free hit
counters
Engine damage question - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
NR2k

Engine damage question

Today Simon took the head off and the engine issue with the car (84 turbo esprit) became apparent. We had zero compression in cylinder 4 on the inlet, and the valves are bent. What was more of a surprise was the damage to the head and piston on cylinder 3. We can replace the piston and liner, but are more concerned about the head. Does this look repairable?

post-13408-0-61365800-1427056395.jpg

post-13408-0-79512500-1427056412.jpg

post-13408-0-05297300-1427056427.jpg

post-13408-0-87169300-1427056443.jpg

post-13408-0-21459100-1427056456.jpg

post-13408-0-07104000-1427056474.jpg

post-13408-0-27673500-1427056502.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'd have thought the head will clean up ok, but don't forget to check the bent valves haven't split their guides. :o

Yes, i presume its straight forward to replace the valves/guides. I was more worried about the pitting around the head from the 3rd cylinder issue pic 4. Or have i misunderstood you?

Is there a way of telling if these are standard pistons?

The pitting in the head isn't a real problem. You may just want to relieve it gently so that the egdes are removed. I haven't had an engine apart as yet so can't help you with your piston question.

Yes, i presume its straight forward to replace the valves/guides. I was more worried about the pitting around the head from the 3rd cylinder issue pic 4. Or have i misunderstood you?Is there a way of telling if these are standard pistons?

The pitting should clean up fine.

The pistons should be stamped with "std" if they're standard or +10 etc if they're not. :thumbup:

Be very careful not to touch the ring around the combustion chambers where the head seals to the liners, if you are going to try to clean up and blend in the physical damage to the head.  Something has got in there and been rattling around between the piston and the head!! Could be bits of turbocharger compressor....

The rest of the pitting around the combustion chambers outside of the annular seal line is due to internal corrosion of the engine; usually because it has been deprived of corrosion inhibiting antifreeze. It is of no consequence....as long as the seal is still good...but make sure you use a decent anticorrosion antifreeze on re-assembly!

You should take all the valves out and check them for straightness...rolling them around on something flat, like a sheet of glass, will reveal of they wobble about! Inlet valves are cheaper than the sodium cooled exhaust ones... A good few hours work before it goes back again!!! Have fun.......

Thanks for the comments. One more question. Looks like the pistons are standard (not what the prev owner said) are we best to replace all with forged pistons now we have come this far?

Are you just having everything else standard in terms of power? If so then no reason that normal pistons wouldn't be fine, if however you're planning to uprate anything by a significant amount, then be wary as standard pistons can over-heat and melt. There's a Simon in Norwich that melted pistons just by having the boost increased slightly on one of those engines. He had a lot of cylinder head damage as a result.