free hit
counters
Lotus Motorsport wheels - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I was talking with Lotus Motorsport today regarding the 18in wheels they do and they mentioned they can only recommend term for track use.

I know this is a stupid question, but why would this be?

Also they are 18inch wheels with 8.5j front and 10j at the rear, so does anyone know what size road tyre would be best?

I just fancy a change of wheels and these look good ( I think they are team dynamics 1.3), the cars not a daily drive and I do track days with it

I was thinking about getting the full chassis package but that was very expensive!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I was talking with Lotus Motorsport today regarding the 18in wheels they do and they mentioned they can only recommend term for track use.

I know this is a stupid question, but why would this be?

I'd have thought that they aren't Type Approved with the car so they can't recommend them for road use. 

Wouldn't that apply to any aftermarket wheels? Or does Lotus have extra hoops to jump through as the cars OEM?

Extra hoops. When cars are built, they go to Motorsport for modifications as the modifications can't be done on the production line as Type Approved cars. Only the Type (or EEC) Approved wheels can be used to maintain the approval. 

What about if you bought direct from RimStock?

ie, if I ordered some Pro Race 1.3s direct using the right size and offsets?

You can put whatever wheels you like on the car, the manufacturer can't, that's all :)

What about if you bought direct from RimStock?

ie, if I ordered some Pro Race 1.3s direct using the right size and offsets?

Cocopops, I've been looking at exactly the same thing this morning I.e pro race 1.3.

If you order any, can you let me know offsets etc that you order. I was thinking doing the same 18/19 combo that I have. Looks like some sites do good deals with tyres

Cheers

Alan

I have actually emailed RimStock last week, just chased again.

They sorted a group buy for the VX220 owners club 2yrs ago, sold 50sets of 16/17 combo wheels at a very good price.

Could be a good way to get some spare (lighter) track wheels.

I requested info based on:

Front        8.0J x 18H2
Rear        9.5J x 19H2
Inset Front    + 52 mm
Inset Rear     + 69 mm
PCD         114.3mm
Centre Spigot    68mm

These sizes/measurements were taken from the Evora wiki (evorainfo.net)

I'm also very interested in this conversation (pending closing the deal on a car!)

For track day wheels/tyres, wouldn't it make more sense to have the same size wheels front and rear? (The aesthetics would suffer slightly though).

Indeed.

I've just had a response from rim stock... They can only do 18s, in 8.5 and 10inch wide, same as lotus motorsport setup.

awaiting pricing info and will report back.

• Like 1

Taking it one step further, does anyone know if the 10" wide wheels will fit on the front of an Evora? Has anyone tried it?

If they do fit, I'm aware that it will effect the handling. But the front grip should be phenomenal. It was a trick that some of the CSL crew use.

I've got a set from Lotus Motorsport which I've fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 225/40-R18 (front) and 265/35-R18 (rear). I also looked at the Avon ZZR but couldn't get a good deal on them. The Michelin tires works great on track. Main reason to buy the rims from Lotus Motorsport was to make sure I got the correct offset etc. 

post-13648-0-29048700-1427918300.png

• Like 1

I'm also very interested in this conversation (pending closing the deal on a car!)

For track day wheels/tyres, wouldn't it make more sense to have the same size wheels front and rear? (The aesthetics would suffer slightly though).

Bear in mind standard OEM wheels/tyre grip is already unbelievable.

Can someone explain what you gain to me? (numpty question) I looked up Pro Race 1.3's and they look like wheels you can already get for the Evora.

There is a part of me which wonders what you do to the suspension setup that Lotus have already worked out.

I'm not saying don't do it (don't know enough), just wondering about the gains? Ta.

Edited by ramjet

There should, theoretically, be a number of advantages.

The wheels themselves should be lighter. Lighter wheels = less rotating mass so better performance for turn in, braking and acceleration. ie less gyroscopic force (and precession) to overcome.

Next, there should be a greater selection of tyres in 18" sizes, particularly track-orientated tyres. 18" tyres are also generally cheaper than 19"s and, especially, 20"s. If all 4 wheels and tyres are the same size, then they can be swapped front to rear to equal out wear. Front tyres tend to wear quickest on the edges, particularly with high camber.

That's just a couple of advantages off the top of my head but please take everything that I say with a pinch of salt. I am just a keen amateur. The pros might have a different take on things.

The f-r thing I understand as I can't do it on my car. The lighter weight thing confuses me (not from acceleration etc as that is obvious) but from spring rate etc?

ps I'm also an absolute amateur

Edited by ramjet

OK,

Prices came back, dealing direct with RimStock:

£150 for front 18x8.5

£175 for rear 18x10

Both prices are plus VAT, based on Gloss Black.

Other colours are £10+vat more.

Is this something worth pursuing?

I believe it is.

Those are prices based on 1 set.

If we ordered a number of sets, further discounts could be applied.

@Bibs - How are group buys done on TLF?

I'll drop you a PM to discuss.

• Like 1

Post a topic asking if anyone is interested in a group buy with the details. :)

A group buy will more than likely all be in the one colour.

Not necessarily.

For the VX220 group buy, we had 50sets of mixed colours. Hence the additional £10+vat for different colour.

I would suggest we start a list of intersted parties:

1. CocoPops - 1 set - Anthracite Gloss

2. LotusMiles - 1 set - Gold Gloss

Once we have a decent list, I will then confirm 100% where we stand with colours/delivery/discounts etc.

Must resist, must resist!

Cracking prices though!