free hit
counters
AD08R? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I see people using Michelin or Pirelli, but no AD08R Yoko?

Do people not use or rate stickier tyres?

I run them on my vx220 and they are a perfect match for road and track.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Do they come in Evora sizes?

Yokohama AD08's were used in the development of the Evora but they weren't the best partner through the process, hence it being released on Pirelli's. I'd imagine the Yoko's will be a good tyre for the car but I think you'd be one of the first to use them. 

I've got AD08R's on my Elise and think they're excellent btw.

I'm very interested to know - I love them on my current car. If the 19/20 sizes are 235/35/R19 and 273/30/R20 then I can find the fronts, but haven't found the rears yet :(

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s24p114361/Yokohama_Tyres_Car_Yokohama_AD08R_Advan_Neova_Yokohama_AD_08_R_-_235_35_R19_87W_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_F_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_3_Noise%3A_75dB

It wasn't the AD08 that were used in the development of the Evora Bibs, it was the Advan Sports. I had them as my second set of rears and found them spot on. Have no experience of the AD08's but I reckon it's worth a go.

• Like 1

For me (in the vx) they are the perfect mid point between road (Bridgestone/Pirelli etc) and a fully track oriented/expensive tyre like the 888 or A048

The sizes are correct, but the load and speed ratings from the OEM Pirellis are ZR 92Y front and ZR 96Y rear.  See my post below asking for any views on Mich PSS, and then what I bought!

It wasn't the AD08 that were used in the development of the Evora Bibs, it was the Advan Sports. I had them as my second set of rears and found them spot on. Have no experience of the AD08's but I reckon it's worth a go.

Quite right. Sorry, got my Advan Neova and Advan Sport mixed up! 

Not a regular Trackday goer but have in almost 2 years done Spa twice, The Ring, Alton Pk and Goodwood...

The one thing I've never struggled for in the Evora is grip on the OEM P-Zero's (I could do with 400bhp though

The sizes are correct, but the load and speed ratings from the OEM Pirellis are ZR 92Y front and ZR 96Y rear.  See my post below asking for any views on Mich PSS, and then what I bought!

88W is 560kg and 168mph?

So is it 560kg per tyre? Combined front axle of 1120?

88W is 560kg and 168mph?

So is it 560kg per tyre? Combined front axle of 1120?

I don't know about the KG per tyre, but I just wanted to keep to the original ratings. At £480 for the set, they are a bit of a bargain at the mo, and like auRouge says above, the Evora doesn't lack grip at all. Even in the wet I find the Pirellis are excellent - did Castle Combe last year with fairly worn tyres in very wet conditions for 2 sessions - no probs, went past all the Eliges very easily. 

Know of a number of very fast cars running AD08R's (including several in Exige V6's).  They're as good (if not better) than the semi comps of a few years ago (such as A048's, RE55's etc)...  

If you don't mind a bit of tyre noise, they're excellent tyres for someone doing a mix of street/track duties.

• Like 1

I am running 215/45/16 AD08Rs on my 2.5 excel all round.  They are the best tyre I have ever used.

VERY predictable breakaway characteristics, very stiff sidewalls, very high levels of grip (you can feel this in the compound as you drag your finger over the rubber)

The downsides for me: -

Stiffer ride

Damp conditions, grip is not spectacular in comparison to some others BUT who goes balls out in the wet anyway?  :sofa:

The dry grip and drive confidence far outweigh any downsides and it's a performance car.... get over it  :P

Well, despite doing this yesterday on Sunday in my Celica

https://youtu.be/m81WtCl2U-8

I'd still like some on what's soon to be my Evora at some point. Last year I ran R888s and AD08s and while the 888s are better in the dry they are absolutely deafening on the road and too soft to drive to and from track days without wasting loads of rubber.

IMHO the AD08 is about 95% of the track performance of the 888 and the best road tyre I've ever used, wet or dry. I plan to race entirety on them this year.

Well, it's too dark and foggy to be brave, but at sensible road speeds, on greasy cold (8-11C) roads, they seem great so far! :)

These are obviously not winter tyres but my drive to work today in 2C air temperature on mildly moist roads was plenty grippy for me :)

I think these are at least as grippy as the brand new Pirellis that were on the back of the car when I bought it - can't wait to try these on track!

When I was caught up in snow after a cup of tea at Scotts during the drive it day last year, the AD08Rs were still predictable.

They still had some grip in these low temps and breakaway was predictable at very low speeds if somewhat reduced.  Very very delicate pedal touch was however required.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gravel said:

I think these are at least as grippy as the brand new Pirellis that were on the back of the car when I bought it - can't wait to try these on track!

How about March 22nd?

3 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

How about March 22nd?

Very tempted - I have a fantasy about going to Spa with LoT that week though...

But Snetterton makes more sense - even got an MSV voucher for Xmas :)

I'm up for new tyres on my n/a Evora, 18/19" and after having had AD08R's on my Elise I am wondering if there's any up to date reports about running these (or not) on the Evora instead of the OEM Pirelli's. I realise that the kg/tyre is less than the OEM tyre but the 88W (560kg) should be adequate for the Evora at 265/430kg per axle.

Not quite the same but I put a set of the Yokohama V105 on my Evora recently (18/19). Only used for road driving so far but seem more communicative than the Pirellis were and no grip issues. Since putting them on I saw in one of the magazines a Porsche test driver saying they had them on the Panamera for the hot laps of the Ring so they're probably adequate for the Evora...

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, looks like they would be a good alternative to the OEM Pirelli. I was looking for something a little more grippy for fine weather weekend driving that would still be compliant with the original suspension setup.

Do they actually do those in both the 18" and 19" sizes? When I looked I could only find the 19s, the various tyre websites kept coming up with PS2 or 3 for the fronts.