free hit
counters
Evora journey at an end for me - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Frimley111R

Evora journey at an end for me

With lots going on at the moment in the business it looks like the time to move on from my lovely Evora. For me its been, ironically, a little too good. My car was bought to give me greater daily usability after realising how much time my Elise sat in the garage not being used,

But the reality is that I always felt too precious about it and it seemed a 'waste' to have it ploughing a motorway or sitting in traffic or going to the shops. In reality my old SAAB is far better suited to the task.

Also I never did a track day in it and worried about using such a nice/expensive car in that way (I know lots of people do). Its also stupidly fast and, as with many cars of similar performance, the chance to use it on the roads is very limited. 

The IPS gearbox was the perfect choice for me but I suspect 99.9% of the time I drove the car with it sat in 'D'. That says much about how little I used it's potential.

Its been a great couple of years but it's time for a change, what to I'm not sure yet, but I think I'll always be on the TLF and 'the playground' so will be back in whatever Lotus serves up next time.

Advert going up shortly...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That's a pity Ross. :(

Best of luck with it all. :)

Guaranteed you'll miss it

Yes, I think I will but we have the Evora, a Boxster, SAAB and Clio Williams and its too many so the CW was sold yesterday, we're planning to replace the Boxster with a 4 Series Conv as mostly Mrs 111R drives that and style is more important than performance to her. I think I'll change the Evora/SAAB to a RenaultSport Megane for a bit and see how things go, it seems the best daily driver/performance car I can think of.

Very few IPS models around and the nearest one is £40k but its not a MY12 car. Still thinking about value now but presently not sure...

Would a c63/m3/isf not be a more enjoyable alternative?

How many miles did you do in it, over how long?

No doubt a great car and IPS more usable for alot of the market.

I find when it's dirty it's easier to worry less  :D   Mine is way over waxed and detailed but in between it's much easier to leave places not supercar sparkly.

4 series is very capable car. A mate has it here and I hate seeing it because it makes me realise how far away German car quality is. Incredible quality everywhere. What about a Maserati? There are loads in Singapore these days and they look and sound fantastic and have 4 seats.

Fair enough.

If it's a hatch you're looking for maybe a Golf R? Like the Evora great handling, fast with Bullitt proof build and residuals.

Good luck!

I have a 428i gran coupe and it's pretty pathetic. it handles like a boat not only compared to my evora (obviously) but also the Holden/Chevrolet Cruze rental car I had for a week. The suspension (regardless of damper setting) gives the car a weird floaty ride that gives me (and a few others on the bmw 3/4-series forums) motion sickness for anything longer than a dash to the shops.

Your car being an automatic will of course make it easy to drive in 'D' mode 99% of the time, as I did with my Golf R (which, as an aside, also handled like a boat.) I see the value of manual as the significant boost in fun potential resulting from being so directly connected to the drivetrain... or rather, being a critical part of it every single shift.

No doubt it's probably the right move for you, but don't rule out a manual Evora (400?) in the future as I suspect it's the most complete package out there, and will be much easier for you to appreciate if found second-hand for a price that doesn't have you worried about parking it on the street.

If you lived in my area I'd recommend a Porsche Cayman, as I see them frequently nowadays and are as common as anything. They also stand out like a needle in a haystack, in case the Evora was a bit too eye-catching for you :)

Edited by chylld

what about an Evora NA Manual or IPS

That's a shame Ross and I can understand your reasoning.  My Evora sits in the garage most of the time - MOT yesterday and it had done just over 3,000 miles in a year (hangs head in shame).  But every single mile has been a pleasure, not just the track days, TLF/S3LOC meets and Isle of Man trips but every journey to the shops and ferrying the kids to activities.  There's no logical justification for my having so much money tied up in what's essentially a weekend toy, but you only live once.

I expect yours will get snapped up!

renault sport megane is a great choice as is seat cupra 280.

p.s .Hope you found some suitable candidates for your new business ,i have now got the all clear

The 4-series is a daily driver/barge. I'm not expecting wonders from it dynamically. Its for 'normal stuff'. I want to keep costs down a bit for the next year or two and if I was considering M3/C63 I wouldn't bother as I'd just keep the Evora. Its amazing but just a bit too lovely and expensive for me to feel that ragging it on a TD or using it as often as I do is completely acceptable. 

I'm really thinking about what I can do to enjoy a performance car without worrying about it too much. The Megane will be a daily driver too and I think I'd feel ok using it as such. it will be a bit odd when its gone, had a Lotus for over 10 years now..., still there's plenty of time to get another :)

The 4-series is a daily driver/barge. I'm not expecting wonders from it dynamically. Its for 'normal stuff'. I want to keep costs down a bit for the next year or two and if I was considering M3/C63 I wouldn't bother as I'd just keep the Evora. Its amazing but just a bit too lovely and expensive for me to feel that ragging it on a TD or using it as often as I do is completely acceptable. 

