free hit
counters
Dash colour 1975 Elite. What would you do? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
dixi4uk

Dash colour 1975 Elite. What would you do?

I am posting this in the hope of some collective wisdom regarding the dash colour on a 1975 Elite.

The dash has had to come out to replace the wiper wheel box so the thought came to mind should I change the dash colour? and what would it look like?

I have sourced various pieces of leather trim and seats from various places and in various colours. To make them all the same colour I have decided everything will be coated with VinylKote which is recommended for leather and leatherette.

The colour I have chosen is Ivory a Jaguar colour which matches the front seats that I am intending to use being XJ-S Recaros.

My dash is black grained plastic as standard and in very good condition.

The big question is what would the effect be if I coloured this Ivory?

I am having trouble visualising this.

So guys what do you think?

Has anyone done this before? any pictures?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Light/reflective dash will cause reflections in the windscreen during the day, that's why they're dark. Try putting a piece of paper on there to see what it would be like.

• Like 1

Dark dash all day long. Have you got a build thread, we need to see your progress in photos.

Light/reflective dash will cause reflections in the windscreen during the day, that's why they're dark. Try putting a piece of paper on there to see what it would be like.

This is a very valid point and one I had not considered.

• Like 1

Dark dash all day long. Have you got a build thread, we need to see your progress in photos.

No build thread as yet I have been accumulating parts including a few from you.

As the weather improves I will be getting into the hard work. (I have to work outdoors)

Pictures! I still can not figure out how to upload them. The buttons as described in the TLF tutorial are just not there when I try.

Thanks for the advice on the dash being dark. Denis also made a valid point in this respect.

You need a photobucket account, once you have that set up you simply cut and paste the link code into your post.

• Like 1

Soldave suggested this I will give it a try.

Thanks

I had an oatmeal (light beige) dash on an Elite and it was a nightmare for reflections, an ivory one will snowblind you!

• Like 1

I had an oatmeal (light beige) dash on an Elite and it was a nightmare for reflections, an ivory one will snowblind you!

Reflection seems to be the general concensus for a light coloured dash panel.

This point I take on board as it is something I had not even considered.

So black it will remain.

Thanks to all for your input.

I'd add another point - make sure the colouring you use doesn't leave a shiny finish, as this will be bad for reflections too. You want as close to a matt finish as possible on the dash. I've also had bad experiences with the lacquers that are sold to protect the colour - even the matt lacquer is shinier than I like.

Colourwise why not go for black surround with ivory inserts for the instrument and centre console panels? I've done this with a lighter blue on my Elite (dark blue interior) and got rid of the black plastic instrument cover.

ATB Richard

• Like 1

tend to agree on the light dashboard. I bought a retrimmed cream leather / vinyl  interior from an abandoned project and experimented with vinyl  binnacle just to confirm my worst fears on screen reflection. ... it was a pain even on bright winter days. 

Personally , I like the look of the black vinyl dash.

I'd add another point - make sure the colouring you use doesn't leave a shiny finish, as this will be bad for reflections too. You want as close to a matt finish as possible on the dash. I've also had bad experiences with the lacquers that are sold to protect the colour - even the matt lacquer is shinier than I like.

Colourwise why not go for black surround with ivory inserts for the instrument and centre console panels? I've done this with a lighter blue on my Elite (dark blue interior) and got rid of the black plastic instrument cover.

ATB Richard

Now here we have a solution that that I like.

Having decided on retaining a black dash as per the general views expressed on this thread I had the thought how would I achieve the flow from black to ivory.

For instance from the gear stick area in black meeting a centre console in ivory.

Richard has the possibly the perfect solution of colouring the recess around the centre switch panel, the switch panel and the gearstick cover. Add to this the panel covering the dials and to balance cover the glove box (I am not too keen on the Fablon wood effect) with ivory leather.

If it doesn't turn out well I could always revert back to black.

Well done Richard and thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by dixi4uk

Good input thanks.

I am convinced black is the option after the various replies to my thread.

Flow from ivory to black is still a possibility as I have some damage to the dash vinyl where some DPO has been a bit heavy handed removing the gearstick.

After repair I think the recess around the switch panel should look well in ivory if I can mask it up well enough.

We shall see.