free hit
counters
Limp mode - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I just traded my Elise for an evora s. Regretting my decision because the evora keeps on going into limp mode (engine warning and traction control lights on and the throttle is limited to meh). Apparently this means the battery is dead but it was replaced last week. The tech says I have to plug it in every night to the lotus supplied battery maintainer. Really? Did I just buy an electric car? I could Understand that if I left it for a week or two but every night?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That doesn't sound right. I could understand it on a 20 year old Esprit. Who is your local technician?

Welcome to the forum by the way. Please jump into the "Introductions" section and introduce yourself. And show us a picture of your new and old cars.

You without doubt need to know what the code which is causing the MIL is. You can do this pretty easily with a cheap bluetooth ODB adapter and a free (or very cheap) phone app or your tech can plug the Lotus Tech Centre he has in (or any ODB reader).

It's certainly not the battery, especially since it's new. Once you have the code, you'll know what needs to be fixed very easily. I've had 5 Evoras over nearly 18 months and none were ever plugged into a battery trickle charger.

• Like 1

Never had that problem with mine over 6 months, left outside, often not used for a couple of weeks, never had to use a battery charger.

Not you have to put the car on the wire but the technician in order to find the failure..............

The car is at the dealership in Winston salem NC. I brought it new and the 'limp mode' was an immediate problem. So it got a new battery. I drove it daily for a week without issue. My daughter accidentally activated for the alarm for 10 seconds and this seemed to be enough to kill the battery. I put the battery maintainer on and it started the following day, and after a mile or so the engine warning light went out and vroom. I still took it to the dealership because that can't be right. So what drains the battery, other than the alarm. Or is the factory battery not good?

Dont know what the code is. Can you tell me more about doing the diagnostics myself.

All the mechanic did by replacing the battery was effectively reseting the ECU and therefore the logged fault. :thumbdown:  The battery was fine before and still is (with >99% probability).

As Bibs says your fault has nothing to do with the battery, but only reading out the ECU will get you closer to the answer. I'm actually shocked that wasn't the first thing the dealer did - not checking the fault codes first is gross negligence. :no

Trying to guess your issue here is like trying to identify which sack of rice will falls next in China while sitting in NC.

The fault codes will still be in the ECU even after a battery swap.  Only once have I experienced Limp Mode when poor gummy fuel did something to throttle /air/mix type area and it went into saver mode.  The side of the road first try was battery disconnect to reset ECU but still active.  Limped home and the AA Technician could tell me the fault code after reading it.

As far as battery life is concerned the factory fit batteries seem to last about 3 years then struggle.  Numerous posts on that.  My car sits for up to 4 weeks un-driven or started when I'm offshore and it still starts.  Granted usually I have on a battery conditioner but not always.

Maybe the throttle body connector...disconnect and reconnect...or change the connector pins to gold pins. It happened to me on the delivery day of my brand new 2014 Evora S. No problem since then. 

Welcome to TLF Warwick. :welcome:

Best of luck. As others have said, not the battery anymore. Get the codes read so you know what is going on. :detective:

My daughter accidentally activated for the alarm for 10 seconds and this seemed to be enough to kill the battery.

I thought I also 'accidentally' activated my Evora's alarm, but I now suspect this was a symptom of a bad battery, and not what caused the battery to go bad.

I too bought my car new and the standard Varta E43 battery died after just 4 months. Until then I had many symptoms like dash instrumentation flickering on/off, engine light on/off, windows randomly winding down, speedo needle not resetting to 0 accurately, and of course the car simply not starting. All were solved by replacing the battery with a new one of a different brand. (I replaced the terminals too.)

What brand/model battery is in there currently?

Thanks for all the responses. Not heard from the dealership yet so no idea on the codes, battery condition or brand. I will update when i know. Approaching a legitimate claim to shout lemon for the state of North Carolina based on the number of days it has been away at the dealership, but would just rather have it back, working.

Which dealership is it at Warwick?

Flow Lotus. Winston Salem, North carolina. Although i am certain they wouldn't want me advertising that.

Not really their call mate :)

I purchased my evora from flow as well. For what it is worth they seemed absolutely clueless about all things lotus as lotus is a small part of their business.

Update. JUST heard from the dealership. Lotus suggest swapping out the engine wiring harness. It will take a couple of weeks but hopefully I will have the car back.

:thumbup: Progress :D

Three weeks later and i have my Evora back. Engine wiring harness replaced. Fingers crossed. 

:thumbsup:

Good thing is if you bought it new, there's warranty.