free hit
counters
Evora adventure starts here! - Page 4 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
CocoPops

Evora adventure starts here!

Next "mod" has been ordered :thumbsup:

Pioneer F970-DAB

Will be interested in this, and forgive me if I have missed anything but can't you not just buy the harness to convert the Evora harness from Alpine to Pioneer as per the MY12 Evora?

Retro-fitting the AVIC-F930BT requires swapping the radio wiring harness for Part No. A132M0254F 

I believe the GPS aerial is the same but you might have issues with the alpine reversing camera otherwise hopefully the new harness will work. What ever you decide please take pictures  :thumbup:

http://wiki.seloc.org/a/In_Car_Entertainment_-_Evora

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The ISO harness is £4.86.

It will leave the car with ISO plugs, so ANY headunit can be connected later.

The Headunit comes with a new GPS aerial, so that's easy.

The Lotus part you list above internets is £33.98 plus VAT at DeRoure, so £4.86 and 30minutes of time is cheaper and more future proof I think.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Fair enough Lee, as I said be interested in this.

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

The ISO harness is £4.86.

It will leave the car with ISO plugs, so ANY headunit can be connected later.

The Headunit comes with a new GPS aerial, so that's easy.

The Lotus part you list above internets is £33.98 plus VAT at DeRoure, so £4.86 and 30minutes of time is cheaper and more future proof I think.

But you are adding unnecessary weight. :smoke:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Going back a few posts I was note interested to note that I have the short ratios too. I'd never thought about it before.

Mike S

I bit the bullet internets and ordered the pioneer harness! :)

Having had the dash apart and taken a look, I figured it would be far easier to let Lotus do the figuring out hehe.

Head unit here today, still awaiting the rest.

• Like 1

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats

It will be, I've done twice, if I had to do it again I would be buying the harness too!

Gav

Do you mind me asking why you went for the F970DAB (and not the F77DAB or F70DAB)?

(I'm going through a similar decision process with my new Evora). :)

Budget.

I paid £536 for the F970DAB.

Budget.

I paid £536 for the F970DAB.

Aha, that's a pretty good reason. Nearly half the RRP of the F77DAB.

Great, looking froward to some pics of it all

I bought it from amazon.de :thumbsup:

http://www.amazon.de/Pioneer-AVIC-F970DAB-Mediacenter-mit-DVD-Laufwerk/dp/B00UNBVUBE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429775512&sr=8-1&keywords=f970DAB

I even called Pioneer UK to check and as far as they are concerned, a unit sold in Germany is the same as the unit sold in the UK thumbsupgraemlin.gif

Pioneer actually hold their euro stock in Belgium, this includes UK stock, so no difference.

So cheapest I found in UK was £619, just paid £536 inc 2day delivery.

I ordered it Monday and it was delivered yesterday, better than some local suppliers can do!

And given the euro stock has manuals in En/De/It/Fr again, it makes no difference to installation. Clearly, a US unit wouldn't be good as they use different FM bands etc and I don't think they have DAB? They use Sirius instead.

Nice find!

So could you use the standard fit GPS aerial or is the connection different? Also sure I read somewhere the microphone connection is different but can use an adaptor if you wanted to save running cables and removing bits of trim.

Adaptor for mic, £2.69 at Maplin. Saves faffing with new mic wiring.

GPs aerial is included, I intend to put this behind the dash panel above dash binnacle.

Adaptor for mic, £2.69 at Maplin. Saves faffing with new mic wiring.

GPs aerial is included, I intend to put this behind the dash panel above dash binnacle.

Would you mind taking lots of photos as you go along, please? A user guide for this would be very handy.

Any updates Lee? :)

Any pics of the harness, head-unit etc?

Funnily enough I sorted it today.

Took a bit more time than planned... Lotus Pioneer Loom is for Pre2012 Pioneer units which have a different pinout/connector.

So I had to sit and use a needle to remove each pin from the ISO loom supplied by Pioneer and the loom from Lotus.

It's not tricky, just time consuming to ensure it all matches up.

Anyway, a few pics:

A1FB12B4-8ABA-4780-9EFF-CC907759F378_zps

Loom for Pioneer (needs plug swapping with the one included with a 2015 headunit)

EE351934-14C3-436B-A4D5-1CC96255D8AB_zps

All the parts I used (£536 for HU, £19 for DAB Aerial, £2.69 for mic adaptor and £36 for loom)

94ABCE47-A624-440B-865F-9ED329D53649_zps

Dash panel removed, simple enough, held in by 4 locating lugs.

45E5BCEF-8E2D-4788-A875-B8534FA7B5E7_zps

Big white connector in the middle is the main car loom connector.

EDA8C235-43BC-4593-895C-7F64B76DE582_zps

New unit fitted, will try and grab some "power on" pics later.

Suffice to say it all works really well.

Reverse Camera is plug and play, simples.

Mic adaptor means I didn't need to reroute a new microphone. (3.5mm to 2.5mm)

Siri works really well with the CarPlay setup, even at speed.

• Like 2

Nice work Lee :)  Thanks for posting.

Out of interest did you have the Alpine 505 or 520 unit before?

Did you swap over the GPS aerial? and would the stock Lotus one work / fit?

Did you run the USB cable into the glove box?

505 with the inbuilt blackbird handheld unit. Shit!

GPS aerial is included with the head unit and is now sat under the removable cover behind the dash pod.

Yes, USB cable runs to the glove box, very easy to do.

Still to do:

Remove old alpine cables from glovebox.

Figure out how to remove A pillar cover to site the DAB aerial.

I left the alpine imprint, Alpine TMC aerial, gubbins behind as its not hurting anything and is too embedded.

I believe the A pillar covers just pop out with some pressure.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Hopefully you can customise the power on screen with your own image on that model. I use the attached which looks quite nice.

post-17773-0-13059400-1431014547.jpg

• Like 1

Perfect.

Thank You!

Works perfectly.

Thanks!

Stuck it on a memory stick and uploaded easy.