clearance. My hope at this point is to have them honed to .004"(.10mm) JE's lower suggestion, and rely on the anti-friction skirt coating if they run tight.  Motor is not going to see race use, just the highway.

After the pi$tons/coating$/machine $hop tally, I'd like to get as much wear as I can from these, and avoid unnecessary piston slap.  Anyone been here ,done this and have any suggestions?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

In the end, my machine shop went with .004" clearance from the original metal piston dimension, disregarding the skirt coating.

The 910 runs & sounds fine in spite of a bit a rough break-in mapping the new turbo. 

Hi Thomas,

Hope you get years of reliable service!