free hit
counters
Alternative clutch options (2011 Evora S) - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Kier

Alternative clutch options (2011 Evora S)

My 2011 Evora S needs a new clutch :(

(Whether or not the clutch should have failed after only 30,000 miles is a whole different conversation, but let's put that aside for now!).

So my car's been in the garage for 6 weeks, but Lotus aren't able to provide a replacement clutch. Not only are they out of stock, but apparently there's been some sort of disagreement with their supplier, so there doesn't appear to be any on their way either.

I can't remember the make of the current clutch supplier (I think it was just some initials) and I have no idea what the issue is between Lotus and them, or any indication of if they are likely to get any more clutches within weeks or months?

Is anyone aware of any alternative clutch options for the Evora S? I was told by the garage there weren't, but I thought with the vast array of knowledge on here some of you might know of something out there?

Thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would be telling the garage or asking Lotus directly (which they probably won't divulge :( ) to give you the name of the supplier and go straight to them.

That, or maybe Bibs or someone else knows something when they come on.

30k miles (~50k kms). How were you driving it?

I don't think I'd have been driving it any differently than many other Evora owners? I.e. On occasions I like to put my foot down, but I'd also want to look after my rather nice sports car.

Sometimes long drives, sometimes just about town, just normal average stuff. It was on 11k miles when I bought it (ex Lotus demo) so I've done almost 20k in three years.

No track days. I did do a few demo runs at a car event, but that's no different than flooring it away from some green traffic lights, something an Evora should be able to do with ease every now and then without it ruining the clutch!!!

Edited by Kier

It was just a question for info. I would not think you would deliberately thrash it. I suggest other owners with much more experience than I will be along.

Hope you can get it sorted out. :)

Didn't someone else post about their Evora clutch giving up recently? Had a quick search in the Evora section. Have a look at these as well.

Thanks, good idea about going direct to the supplier as well, I hadn't thought of that. I've mentioned my clutch going on a different thread, maybe thats what you're thinking of. The whole discussion around if it should/shouldn't have gone yet is probably for the 'clutch life' thread. Here I just wanted to find out about my options for sourcing a new clutch!! Cheers for your suggestion :)

I never thought Toyota. Did not think it would be standard. That'd be nice. :)

I never thought Toyota. Did not think it would be standard. That'd be nice. :)

I don't believe it would fit as Toyota never matched the Evora gearbox to the 2GR-FE engine

It's at Williams in Bristol Bibs.

Clutches should be available from Lotus as of tomorrow :)

• Like 1

It's an AP clutch, isn't it?

Also, don't the MY12 cars come with an uprated clutch and a lightened flywheel. Have you thought about upgrading to those?

Was planned but never happened I believe.

Was planned but never happened I believe.

Ah. (Rats!)

I read it in the May 2012 version of the parts catalog (sic): "Transmission (S only): sports ratio gearbox fitted as standard, lightweight low inertia flywheel and heavy duty clutch (S only)." http://www.mylotusgarage.com/catalogs/evora_parts/ Page 4.

Edited to add: Acutally, am I getting my wires slightly crossed? Does the S have the 'lightweight low inertia flywheel and heavy duty clutch' when compared against a N/A?

Edited by Bravo73

Yes, I read on a US site that the S has a lightened flywheel compared to the NA.

You can "upgrade" the NA, but you need to replace flywheel plus all clutch parts.

I believe it's 5lb lighter than the NA version.

Clutches should be available from Lotus as of tomorrow :)

Great news, thanks for confirming! :) :)

• Like 1