free hit
counters
S2 headlamp adjustment advice please! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
directordanw

S2 headlamp adjustment advice please!

Hi all,

So after working fine for a while the o/s light pod now refuses to lift - and can't even be persuaded to do so with the winder underneath.  The strange thing is that when I remove the headlight and detach the actuating rod the motor happily spins up and down in time with its neighbour.  The only assumption I can make is that the actuating rod is the wrong length - I did adjust them previously to get the lamps to sit flush with the body when closed - and that it somehow putting undue stress on the motor because of this inaccuracy.  The logical conclusion would be that they were too long and therefore preventing the motor from starting its travel.

Before I start the fun of trial and error to see how they adjust I wondered if anyone has experience of adjusting these rods and if there were any tips that could help on my way.  The workshop handbook only covers vacuum pod lights.  Which isn't very helpful!

Thanks, Dan 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I haven't adjusted the pods myself. A friend of mine has done it with the work of a complete weekend.

That you can't mechanical wind them up is strange. You know that you have to push the winder a bit until it get in gear?

I can't imagine that the rod has the wrong length.... Are both rods different in length?

Thanks Don, I know it seems odd but with the pod disconnected the motor turns quite happily so it has to be something to do with its attachment to the pod that's preventing it.

My thinking was, when it works on one side with the length, why shouldnt it on the other ? Maybe a connector or the Motor itsself has not enough juice for working with mechanical resistance?

Hi Dan ,Had a similar problem wasn't easy to spot but I found whilst turning the knob the motor arm and push rod in a certain position

fouled each other and jammed , overcame this by putting spacer washers between the two

could be worth looking at

Cheers  Ian

Thanks guys. I'm sure it's something to do with the mechanism, not the motor. But it's so tricky to observe it in action! Just a case of trial and error I guess.

Managed to adjust the rod so the lights both rise and fall perfectly. The rod was slightly too long and placing undue stress on the motor. There's a lock nut just by the eye that attaches to the rotating arm. Loosening that meant I was able to adjust the length but now it's too short so when closed the pod sits lower than the level of the body. So I'm going to have to keep adjusting until I get the perfect length to sit flush without impeding the action.

Unless someone knows an easier way to adjust the height? Thanks.

Hi There , When you adjust the rod travel you must put the lamp back in and see where it stops as the weight of

the lamp can throw the adjustment out

cheers  Ian