free hit
counters
Re-upholster Front Seats, is it worth it? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
superdavelotus

Re-upholster Front Seats, is it worth it?

Since missing out on various seats, I visited my local upholstery company this morning called Car and Marine Connections. They have given me a quote to do my front seats in black or grey leather on outer edges with alcantara type material to centres with double crossed stitch (Bentley style) patten in a contrasting colour. Add 'Recaro' or 'Lotus' logo in contrastin colour. Also sides panels to rear where it's plastic in alcantara. All for £750. They said that they could also do my centre arm rest also in alcantara with cross stitch pattern for another £50, so £800 all in.

So what do you think, should I or shouldn't I?

Their work isn't bad, they've done some S300 seats in the past for me.

They can't fit me in for at least a month due to their workload.

Regards,

David Walters

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That sounds like a bargain to me. I was reckoning on about £1K for the front seats and probably another £500 on teh balance of the "Premium Pack" replacements. This being without he cross stitching.

I wouldn't do the center armrest in alcantara as it will probably wear fast. Also, if you drive with short sleeves it gets very dirty very fast (skin & oil transfer). 

Thanks for the advise guys. I am a little worried it's too cheap and wonder how good the job will be?

Good point on the arm rest but it could be redone again for less than £100.

Have they got pictures of previous work? Sounds a good price but I would want to see what they've done in the past before I committed.

David,

Two questions?

1. Are your seats that bad?

2. Are you planning on keeping the car?

Personally I'd prefer keeping the car original and after market upholstery might look good but moves away from the way Lotus intended it.

I've used these guys before on a 911 restoration. Paul is brilliant, if I can dig up some old photos I will.

http://www.leatherrevive.co.uk/leather_seat_repair_for_car.htm

Really good results, just depends how bad your seats are.. Have you got photos?

Cheers,

Brij

Hi Brij,

There's nothing wring with my seats, nearly in mint condition apart from one scuff on driver's side bolster which can be gone over with a bit of leather dye. The rest is perfect.

The only reason for changing is that I missed out on the recent listing from Lotus of some cheap Evora seats in various different colours. I wanted a bit of colour in my interior, that all. The black with red or yellow stitching would have been ideal, nothing to bright.

When I took my car to trimmers, they thought I was mad to get them done as all their customers only go to them when their upholstery has damaged or worn. They suggested that I buy a wrecked pair of these seats as mine were so good.

The company I went to is called www.carandmarineconnection.co.uk

To be honest, I am now having second thoughts...

David

Hi Brij again,

I've just seen your link about seat restoration, I've done this several times with all my Esprits using liquidleather which is a Gliptone product. I've even changed the colour of a seat and even done a two tone system. I used to do Esprit owners cars back in the day as a hobby.

This is my current seat. As you can see it's in excellent condition with just a small mark to side bolster.

IMG_2048_zpsbf3cab7f.jpg

Ahh ha. I see your just playing! Fair enough.

I saw those EBay seats and considered them but discarded the idea as having new seats in my 4 year old interior won't look right. Rest of the car has aged a bit.

Out of interest do you have any suggestions as to how to renew the plastic back panels to the Recaros? Previous owner and indeed my own children have scratched them.. I was thinking of getting them wrapped but then this goes against keeping my car stock (apart from the Larini which can of course be reversed). Can you buy just the plastic backs?

Any suggestions warmly welcomed

That's a question for Recaro...

RECARO Automotive Seating
Stuttgarter Strasse 73 
73230 Kirchheim unter Teck 
Germany

Phone: +49 7021 9350-00 
Fax: +49 7021 9353-39 
E-mail: info (at) recaro-automotive.com

Hi all,

Update to my seats. I bought some half leather and half alcantara brand new seats from Lotus recently which cost less than recovering. I had to modify the seat runners but I did this myself so didn't cost anything. The seats are now in and look a treat, I will a post a picture on here shortly.

I now have a spare set of seats which I haven't decided what to do with yet. I may have some plans for them or might sell to create space and recoupe some costs of new seats.

David

David,

Now this I want to see! Alcantara clad seats... Sounds great.

When Lotus do a Cup or R version of the Evora 400 I hope they use lots of it, metal and nothing else! Apart from a twin turbo and 500bhp

Hi all,

I bought some half leather and half alcantara brand new seats from Lotus recently

Out of interest, were they alcantara or suedetex?

It is Suedetex but it's not a product people are familiar with so called it alcantara instead.

Hi Brij,

If you decide to replace you rear side panels then you'll need to strip your seats down in order to remove them. The leather covering must come off first which is tricky until you know how it comes out. Once you do then it's really easy and will only take less then hour to strip down, replace parts and reassemble.

I had to do this when making alterations to one of my seats.

Regards

David