free hit
counters
Worth replacing the speakers in the V6S? - Page 6 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

11 minutes ago, ratmbe said:

there is a rubber around the gate, which was not fixed, I already made the passenger grid which she was all alone.

Edited by ratmbe
  • Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have now installed the Focals. Here is how I did! Sound deadening   Speakers Removing current speakers   Focals compared to OEM   Addi

Dave, i was the same. The speakers are very easy to swap but the sub needs some knowledge. i used http://www.shocksaway.com/contact.php he does a lot for back on track customers and wil

Pry it off. The painted metal has stuck to the polyurethane finish of the "leather". Mine were quite reticent to come out, but we persuaded with a flat blade screw driver and some patience. There's no

Posted Images

On 09/04/2018 at 10:46, DJV83 said:

So I had focals, updated HU with BT and Hands Free alot with an alpine sub. All sound proofed. All fitted by Toby, lovely guy and did an amazing job couldn't fault him or his work. 

Pics attached! 

Dave 

MyCollage_1.png

I notice that your 4" grills are fitted into the dashboard recess, unlike many other installs of this speaker.  Do you know how this was achieved and do you have more pictures please. (was the plastic surround cut down, or a totally separate surround used?) cheers

• 1 month later...

Focal 100AC fitted. I made cups to sit underneath from Dynamat. I can’t tell really how much difference the cups made - but overall it is a noticeable improvement from the stock 2 speaker setup.

Clearer sound and more bass - certainly when stationary. First test drive to follow.

You can fit the focal grills - if you screw them over the speakers rather than fitting the speakers over them.

They stick up quite a bit like this however - will live with it for a bit before deciding if to go back to standard grills.

793269A0-76AC-4AAD-BB7E-46074C606C4B.jpeg

👍

Out of interest, what tool did you use to remove the screws? Something like a low profile ratchet screwdriver? I had a quick go at mine the other day though the screws are stuck stiff/wouldn't budge! I'm worried that I may damage the screw head if I force it...

I just used the screw head from a ratchet screwdriver kit - maybe 2-3cm long.

Mostly the screws could be undone using finger strength alone (2017 Exige 380) - where this wasn’t possible, I used an adjustable wrench / spanner and closed it down to the size of the screw bit and gave that a few turns.

I couldn’t use the ratchet screwdriver given clearance under the windscreen.

In summary, I would say that with the standard Clarion head unit and two front Focal 100AC with cups underneath made from Dynamat, the sound has gone from ‘ok’ to ‘decent’.

I had previously assumed that I would definitely need a subwoofer- now I am wondering whether I absolutely need this for my use of the car. Will live with it for a bit and make a call. It’s only a small cabin to fill with noise.

Certainly, a sub woofer would improve the bass and likely make the setup ‘good’ (to my ears subjectively).

However, as is, the tone / clarity is definitely improved and bass is better - obviously not epic, but not terrible for someone that likes good sound but is not a car audio fanatic.

I haven’t done a motorway journey yet - perhaps that is where you need more bass to offset the general noise from the road / chassis.

Edited by Five50
  • Like 1

Cheers @Five50

Looks like the screws in my Exige must've tightened a bit too much when they were originally installed. I also tried using an adjustable wrench/spanner with a screw bit though they wouldn't budge! Will try again, ta!

I think I saw a pic somewhere of someone using a socket / ratchet wrench (with arm at 90 degs to the screw head / bit) which would be perfect - but I didn’t have this. 
Good luck with it.

• Like 1

I swapped my fronts last week for the focal; and did the cup underneath using mat that came free with the speakers. Screws were hand tight but I also a cut down small screwdriver to do them up a bit tighter. If not rubber gloves (for grip) and the screwdriver head only from a socket set does the job.

Main problem was where the grill wouldn't move or the panel underneath, but a quick blast with a hair drier solved that as they had just stuck in.

Notable improvement to the sound so plan to do the rears as well now.

Martin S

ps The bent paper clip idea was a great one for getting the mesh off.

Edited by MARTIN_S
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, my Exige didn't come with rear speakers (just a couple of plastic covers). Having spoken with the chaps at B&C, they reckon the wires are installed and it's just a matter of removing the plastic panel behind the seats to locate them. Anyone had a go at this / able to share instructions / pics pls?

• 3 weeks later...

Incase anyone is interested, I managed to find a way to wire in my own cables for the rear speakers without having to remove the rear plastic cover/panel behind the seats. Details in my reply to this topic: