free hit
counters
Compomotive polishing - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PhilW

Compomotive polishing

I am trying to clean up and polish my Compomotives but it is very difficult if not impossible to clean around all the bolt heads and the valve.

I am considering taking out each bolt one at a time maybe two to give room. Obviously with them deflated.  Alternatively I split each wheel but feel slighly reluctant to do this as I believe they can be a bit of bugger to reseal.

Also if I separate the pieces completely would the tyre need to be removed first. then as i put them back together can you build the wheel around the tyre....if you know what I mean!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cleaning the rims are a pain, I didn't think of removing a bolt at a time though!

I have heard its hard to get them to seal properly too so personally would not split them. Saying that - aren't the wheels supposed to be split to change the tires anyway?

Dave, Tried to PM you.  Think your mail box is full

Phil

If your wheels are not leaking air I'd be very reluctant to touch the bolts, even one at a time.

i still have the orginal stickers inside the wheels, so if i polish them the sticker is gone.. but they stil look okay!

Barrie

Any wonderful tools you know of to make a lovely polishing job in the difficult areas. I.E. around the bolts and the valve.  I think yours are lacquered.

Hopefully we can discuss at Brooklands which I have every intention of attending at this moment in time.

The compomotives were originally anodysed for a satin sheen as opposed to a mirror polished finish. Sadly there's no way of restoring that as anodising can only be successfully done on flawless, new wheels. So machine polishing is the only option for us, still looks good, I'm happy with mine but I prefer the anodysed look. I've looked into it but no-one can do an exact copy of the original wheel barrels with the rolled edges. So I'll stick with what I've got for now. They are high maintenance but things of great beauty usually are!