free hit
counters
Worth replacing the speakers in the V6S? - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TonyKL

Worth replacing the speakers in the V6S?

Where do you guys install the subs? I've seen photos where people have installed them in the passenger footwell but I took a look the other day and I have cables and tubes on that back wall.

passenger.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Mark

Pop back to page 1 of this thread and see Peter's (ArthouseCompany) post with pics.

I also went for the same sub, and put it in the equivalent place for now. I say equivalent because I have no footrest in the 350, so now the sub IS the footrest. I intend to install rivnuts into the cross beam above the footwell, and "hang" the sub from those, because there is actually plenty of height to the foot well for such a tiny sub.

Despite having been given a tracking number, DynamicSounds realised that actually no they don't have any stock of the Focal 100AC, so I've gone off on a different tack and thrown down on a pair of JBL GTO429. I've used GTO's in the past and been happy. Amazon Prime for tomorrow so I can fit them over the weekend. Hopefully another fitment data point.

Did you manage to get this done @MartynB

Are the speakers any good?

can you guys confirm these focals fit?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00IDBSELK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494275072&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=focal+100ac&dpPl=1&dpID=41jAXWz0ArL&ref=plSrch

also pushed the button on the pioneer 120a but undecided on front speakers.

Edited by BatMobile

I fitted the Pioneer MVH-X580BT along with the Focal 100AC (fronts) and Focal 130AC (rear)

As mentioned, the focals fit however for the fronts you have to use the original speaker grills; not the focal ones as these are too large. However they do fit ok however the grill does touch the tweeter.  I've not been worries about this, if need be I'm sure I could raise the grill a little to clear.

edit: I've not bothered with the sub, don't use the car enough to worry about it

Edited by TonyKL

13 hours ago, TonyKL said:

I fitted the Pioneer MVH-X580BT along with the Focal 100AC (fronts) and Focal 130AC (rear)

As mentioned, the focals fit however for the fronts you have to use the original speaker grills; not the focal ones as these are too large. However they do fit ok however the grill does touch the tweeter.  I've not been worries about this, if need be I'm sure I could raise the grill a little to clear.

edit: I've not bothered with the sub, don't use the car enough to worry about it

how do the rear speakers sound? mine are on the way in the mail along with my tiny amp which i'm hoping will fit behind the head unit 

14 hours ago, BatMobile said:

Did you manage to get this done @MartynB

Are the speakers any good?

can you guys confirm these focals fit?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00IDBSELK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494275072&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=focal+100ac&dpPl=1&dpID=41jAXWz0ArL&ref=plSrch

also pushed the button on the pioneer 120a but undecided on front speakers.

Hey, i just installed them last week and took photos of the install which you can check under the other post below

Edited by usurp

For those that have put the pioneer sub in.

i will put it in the footwell, I get the running it up the side and removing the passenger pocket where the USB is to run everything across to the head unit.

can anyone explain what needs to be poked outside (accessed via the front access hatch)?

where did you guys fuse it? Ground it? Power it?

sorry for the newbie questions but this is the first one of these I will be doing and I want to ensure it's done perfectly. 

2 minutes ago, BatMobile said:

For those that have put the pioneer sub in.

i will put it in the footwell, I get the running it up the side and removing the passenger pocket where the USB is to run everything across to the head unit.

can anyone explain what needs to be poked outside (accessed via the front access hatch)?

where did you guys fuse it? Ground it? Power it?

sorry for the newbie questions but this is the first one of these I will be doing and I want to ensure it's done perfectly. 

hey when you do that could you document the process with  photos? I want to also add a sub but thinking it might be too much work for me to handle

Of course buddy, will put a step by step guide of what goes where.....provided I succeed! ?

Edited by BatMobile
  • Like 1

To save you drilling anything .... Just below the LH front speaker, under the dash, there is the main 2 post binding box for +12V directly from the battery (black plastic box). If you remove the speaker and the blanking plate just above the USB socket you can just get to it, well depending how good you are in working in confined spaces while in the Lotus position that is! Anywhere suitable on the chassis for ground like the seat mount or under the dash.

Usual rules apply, disconnect the battery but read the section in the manual about disconnecting battery first, and do be aware your poking right next to the airbag! Make sure you have a suitable fuse as its not fused at all! The loom that comes with the Pioneer TS-W120a should already be fused

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

Ok its in. 

Like others have said, what a difference, its literally night and day from before.

I have the sub on half way and on the stereo the sub is -2 but its still almost too much - you could go smaller and not worry about it or if you go for the same route turn it down. 

I have the factory speakers in at the moment but the focals come tomorrow so excited to get those in as it should help balance the sound out nicely.

I ended up using Toby from shocks away - he does a lot of lotus cars for back on track - and he was great, gave me extra cable length so its easy to remove on track days. Cost me £90 but considering it took him well over an hour to install it, i am glad i did as i would have been out there a lot longer! 

@usurp I will post some pics of where he put the ground and power for you but he ran everything the same way as the other guys mentioned on page one.

• Like 2

Sorry I only just saw your message, so my advice was way too late. Glad you got it sorted.

I have a vibration on a the front right speaker. how do you remove the grill ? I would like to solve that before my roadtrip next week end...

thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, geartox said:

I have a vibration on a the front right speaker. how do you remove the grill ? I would like to solve that before my roadtrip next week end...

thanks for your help.

use a toothpick, just stick it in the grill and lift up

...or take a small paper clip. Open it out straight. Curve it round into a U shape, the size of your index finger. With a pair of pliers, bend each end, about 5mm from the end.

Should look like this, kinda...

prongs.png.4d3e2f40d978ec461df7fc0e2b0de3bf.png

But smaller. The wire should be thin enough to fit through the holes in the mesh. The prongs want to be slightly turned in to match the curve of the edge.

fit them into the mesh, in the vertical bit around the edge, very close to the plastic rim. Pull up, while keeping the prongs in the holes.

Mine was much harder to pop out than I could have exerted with a toothpick. YMMV

The mesh grille is held in by a rubber trim ring. Don't worry if it starts to peel off, you can reattach it once you have the grille off.

ETA: Ah, I see you managed to work it out Nicolas. I'll leave this suggestion and frankly, work of art, here for future generations to marvel at.

• Like 2

Do any of the new heads improve the radio reception in any way, or is there something I can do to help with that as simply cant get a good reception.

Martin S

I use such a active DAB splitter. It powers the FM signal and also splits it into FM and DAB, so it's perfect for modern head units with digital radio.

Unfortunately they all seem to fail after one or two years and need to be replaced. Don't know why. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connects2-CT27AA136-Universal-Splitter-Installation/dp/B00RVP2QTU

Yeah, that's the one I got too. Only for completeness really, as I only use Spotify and Waze/ Tomtom.

On 2017-05-08 at 22:56, TonyKL said:

Do you have any pics on what this look like? The installation of the front Focals

Edited by PeterSweden

15 hours ago, PeterSweden said:

Do you have any pics on what this look like? The installation of the front Focals

I've taken a couple of pics for you but currently my internet connection is down so will have to wait until I can upload them - engineer visit booked for Saturday.

On 2017-04-30 at 19:29, TonyKL said:

Thanks, I've just finished getting everything in the car, including USB to both sides.

As I fitted a bit of sound deadening below the speaker (creating a kind of bucket) this slightly raised the grills so nothing seems to foul.  I would have liked to keep the focal grills to match but as you said they don't fit inside the dash and would look far too high otherwise.

Hope you managed to get the rears replaced!

@TonyKL

Thanks!

I am going to fit Focals front now. What kind of sound deadening did you use and where?

Edited by PeterSweden

I actually bought this stuff (only because it was all they sold and I ordered speakers from here also)

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/stinger-rkst36b-roadkill-sound-damping-vibration-proofing-mat-18-x-32.html?search=stinger

It has a sticky back and feels like a soft playable metal (aluminium).  I crossed two pieces and then bent it to make a kind of bowl shape for the speaker to sit in.  Not sure if it's made any difference but it hasn't made things worse.  Doing it again I'm not sure I would be bothered but it would be easy to remove I guess.

I'll try and upload those pictures from my phone.

IMG_0442.thumb.JPG.f1726a969e30672cb2e192fb3f25c9cb.JPGIMG_0444.thumb.JPG.1f0e7d56efd32fa6f11e9fd6ba0c231d.JPGIMG_0445.thumb.JPG.5da9de74ab9c0e8cdfb960557b4a3b47.JPG

• Like 1