free hit
counters
EML light & Dead Sensor...? Need Advise - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
alias23

EML light & Dead Sensor...? Need Advise

Hi Guys, not ran the car for a month or two and decided to get out on track last Wed. Two runs into the day and the EML light sparks up. Let the car cool down, turn back on (in hope) but nope light still on and decide to take to local lotus dealer, thankfully only 15min drive away.

Turns out the sensor after the cat is dead, obviously a new sensor is needed which I have to wait for as none in stock at time. But the dealer has advised that if I am doing lots of track days I should consider a decat or sport exhaust to cope with the high temps and spirited driving.

They went on to tell me of a similar Exige owner who had a similar issue which over time resulted in the cat melting blocking emissions to flow and causing back pressure and heat to push back into the enginet ultimately killing it and requiring a new block. I saw the evidence of the damage and it looked pretty bad.

I'm obviously now freaking out and unsure what to do...

This dealer I've always found as honest and reputable.

I've asked them to replace the sensor and check the condition of the existing cat if possible at time of replacement of the sensor to see if this shows any cat damage or further concern.

Should I take these concerns seriously or just take it as a dealer who had a customer who had an extreme situation which has spooked them to be now super cautious and paranoid?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Decat would mean new exhaust manifolds because the cats are in them?  (The US Evora up to MY12 iirc had on top of the manifold cats an extra cat before the backbox, decat pipe available)

Yes decat means new exhaust manifolds.The Exige V6 has 2 cats,no extra cat before the backbox.

Here is a picture from the Larini exhaust manifolds:

PICT0196Large_zps65e245c3.jpg

Picture of oem cats:

PICT0198Large_zps53163920.jpg

Don't think I'll be looking to decat if involves manifold change which pretty much means just go full aftermarket exhaust don't get me wrong would be a nice upgrade but I doubt would pass UK track day noise limits!

Given the cup cars are catted and used primarily for track is this risk real?

Given the cup cars are catted and used primarily for track is this risk real?

This, what is different to the cup cars?  They get blasted around tracks without problem.

I think that's the point there is no difference think the dealer is being paranoid...

I would certainly have no qualms about running a standard catted car on track. It does sound like an isolated failure, I've not heard of anything like that before.

Looks like isolated, cats perfectly fine and all resolved under warranty.

Dealer paranoia and isolated case. Glad all ok and happy to report I'll be back on track on the 27th ;)