free hit
counters
Factory Speaker Options - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

The 1981 Turbo which I used to own had front speakers in the front corners of the fascia and rear in the bulkhead, which is quite standard I think.

The car I now own has the same rear speakers in the bulkhead but no speakers, or any evidence of having had any, in the fascia.

It does have speakers in the doors. This was almost a reason not to buy this car but in the end I did, with a view to possibly having the bottom part of the door cards re-trimmed to get rid of the speakers.

But then again, are these original maybe? How come it doesnt have speakers in the fascia? Or was there a 2-speaker factory option (bulkhead only) and someone has added the ones in the door? I prefer the cleaner "no speaker" look of the fascia actually.

post-16906-0-59831000-1427745074.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Early Turbos with the 2 speaker option had front speakers in the top of the doors. I'm beginning to think those that chose the 4 speaker option had them in the dash and the rears behind the seats. It could be though that maybe the very early Turbos all had the speakers in the doors and your last car was one of the first ones to change to fronts in the dash

Edited by stephenwhyte

OK so the speakers would have been mounted behind the perforations in the upper part of the door trim. Makes sense but must have been pretty weedy speakers to fit there.

I likely will get the bottom sections re-trimmed and take the opportunity to get it done in leather rather than the vinyl which these sections originally are.

I'm with you though regarding not having the speakers in the dash - I think they look better in the doors but also agree quality can't be great........but we are talking about 1981 and most stereos must have sounded pretty poor back then.

My 82MY has the two speakers in the door only. As mine is cloth, they are covered with huggy bear material with no perforations.

Chris 

Interesting Chris - so it's sounds as if we are leaning more to early Turbos whether '81 or '82 model with 2 speaker option had them in the doors and the 4 speaker option (which is on the price/option list) had the fronts in the dash. Until someone comes along to tells us that their early Turbo has 2 door speakers and 2 rear

Stephen, have you got a copy of the option list & prices, be interested to see what mine could have had, but didn't.

Yes Chris here is a price list from 1981........interestingly no mention of a 4 speaker option.

imagejpg1-7.jpg

And another from 1982 - still no mention of 4 speaker option

image.jpg1_4.jpg

And finally one from 1984 where it clearly mentions the 4 speaker option.....anyone got a 1983 one ha ha!!

image.jpg1_3.jpg

Edited by stephenwhyte

Just been looking at some photos and noticed that the change of front speaker position coincided with the move of the ashtrays from floor to doors. I'm turning into a proper anorak!

Were the front speakers for the Essex in the doors?

Edited by stephenwhyte
  • Like 2

The ashtray move happened later, when they revised the trim and introduced the adjustable seat backs and various other changes. My first Esprit which was a very early dry sump Turbo had the dash speakers and sill ashtrays.

Perhaps the 4-speaker option was included with the "Radio Cassette" option.

Note the model options, Essex Turbo Esprit, Turbo Esprit or Esprit S3. No "S3 Turbo" which is a model invented on this forum. Sorry couldnt resist it. I'll get my coat (anorak) :)

• Like 1

The ashtray move happened later, when they revised the trim and introduced the adjustable seat backs and various other changes

You've got the ashtray move wrong Andy - it was actually quite an early change. I would say 1983. The adjustable seat back only came in to being on the HC models when Lotus changed the seat material and got rid of the ruche leather throughout.

It's fun being sad!!!!! ;-)

Mine has only the one option, the Radio/Cassette & two speakers.

At least I think it was a radio/cassette I replaced in 1987 - although I guess the reason for replacing it might have been that it didn't have a cassette - I can't remember that far back.

You've got the ashtray move wrong Andy - it was actually quite an early change. I would say 1983. The adjustable seat back only came in to being on the HC models when Lotus changed the seat material and got rid of the ruche leather throughout.

It's fun being sad!!!!! ;-)

Yes you are right. The parts list confirms that. In fact there is every permutation of ashtray, no ashtray, speaker perforations or not, listed for the early door trims. So the sill ashtray cars could have front speakers in the doors or dash it seems.

If you think this is anal try the Ferrarichat forum where I have a post count of over 2000 which is somewhat disturbing, where they will discuss whether a particular bolt was originally yellow zinc plated or bright plated :)

Mine had speakers behind perforations in the doors (or there would have been perforations if the car had not had the doors re-leathered). They were tiny and rather knackered when I got the car. I now have speaker boxes on the end of the sills in front of the hand brake on the drivers side / equivalent on the passenger side. I used old Jag speaker grills and then carpeted the boxes to match the sill carpet. They are not bad but not particularly big. Then I have speakers under my seats which are not great either. I ideally need them in the rear firewall but will need to cut the holes which will take a bit of effort... I have fitted the RM610 roof stereo onto the roof and run an iPod through it (amp fitted behind the passenger seat). I have re-located the clock to a bespoke panel (black leather) above the air vents in front of the gear stick. 

Here's another alternative to add to the list........perforated speakers in the dash. First I've seen this - Lotus do this or someone later?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/esprit/lotus-esprit-turbo-1984-fabulous-and-desirable-glacier-blue-metallic-one-of-the-timeless-lotus-colours/3708495

Edited by stephenwhyte

I have a 1985 Turbo that was sold without a radio as confirmed by Andy Graham.

However it has 4 Blaupunkt speakers, 2 in the dash and 2 behind the seats.

Anyone know how that option works?

Does anyone know which model of Toronto would have been in a 1985 Turbo as I would like to fit a period radio?

And finally one from 1984 where it clearly mentions the 4 speaker option

image.jpg1_3.jpg

This is the Toronto SQR 32 as per the price list above - pricey!! In fact almost as expensive now as it was then

Edited by stephenwhyte

Here's another alternative to add to the list........perforated speakers in the dash. First I've seen this - Lotus do this or someone later?http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/esprit/lotus-esprit-turbo-1984-fabulous-and-desirable-glacier-blue-metallic-one-of-the-timeless-lotus-colours/3708495

I can now answer my own question after finding a photo in an old mag I have - the Essex Esprit had the perforated speakers in the dash under the window. That was certainly a surprise when I saw that - so this must have been the original design and then the fronts were first moved to doors with perforated leather holes in the doors and then back to actual speakers fitted into the dash finally. All very interesting if you're an anorak like me anyway

Edited by stephenwhyte

If you think this is anal try the Ferrarichat forum where I have a post count of over 2000 which is somewhat disturbing, where they will discuss whether a particular bolt was originally yellow zinc plated or bright plated :)

I feel your pain.......I've got a post count of nearly 2000 on the a Rover SD1 club forum. Keeps us off the streets I suppose..... Edited by stephenwhyte

My 82 dry sump turbo has ash trays in the sills, 4 speakers, 2 in dash and 2 behind seats. It also has the perforated leather on the dash. I have a Clarion C980 radio cassette. I also have an amplifier fitted behind the passengerside footwell panel.

The original radio fitted was a Panasonic 973.

:)