free hit
counters
Additional Camber on the Exige V6 - Page 3 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Additional Camber on the Exige V6

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

@JG220 looks like you were not alone in wanting more camber...

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Hi Chris,

I meanwhile got my data form the shop that did the adjustment:

Front Camber: -0.733 degrees (left) -0.566 (right) and Rear Camber: -1.733 degrees (left and right)

I am not sure if the shims are the same both sides but realized they gave me 5 shims (so 1 is left in the car?!?) When I asked why they left one. They reminded me that they asked me weather I usually drive alone on track or with a passenger before they did the adjustment and that they optimized for a driver only setting and therefore adjusted the front Camber different left & right to optimize the balance... Lotus Motorsports recomends that is what they told me... 

I took out 5 x 1mm shims from the passengers side, and 2 x 1mm and 1 x 2mm from the drivers side. So 1mm more on the passengers side. Will give a tad more camber on the passengers side, but since tracks are clockwise, should be ok :lol:

I should be able to get down and do an alignment tomorrow, but just checking what i should be expecting. 

Recently had some setup work done on the CupR, results below.  Still have room for more negative camber both front and rear -- this was made possible by milling the front hubs and relocating the rear guide plate for the eccentric camplate.

Edit:  I should add that I'm running Yokohama slicks.

Alignment:corner balance.JPG

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

3 minutes ago, Jack said:

Recently had some setup work done on the CupR, results below.  Still have room for more negative camber both front and rear -- this was made possible by milling the front hubs and relocating the rear guide plate for the eccentric camplate.

Alignment:corner balance.JPG

How does it feel to drive? Only thing i would say, is with that much camber and fromt toe, it may heat up the edges a tad. I have a pyrometer just to keep an eye on where it will start wearing.

looks good though 

Much improved.  I just edited my earlier post to reflect that my car is on slicks.  

We also went with some softer front springs, and it really helped with understeer mid-corner and corner exit.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

10 minutes ago, Jack said:

Much improved.  I just edited my earlier post to reflect that my car is on slicks.  

We also went with some softer front springs, and it really helped with understeer mid-corner and corner exit.

Must be some mid corner/exit speed to understeer on slicks and with almost 3 degrees! B-)

Awesome cars!

1 hour ago, Chrisc said:

Must be some mid corner/exit speed to understeer on slicks and with almost 3 degrees! B-)

Awesome cars!

The problem for me was the understeer at relatively slower corners, where any aero benefits are nil. With ~2.5 negative camber up front (the most I could get with all shims + abs bracket out) and ~1mm of total toe out, trying to get on the gas early (i.e. before the apex or no later than the apex) at slower corners, the car would push.  If that slower corner leads onto a nice straight away, lap times can suffer. ;)

1 hour ago, Freejack said:

Jack, which spring rate are you driving and how did you manage the rear camber?

Please excuse my/our questioning terrorism ;)

Believe it or not, the stock spring rates for the CupR on the Ohlin TTXs is:  Front--170Nm (~969 pound/in); rear--225Nm (~1282pounds/in).  We tried 900 pound (~158Nm)  and 850 pound (~149Nm) springs, settling on the 850s after testing. Rear camber adjustments are made by moving the rear pivot bolt within an eccentric camplate, the max we could get before relocating the guide plate (which requires some welding) was -2.6 degrees.  We have yet to determine whether we will stick with -2.9 in the rear or go with more or less negative …… more testing required.  

Regarding rear camber adjustment, probably this photo will help explain what I'm trying to say -- after all, they say a picture is worth a 1000 words. :) 

rear camber instructions.png

• Like 2

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

2 hours ago, Chrisc said:

I took out 5 x 1mm shims from the passengers side, and 2 x 1mm and 1 x 2mm from the drivers side. So 1mm more on the passengers side. Will give a tad more camber on the passengers side, but since tracks are clockwise, should be ok :lol:

I should be able to get down and do an alignment tomorrow, but just checking what i should be expecting. 

Interesting ... just checked ... my shims are 2 x 2mm and 1 x 1 mm on the left side and 2 x 2mm on the right side... 

@Jack thanks for all your patience in answering those questions ... not easy to find somebody really knowledgeable about those topics on Lotus... ;-) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi all,

I am thinking about removing the abs brackets to further increase front camber. I understand the abs brackets are there to mount abs cables and connectors. My questions to those of you who already have removed the abs brackets: Did you mount the cables and connectors in another way or just leave them unfixed? If so, did this cause any problems?

Many thanks in advance,
Ulli

Edited by Ulli

^^^ what Imran said.  Just check that there is no strain on the wires by turning the hub assembly full lock in both directions while the wheel is off.  Easy.

I went the zip-tie route until getting the front hubs milled -- now I have added back some shims.  With slicks, we are now running 2.9* negative up front... may remove one more shim (good for ~ .25*) based on tire wear and tire temps.

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

1 hour ago, Ulli said:

That sounds good, thanks a lot for the info!

Do you remember if there is something more suitable than the springs to fix the zip-ties to?

Do you mean the shock springs??!!! If so then no way zip tie it to your springs...

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

Don't get me wrong, I don't like this idea at all! At a first glance I had the impression there is nothing else that I could use, but I will have a closer look at it. I am pleased to read you seem to have found a much better solution.

A-arm …. you will see it's rather obvious where to secure the sensor with a zip-tie once you remove the wheel.

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR