free hit
counters
Engine cover heat shield? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chillidoggy

Engine cover heat shield?

Anyone got a photo of the underside of the engine cover? I've just made a new heat shield, and I want to make sure it's the right shape, and going to fit, as mine had disintegrated, and I had no pattern to work from.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No, that's not the S4s cover. It's the heat shield above the turbo I'm trying to identify.

Ian, mine is buried but if you've not got a pic soon give me a nudge and I'll dig it out.

I think it's fair to say I haven't exactly been inundated with photos so far, so I'd really appreciate that, Glyn.

Didn't think there was any difference if any, between the High-Wing engine cover of that of the S4s, both being charge-cooled and featuring the louvred deck...so I am curious to see a pic of the S4S so I can spot the differences...

Well, here's the S4s cover. The heat shield to which I refer should have been in the corner nearest the camera. It had disintegrated, and I'm not sure what shape it should be, whether it's a simple flat plate with a curve, or whether it follows the contour of the cover.

2015-03-28%2017.51.15_zpstp7fbwl9.jpg

Sorry I can't help as mine is missing too although what's left of it is still riveted to the cover. These bits look like cardboard although I'm sure it isn't, I can only presume they weren't very durable & most have been damaged when removing or storing the cover, I'm curious as to what shape it was though.

Wow Ian. I expect your car would be younger than mine (S4) and my cover is in great nick. What causes yours to look like that? :shock:

I can photograph mine, though I don't know if it will help?

Glyn, mine was the same: remnants of the heat shield rivetted!

Michael, the cover looks like that because my wife has been stripping again. A photo of yours would help if it's the same engine cover, and it's heat shield is intact!

Roger wilco! Back soon.

post-4653-0-55057700-1427956178.jpg

It's a woodie type of material. Hope this helps.

Hmm. Just noticed the step in this section of the cover on yours. Based on mine, it was nothing fancy. Your turbo must have a bit more mumbo than mine.

"...my wife has been stripping again.  A photo of yours would help."

Hehe.

• Like 1

attachicon.gif2015-04-02 17.18.44.jpg

It's a woodie type of material. Hope this helps.

Hmm. Just noticed the step in this section of the cover on yours. Based on mine, it was nothing fancy. Your turbo must have a bit more mumbo than mine.

Is there no gap under your shield, then? Or does the GRP just go straight across?

You can see my cover dips down, but it was definitely a standard S4s turbocharger fitted to the car, nothing larger.

"...my wife has been stripping again.  A photo of yours would help."

Hehe.

:hrhr: I missed that. Well done. :thumbsup:

Is there no gap under your shield, then? Or does the GRP just go straight across?

You can see my cover dips down, but it was definitely a standard S4s turbocharger fitted to the car, nothing larger.

My cover is straight across there and does not have a step like yours. I am presuming that the S4s turbo is larger possibly. There is no gap between the shield and the engine cover. I would think yours starts out like mine but smaller on the angle section and then has a second one where your cover has the step.

I wonder if the S4s and S300 might have the same engine cover? There must be a reason for the air gap, and isolation is probably it.

It looked like it was some kind of GRP shield originally, I could see the glass fibres in the remnants. I've still got some Firefly millboard, but there's no way it will bend around, so I shall fabricate a curved alloy one, and cover it with heat shield material.

That's exactly what I need, and am much relieved to see it's a simple job. Photos to come later.

There you go. The difference in the engine cover may be isolation as you have suggested. Lotus certainly did not try to follow the S4s cover. Just from here to there and 'job's right'!

This is what it looks like after about 3 hours work - it might have looked like the foil was about to fall off, but that wasn't the case in all areas. Also, the gelcoat has parted company from the base in some areas where there's high temperature, near the turbo. It's not too bad, and will stand re-covering, though.

2015-04-03%2013.40.44_zpslefnr5pg.jpg

2015-04-03%2013.40.31_zpsguce742k.jpg

And after yet another day's work, I managed to finish it off. I covered it in Thermal Velocity's heat-reflective insulation, in the hope that it will keep the cover around the turbo cool. It was showing signs of heat distress in that area. The new heat shield looks OK.

2015-04-04%2016.48.49_zpsjyjcl0jq.jpg

2015-04-04%2016.48.40_zpslnd05pdd.jpg

• Like 2

Tres chic!