free hit
counters
towing points on esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
simon a-b

towing points on esprit

Hi all,

I've had to be recovered a couple of times, and moved the car while doing the renovation work when we moved house.  This has always been on a flatbed tow truck, winched on backwards using the engine cradle as the hard point to attach the winch to. 

Is there a point on the front anywhere that is suitable for this, so the car goes onto the tray forwards?

It's all so light up the front, and hard to get to without putting load on bodyparts- has anyone done this or got suggestions?

Cheers,

Simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Don't do it

The only solid bit at the front is the chassis - and that's well back from the nose - and the rad pack is in the way.

Drag it on backwards - puts the weight in the right place on the transporter.

It defo will not fit on an A-frame!!!

If you've already been recovered a couple of times - it's bedded in nice and should start to play nice soon - give her some love

http://www.nationwide-trailer-parts.co.uk/webbing-winch-brothers.html?gclid=CLmjsqbR0sQCFeoJwwodXooANg 

Winch Brothers are what you need. They loop around the front suspension on both sides. That what the guy used when I was hoisted onto the flatbed a few weeks ago. I went straight out and bought a set for the future...just in case! No good for towing any distance but ideal for a short drag.

Pete

Some (later) Esprits are (or can be) equiped with a front towing eye.

I made something similar when the radiators were out of the car. I used aluminum bracing to the fixing point for the spare wheel and back to the crossmember of the front suspension.

@Pete, wouldn't the winch brothers still push the front bumper upwards, unless you could keep the winch cable very low?

Yes Filip. the cable has to be quite low. We had to push the car up tot he ramp but then the slope of the ramp kept the cable below the spoiler.

Pete