free hit
counters
Esprit V8 Owner - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Grahaml

Esprit V8 Owner

Well - at last.....

I have properly joined the club - I have my Esprit  :)

Picked it up yesterday from Bell and Colvill

2000 V8 in Norfolk Mustard Yellow -you won't miss it!!!

The test drive was comparatively brief so the 450 miles or so I did driving it home certainly gave me a chance to experience it.

It is quite powerful and it is nice to sit at almost any speed in top, press the throttle and accelarate - fast!!  Pretty sure-footed too.  I did more miles in the car yesterday than it did the whole of last year!

Not great fun in heavy traffic - and there was a fair bit of that on the way home.  I am glad I live in Scotland in that respect - the roads were so much clearer as I got to the northerly part of the M6 and then the A702.

Heavy clutch!  A bit on:off too and I am still prone to stalling it!

Limited adjustment on the drivers seat rails - my wife can barely reach the pedals - she shared the driving for a bit - on motorway only.

I will get better pictures later - here's a couple I took on the way home.

post-5301-0-13224600-1427536054.jpg

post-5301-0-04141600-1427536063.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
:thumbsup:

Congratulations! Looks great in yellow.

:thumbup:

Beautiful! Think of the bright colour as  a safety feature!

Buddsy  :thumbsup:

Lovely - enjoy

Looks fantastic .....Great looking car .Mike

Congrats Graham, you're finally in one. Really pleased for you and glad I was able to help you decide. Look forward to seeing you at the next LEGS outing.

Looks great well done, get another V8 owner to try out that clutch for you - it shouldn't be heavy, fierce yes but not heavy. :o

Edited by jonwat

Lovely.

Interesting you saying the clutch is on/off, I found the Porsche 996 is much worse for this, the Esprit although heavy, is much more forgiving.

Nice Car Graham, I remember picking mine up and having to drive it home up the M1 in the rain. I hadn't driven one before. And having read a post by a guy who crashed his, on the way home from buying it. I was terrified of doing the same, so there i was ,sat in the slow lane of the M1 at 40 mph grinning from ear to ear. !!!!!!!

• Like 1

Although being fun to drive fast, it's also fun to drive slow, as you say.

Congrats on the nice new Esprit.

Cheers,

Jacques.

I didn't apprecviate how "special" the Esprit is - it gets attention everywhere.

I went to my local Euro carparts yesterday to buy a wiper blade and when I came out the local mechanics had gathered and asked to take photos of it.  

My first experience of doing anything to it didn't go that well though.  I was fitting LED sidelight bulbs - nice bright white and low power.  When I pressed one in it just pushed the bulb holder out the back of the lamp.  I thinhk I can peel back the rubber gasket and undo another couple of screws to get to it - ah the joys!!

I just like to look at it - stunning!! :)

led lights are the way to go reduce the wear and tear on the cables and current draw, that has to be good for the lotus, electric fires are not uncommon...which led bulbs did you use...I would like to change all of mine, including the headlights..

Hi - sorted the front sidelight issue and fitted the LED sidelight bulbs

I used the same on my porsche, nice bright white light, low watts, low temp and no filament to break.  I will work round all the bulbs in due course - I just happened to have these bulbs handy.

I bought them on eBay - just looked they are only 0.3w each! cost for a pair was £2.59

listing is here

- but in case someone looks at this after the listing is gone here's a picture

post-5301-0-41867400-1427748832.jpg

Lovely looking car Graham.

I think it's confidence inspiring when you buy a car of this type a long distance from home & get home without issues :)

Whilst my clutch is quite aggressive I wouldn't say it was particularly heavy ( certainly much lighter than my 1980's 911 ave comparable with a bmw m3 & Nissan skyline I've had in the past), so maybe the mechanism is slightly stiff due to the lack of use ?

Well it's now had a few more days use - I am using it as my daily for now, even although it's not really ideal conditions.  frozen windscreen on day 1, wet and cold (plus a touch of sleet/snow at one point) on day 2, cold and slippery roads day 3!!

I don't think it is stiff - it all feels like it's moving freely enough.  Maybe not that heavy but it feels like it's a sort of cam effect - like once it's past a point it's lighter?  It is quite fierce though and it feels like not much flywheel effect on the engine so it's a definite skill - and I'm getting there.

Although the car was registered first in March 2000 - looking at the VIN I think it was a '98 build - would that have an effect on the type of clutch fitted?  My son when he first sat in the car and pressed the clutch said "is it a twin plate clutch?" - it felt like the one on an Evo he had once.

I had emailed Lotus to get the manufacturing details but a wee bit dissapointed to find they want £50 from me - or £75 if I also want more details of how many other cars of the same model, ytear, market,. colour there are and where mine came in the build sequence.  I will probably pay but I wasn't expecting that!

The car causes a stir everywhere though - I went to Euro car parts to get a wiper blade and came out to their mechanics taking photos of it. Petrol last night - and extra 10 minutes speaking to the garage owner about it,  On business on Monday in their car park it's photo was taken and posted on facebook with a caption "nice change from the bloated euroboxes we normally see here"

Pulling out from the filling station last night, first gear ,out onto the road, there was a car coming up behing me so I gave it just a small blip on the throttle to get up to speed - and it spun the back wheels.

Looking forward to some nicer weather though so I can enjoy it more.

You're lucky people look and take notice. I have the only Esprit where I live (pop 228,950) and my car barely rates a glance from people that I can tell.

Maybe I am driving in the wrong areas?

I'd say my pedal feels consistent throughout its travel, my car did have a new flywheel and clutch assy fitted just before I purchased her. Maybe some other people with older clutches might chime in on this one.

I believe your car should have the later twin plate clutch. I think lotus upgraded to the twin plate mid 97

And most V8's were retrofitted with the twin plate anyway. You'll more than likely have the twin plate clutch. It's a little digital but I never found it hard work in 3 months with a Sport350. 

Lovely car, great choice. Should prove nice and reliable.

V8 twin plate is still kinda stiff, and I agree, quite digital. But once you get used to it it's kinda nice. How about that perfectly weighted power steering then?