free hit
counters
Esprit YKO 48S, probably red, previously YVG 789S. - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
John Lakey

Esprit YKO 48S, probably red, previously YVG 789S.

200J is the first ROW S2 13/6/78

400G is the first UK S2

June / July / August look like ramp up of S2 build, ready for September release.

The S & T markets are USA and show the importer Rolls Royce.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That's great info Clive, for me anyway, thanks. I've been reading and researching and came up with little save for realising that S2 owners don't refer to their cars by the build number like the S1 guys seem to. It's understandable given it's the Mk2, but at the same time strange seeing as there weren't many more S2's built than S1's. Numbers (and info in general) seem to vary greatly depending on where you read so it's difficult to become a proper anorak  :whistle:

Is the date of release in Sept. '78 known?

@Tocus, is your car 9th of August or 8th of September?

George

Edited by GTK

The S1 is easy to work out

100G to 381G UK   282

100H to 652H US    553

100J to 162J ROW  62

Total 897

But that includes S2 prototypes that were then sold as S2's and crash test cars.

Now for the hard bit S2....

400G to ??? UK

200J to ??? ROW

and H & S & T for US...

Lotus Habit for skipping VINs to make it look like they've built more cars....?

I have 465G, 66th UK S2 built August.

August they launched the S2 then had 2 week shutdown, ready for cars for reg 1st Sep with new T reg.....

Clive

So no joe public S2's reg'd before Sept. 1, '78. If you don't mind me asking Clive, do you know your date of registration?

Hi

Mine has August Chassis and Engine and came of the Line 5 Sept and sold and registered a week later.

There is also the grey area of unsold S1's then converted to S2 spec....... who's going to buy the old car!

Clive

There is also the grey area of unsold S1's then converted to S2 spec....... who's going to buy the old car!

Never heard that! So there are some S1's in the 300 range that look like S2's from the factory.

I was hoping mine would be an early car but I think (nothing confirmed yet) that it was first registered the week after yours. They'll probably have been close on the line.

interesting info! Thanks! so i have a S1 build over to S2. LOL

Never heard that! So there are some S1's in the 300 range that look like S2's from the factory.

Sorry that was supposed to be more of a question, I'm totally guessing that the VIN numbers of those cars would be in the 300 range. That's assuming Clive is correct :P

There is a picture floating around of the S2 production line with an S1 behind the S2s. According to the factory a number is raised upon the placement of an order, so they are not necessarily consecutive. Never heard the tale about updating unsold S1s before, would like to hear that backed up by a factory source

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

There is a picture floating around of the S2 production line with an S1 behind the S2s. According to the factory a number is raised upon the placement of an order, so they are not necessarily consecutive. Never heard the tale about updating unsold S1s before, would like to hear that backed up by a factory source

Here's an example of an unsold S1 car converted to S2, but had heard it elsewhere before, somewhere......

VIN 7705 0243H

You can search for it on here

http://www.lotusproject.co.uk/

Clive

That's us told  :harhar:

Another typically brilliant Lotus foible, does the crazy ever end!? I did wonder why I was seeing S1 cars with S2 front ends.

After months of pre-order it seems these gold S2s are hitting the shelves. Definitely on Santa's list, been personally been waiting for a decent model of this possibly finest iteration of the Esprit for years!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

What about this Esprit S2. I took the pictures at Brooklands in spring this year. Second picture shows the Colin Chapman picture in the boot.

Maybe it is just a look-alike!

IMG_20150510_104935.jpg.5b1c4e7230465201IMG_20150510_104901.jpg.d7a702baf6feadc8 

/Kim

/Kim 

That's my old S2 I sold earlier this year. It is the 1978 motor show car but not the one in the photo with Colin Chapman. I did the research last year. the Colin Chapman car is chassis number 400G the first S2 off the production line and was first registered YVG789S. It had a unique two tone seat colour which can be seen in high quality copies of the Chapman photo and road tests of that era which featured YVG789S.

I hope this helps.

Cheers Mike