free hit
counters
front brembo caliper parts - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KVJ 786

front brembo caliper parts

Hi Everyone

Can we get a rebuild kit for the front brembo calipers as I think my right caliper is sticking hence pulling car to the left on hard braking.

If so what parts do I need and where to buy from. 

Thanks 

Ameer

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would be ringing a Brembo dealer with the part number of the caliper.

Oops. Or there's that. :getmecoat:

Hi Guys

Got my brakes looked over by a local mechanic as I still had the pull to the left when stabbing on the brake pedal. Does not pull if pressed gently on the pedal. 

We worked the setup one at a time starting with the front calipers and found both were clean and free on movement no leaks evident or sticking. the calipers parts greased as required.

Then the back were done and again they only needed cleaning and greasing the moving parts. 

At the same time all the pads were replaced as it was due since they were done over 5 years ago. the old pads had not worn down as much but were shiny. I used the EBC red as was recommended for street use. Now they are worn in and brakes feel good for stopping apart from this pulling to the left.

My mechanic does not feel it is the calipers are faulty since they are moving freely. Brake flush/bleed was done awhile ago when I had noticed the color of the fluid had gone brownish. The system was not allowed to go empty during the flushing/bleeding process. The 2 bleed nipples on the master were not touched at all.

Reading the forum it is mentioned about the brake solenoid on the master can be at fault. Question is can this part be removed without having to bleed the whole system? What is the best way to diagnose this fault as the only tools I have is a vacuum bleed kit. 

PS no ABS warning light shows at any time using the brakes, nor the red brake light ever comes on. 

I do most things on the lotus but when it comes to brakes I prefer to have someone working with me as a safety so I do it right.

Any suggestions as to what to do and check will be appreciated.

Ameer

A contamination on the pads or rotor on the front right side could also cause the car to pull to the left. Did you have a brake fluid leak?

Also alignment can play a part in the car pulling under braking. Too much toe out on one side compared to the other...

Also on your ABS equipped Esprit, the front brakes are each on a separate channel, where the rear brakes share a channel. So it is possible that you have a problem with the master cylinder... Though some people have mentioned a collapsed brake line may prevent pressure from reaching a caliper.

Hi Travis

Answer to your question there has been no leak of any brake fluid for as long as I have owned the car. Car drives straight and used to stop straight at hard braking force. It started doing this a few months ago and when I checked the master, I  found the brake fluid was very brownish in color. So the brake fluid was replaced and system bled . But did not fix the pulling to the left.

Yesterday I took my car to my mechanic and once again we did a complete change of fluid just by bleeding the lines as described in the instructions. We used new dot 4 and all the lines were pushing out clean fluid. 

Took it out for a test drive and still pulled to the left only when I stabbed the brake pedal.

If I press the pedal slowly then the car stops dead straight. Both of this stopping tests was done at same speeds.

We did check all the lines and the discs which are free from any contamination, and were cleaned when new pads were fitted 2 weeks ago.

So don't know what else to check, I do have 2 new sets of front caliper seals and as yet haven't changed them. Could a caliper be sticking even it looks ok.

I hope someone can shed light to this sometime.

Thanks

Ameer 

It could be the brake calipers, but those are pretty easy to check.

Next, it could be that you didn't bleed the DELCO ABS system properly. Which instructions did you follow?  And did you activate the ABS solenoids to bleed the master cylinder?  You have to use either a Tech1 with a Lotus pecific cartridge, or EspritMon with a laptop.

Next it could be that you have a problem with the master cylinder, it could be that the front braking hydraulic circuit "Displacement Cylinders" or "Isolator Valves" are not working correctly, and not allowing enough pressure to reach the front caliper that is not braking sufficiently.

Hi Travis

I will hook up Espritmon sometime and see if I can use it to cycle the solenoids. I am not sure what I am doing at this stage as never used this software before. 

If you have any instructions as to what I should be doing then I will greatly appreciate that. Will this software tell me if a solenoid or any other part in the master is not working correctly even it is not completely dead.

As for the bleeding of brakes I used the option for manual bleeding procedure. This was done with the brake pedal pumped 40 times to bleed the front sides. Once they were done the ignition was turned on and the system charged up as normal with the pump stopped after 30-45 secs.

The rear brakes were then bled till clean fluid came out. All this process was done with someone in the car pumping the pedal to bleed. Then the instruction said to press the pedal and turn ignition on which gave a pulsating feel on the pedal. This was 10 times as per guide.

So there you have it and hope this helps.

Ameer

I would bleed through the master cyliner bleed valves just to be sure there is no clogs in the master.  I had a similar problem when I bought my S4s where it pulled severely to the left.  Even went so far as to buy a rebuilt PMIII master cylinder.  After doing a complete flush of EVERYTHING, the pull went away.  The rebuilt master never got installed and is sitting in a box in the garage.

Out of curiosity, did your mechanic remove one of the brake pads on each side of the calipers to make sure the pistons moved outward freely when slowly pressing the pedal being careful the pistons did not push out completely? 

Edited by Paul93Lotus

Hi

I was up at Jim (Lotus4s) and he checked out the master cylinder operation using the Tec 1 tool. The solenoids tested ok and we bled the front system. Still no fix and was suggested could be brake lines.

I changed both the front brake lines with the stainless type and bled the system. Both sides the fluid came out clean with all air bubbles cleared from the lines. 

Took the car our for a test run and yet again pulled to the left when on hard braking. If brake slowly no pull at all.

That rules out bad brake lines.

Well looks like caliper will be next on the list to refurb. Never done that before. I have bought the seal kit.

How to remove front caliper step by step info will be great as I will do it myself.

Any suggestions to tackle this job will be appreciated.

Thanks

Ameer

Just a thought. Have a look at suspension. Shock absorbers and bushes. It could be that under the heavier 'stab' braking that the suspension is going further on one side than the other, versus the lighter braking.

Under more suspension movement, the alignment may change as well.

• Like 1

A friend with an S4s had some weird braking issues, while looking into that he found one of the rear caliper pistons was cracked, and not moving freely in the bore.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/brakes-not-releasing-1995-esprit-304362/