I'm really thinking about what I can do to enjoy a performance car without worrying about it too much. The Megane will be a daily driver too and I think I'd feel ok using it as such. it will be a bit odd when its gone, had a Lotus for over 10 years now..., still there's plenty of time to get another :)

Oh ok, fair enough. Lots of fun hatches out there fella :)

Hi Ross, I have a megane 265, you'll love it. The cornering abilities are unbelievable as is the acceleration, the RenaultSport guys achieved a great setup. 

I'd recommend the cup chassis (but for comfort I'd advise the leather seats and 18'' wheels). I drove 3 hours motorway today with it, no prob. 2 cars in 1 really.

Also, you'll find room for two adults at the back and quite a large boot. It's a great car. 

If you're not sure, I live in the New Forest, you're welcome for a quick (!) ride.

With lots going on at the moment in the business it looks like the time to move on from my lovely Evora. For me its been, ironically, a little too good. My car was bought to give me greater daily usability after realising how much time my Elise sat in the garage not being used,

But the reality is that I always felt too precious about it and it seemed a 'waste' to have it ploughing a motorway or sitting in traffic or going to the shops. In reality my old SAAB is far better suited to the task.

Also I never did a track day in it and worried about using such a nice/expensive car in that way (I know lots of people do). Its also stupidly fast and, as with many cars of similar performance, the chance to use it on the roads is very limited. 

The IPS gearbox was the perfect choice for me but I suspect 99.9% of the time I drove the car with it sat in 'D'. That says much about how little I used it's potential.

Its been a great couple of years but it's time for a change, what to I'm not sure yet, but I think I'll always be on the TLF and 'the playground' so will be back in whatever Lotus serves up next time.

Advert going up shortly...

Ross, shame you are looking to sell, must admit, i have vowed pictures of yours as keep thinking of adding some red stripes to my starlight black S.

If you think of selling your plate separately i might be interested 

Cheers

Alan

The 4-series is a daily driver/barge. I'm not expecting wonders from it dynamically. Its for 'normal stuff'.

That's the bit where the 4-series falls over a bit imo. For normal stuff, it does not drive as well as a Hyundai i30 or Holden/Chevrolet Cruze.

That said, if you are absolutely fixated on getting one, make sure you option the comfort access system. Opening the boot by poking your foot under the bumper is very handy when both hands are full of groceries/shopping/infant :) The other options I have are recommended / not recommended as below:

Recommended:

Adaptive LED headlights - far brighter than xenons
M Sport Package - for the looks
Metallic paint
Head-Up Display - hard to go back after using this
Surround View
Seat heating 

Not recommended:
Active Cruise Control - works but is very dimwitted. People behind you will get frustrated and overtake very quickly.
M Sport Brakes - grabby and hard to modulate in everyday driving
harman/kardon sound system - sounds worse than the system in my Evora and in the i30. About on par with the standard Holden/Chevrolet Cruze sound system.
  • Like 1

Thanks all for the advice. Coming from a SAAB 9-3 I am sure the 4-Series will be fine.

Any thoughts on value? i see an independent dealer selling a same spec MY11 for £40k. Mine is the MY12 though.

Relating to the big jump in Quality from MY 11 - MY 12 (also new exhaust nicer int, etc)  this should add a substantial difference, in Europe / Germany you will have difficulties to find a used MY 12, mostly new cars or dealer Demonstrators, some "first owner Lotus cars"

I sold my Evora S via SOR at Lotus Silverstone. Nice and simple process , with car selling quickly and returning a price that I reckon I would have struggled to achieve privately.

• Like 1

Relating to the big jump in Quality from MY 11 - MY 12
MY 12 snobbery! Is that allowed?

Ross asked about value.......;-)

When I was looking for an Evora around autumn / winter 2011 there were very few Evoras in the market, esp the "s" ones were quite expensive so I decided to buy a new one. Relating to the remarks of German Evora Owners and my Lotus Service Point also the Quality DID a substantial jump with the MY 12. These days (in Continental Europe) there is a huge gap between a used MY 11 "S" and a used MY 12 in my view so it depends on you what you want to spend - but in General the MY 11 "S" might be more priceworthy today

Oh dear, get the Renault and keep the Evora for weekends and evening outings. My daily driver gave up the ghost a week ago and I've been in the evora every day, wow it's been a great week!! I also took it Bedford on the 14th, it's just so awesome. I went with the guy who bought my old CSL, we had a lot of fun chasing down GT3s, c63 AMGs, Caymans etc. I had wondered if I'd done the right thing selling the CSL and in some ways I probably didn't, but I think you'll miss the Evora more.