free hit
counters
Fuel pump for 88 carb/turbo - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Cushing

Fuel pump for 88 carb/turbo

Tried to start the car after being under restoration for a year,  and found fuel pump to be dead. I've ordered a Bosch 040, will this be ok for my car ? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Same car as mine. You need to be careful about which one you buy which needs to be suitable for the turbo rather than the na. After researching I decided to go with the one being offered by SJ Sportscars which was specifically for the turbo. Sorry not sure whether the Bosch 040 is ok.

The operating pressure is rated at 6.5bar (90psi), the Esprit has a regulator which I thought was set to 4bar, and what doesn't get used goes back into the tank. So is it the higher pressure that's a problem ?

Sorry cannot answer that but what you say seems logical. At the time I remember reading that it wasnt advisable to fit the more common fuel pump which I think was used on MGBs etc as the turbo required a different one. When checking prices I just decided that the SJ Sportscar one wasnt that expensive so it was not worth taking the risk. As its a simple fit, just try out the one you have.

0580245 040 flows only 102 l/hr at 6.5 Bar -perhaps (?) could be used as a primary, but not as a secondary pump

OE primary pump # 967 flows 148 l/hr at 5 Bar (could be substituted by #984)

OE secondary pump # 979 flows 165 l/hr at5 Bar  M12x1.5(F) - no substitutes

First pump provides volume and second -pressure.

(F) = Female fitting with internal check valve.

* Operating voltage = 12v, test pressures indicated are also suggested maximum operating pressures.

Flow specifications achieved after initial “running in” period of 20 minutes.

Make sure that you getting juice at the pump terminal/lugs. If you do, hit the pump with a plastic (not rubber) hammer whilst power is applied.

If nothing happens, take them off the car, pour some ATF oil (3/4) mixed w (1/4)acetone into each one and let them sit for a 1/2 day. Hit them w/plasti-hammer applying juice to the lugs in forward and backward order. These pumps can run in both directions with no harm.

Before all of that, take the check valve off and drop it into an ultrasonic cleaner for 60-120 seconds. The ball check inside gets always stuck.

The difference between $50 and $300 parts is minimal, usually a nicer box, fancy label w/Bosch logo, sometimes they're even painted. The only real difference is that 300 bucks part MAY have Heli-coils installed, but really, they all are made by the same factory in communist China!

Edited by MrDangerUS

OE primary pump is inadequate since it flows only 148 lph. It should be replaced by any pump flowing AT LEAST 165 lph.

i cant seem to find a good diagram of the fueling tank systems to pumps... My esprits fuel system was disassembled and i know they are a little different before and after 88. thanks for any info on the parts and pieces!