free hit
counters
Another Italian thinking about a V6 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
giorgiozeta

Another Italian thinking about a V6

Hi guys!

Here there's another one : )

I currently own a FAST Duratec S1...it's a great car on track and for insane fast mountine driving, but certainly not a good cruiser when going to the Nurburging!

That is why some years ago I bought a trailer...but now I am getting bored of carrying it around: the time for trackdays is always less in my life and those 3-4 times a year that I go I would like to drive more practically my car to the track, lap it all day long and then to come back driving like I did when I was a BMW driver.

First idea was a second hand 997 GT3...but now it's some day that I've got a monkey on the shoulders saying "you are a Lotus guy inside your bones, take a V6".

First idea was a Cup.

But I see great videos of pretty stock V6Ss on track on YouTube...I am wondering if taking one of these spending something in engine and suspension upgrades: some comfortable seats, noise insulation and a stereo could be good fellows on the road to the Nordschleife or Spa!

I've many questions but the main at the moment are:

1) the brakes: are two pieces discs even bigger than stocks? Is it there a real difference in terms of performances or in vibrations in respect to the standard ones?

2) my S1 has a proper Quaife LSD and I love drifting corners on the road: would I miss it on a V6 or does the E-diff consent to play with the rear end without loosing traction in the half of the corner like it typically happens with open diffs?

Look forward to read your suggestions and comments!

Giorgio

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi although I can't help much other than to say have a look at the LF1 if you are looking for the benefits of coupe with a touch of the cup (brakes, Trofeo). We have one for track use and it's great. Driving to Spa/Ring next week from the UK. That said I do wonder if we should have gone for the cup. There are loads of people on here with more tech knowledge and track experience than me, sure they'll be along soon...

ciao  giorgio 

first things first, where in italy are you? (if Lombardia i believe PB have a yellow V6 in stock)...  and ..... what football team do you support? 

I've many questions but the main at the moment are:
1) the brakes: are two pieces discs even bigger than stocks? Is it there a real difference in terms of performances or in vibrations in respect to the standard ones?
2) my S1 has a proper Quaife LSD and I love drifting corners on the road: would I miss it on a V6 or does the E-diff consent to play with the rear end without loosing traction in the half of the corner like it typically happens with open diffs?

Look forward to read your suggestions and comments!
Giorgio

1) i have them on my v6s. no they are the same size. i haven't reached the limits of the 2 p/c yet. so cant comment on stocks. what i will say is i once had a bad brake failure once in another lotus i had and from then on i will always pay up for the better anchors option. that's just me though :) 

2) you can sort of drift the v6 on DPM off coming out of bends, but even then its not LSD ish. i have found its the only way to do it! remember its going to have far more rear end grip then your s1, so you will be going quicker and require more input ;) im not sure thats what its about though.... 

the v6 is the best touring version of the exige/elise derivative ever made. i have taken my v6s round europe 2 x.  the last trip was LDN, NCE, BCN, NCE, MI, LDN.... a few peeps on here have done the same.... so im guessing the car will tick that box! 

easy :) 

any other Q's just ask..... 

Hi Giorgio,

The 2-piece brakes are not more powerful (callipers are the same) but resist fade for longer. I've only encountered ABS once and I'd say they are seriously good brakes. A Nissan GTR was grumbling after only a few hard laps. Modern Porsches are not much better. The Exige will lap hard all day long. I think the uprated brakes are worth it for heavy track use plus they look cooler! I read there is a further, more expensive brake upgrade available but it's big money.

Drifting? Easy and huge fun in the wet, possible in the dry but you will wreck your tyres in one track day. With DPM off, you can feel the inside rear spinning up if you are aggressive with the throttle on tighter hairpins but the Exige encourages a neat driving style. The DPM in race mode will do a good job of giving you all the power the rear tyres can handle. Sport will allow more slip angle but will use the brakes to bail you out of a bigger slide. To date an LSD wouldn't have had much use in my car. Of all the corners at Spa, for example it would be nice for exiting the bus-stop and La Source but redundant for all the other corners and would not be worth the likely penalty of more understeer everywhere. One of our members has done 1.46 at Spa in a V6 Cup. The car works very well without an LSD. Something front engined RWD, like an M3 will always be better for sideways antics. Traction is generally very strong exiting corners, you have to be a bit brutal to unstick the rear in the dry, get the car rotating with a sharp lift on the throttle and throwing in some lateral g. But generally sliding in the dry feels like a mistake, not a party piece.

Here I am!

First of all I live in Turin...but I'm not a Juventus fan, my favourit club is Torino F.C.

If I'll go for the actual V6 I will probably look for a new or second hand "S" (even for some trackday) soit will  very probabily have standard brakes: nice to know they're strong enoguh! 

I thought the Cup had bigger AP calipers, or maybe it's the further upgrade you talk about...it isn't clear on the brochures.

About drifting...I'm sure it has planty of traction on track with so wide semislicks even with an open diff.

Where I like to close some corner with the rear is in mountine driving: on the S1 I use to have expensive track dedicated tyres and some cheap hard rubber to burn on normal roads on another set of rims.

I think I would end to fit a Quaife diff on the V6 if I bought one.

1.46 is a great time (1.55 is my actual best on poor toyo R888)!

I saw another 1.46 on a standard black V6S of a german guy (youtube)...the same of that long wet drifting video you already know for sure  :clap: