free hit
counters
Rear bulkhead steel cross-member. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
langleytw

Rear bulkhead steel cross-member.

Morning,

Before I go wasting hours undoing various bolts....

does anyone know if the rear bulkhead cross-member (seat belt mounting plate) is removable or bonded in?

I've done lots of searching with no result.

I'm getting various parts and the chassis zinc sprayed so I thought I'd get it done if it comes off.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom.

post-17180-0-53591300-1426933366.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Can't help with an answer, but I'm sure I've seen something that looks like that hanging on the wall in Tate Modern

• Like 1

I am also in the process of attempting to remove this. There are lots of bolts that you have to undo through the plywood on the cabin side. It appears to also be glued in, and is a bi#%$ to get out. I had half a go at it and gave up, left it for another day.

Yes it does come out. There are a number of M6 bolts which screw into the crossmember (7 from memory?) and there are as many again that have a nut on the back of them (the bottom ones I think). Then there are the 4 bolts in the door shut which also need to come out. From inside the cabin you may not be able to see those bolts because there's a slab of rubber covering them which you need to remove first (woodscrews into the plywood).

Edited by Paul Coleman

I have it out!

the main consideration is that the resin used to glue in the plywood bulkhead also adheres to the bolt threads and totally fills the drilled cavity on many of these. They are mostly small M5 or 6 bolts and are pretty average quality. They cannot withstand the torque required to break them free of the resin and will and do shear off. I would recommend coring them out to the metal of the back-plate with a barely oversize hole saw and using a larger washer when they are replaced. They only locate the plate. All the load is pulling on them from the front. Worked for me anyway (after I sheared off a couple and realised the fix).

Of course, even after the bolts are all out....it's still stuck on the rear bulkhead!

Am in the middle of trying to remove this and having a lot of trouble. Bolts are all out, and I can get a scraper underneath the bottom half, but the top is very difficult to dislodge. 

I've had a number of goes at it but so far no luck. Really want it out so I can start cleaning up this area! Think if I can get it out I will have it plated rather than paint because there's heat/soundproofing and carpet that will be adhered over the top anyway.

Does anyone else have any tips for how they got theirs out?

IMG_2239.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

Edited by Freemason