free hit
counters
Elite drainage holes - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Emmerg

Elite drainage holes

There are a pair of drainage holes in the boot lid channels that drain away water when any gets past the boot lid seals. The holes are connected to a pipe that runs to the bottom of the bodywork.

Does anyone know how those pipes are attached to those holes ? Mine came off and the boot filled with water ! It looks like they are held on by just a load of sealant of some sort which seems particularly Heath Robinson

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

glued in....silicone or the like.

Richard

Similar problem on my Elite. The rigid fittings to which the flexible pipes are attached easily come away if knocked. I am planning to glass mine in place from underneath.

The drainage holes are also quite small so I regularly have to clear them using an old piece of strimmer line.

On the subject of drainage holes, can anyone tell me where the (rear) roof drainage pipes run?

ATB Richard

There are rigid fittings ?? All mine seemed to be held on with was a load of silicone like gunk.  Cant believe they lasted 5 minutes let alone 34 years....

yea, unfortunately, many items on the Elite are quite flimsy and need some attention as they won't stay in place long. Long time Lotus problem on all their models.

The drip trough around the rear glass is drained through the tubes that run from the bottom of the window trough to the lowest point on each side of the trunk ( boot as you call it ). Mine were clogged and most of Elites no doubt are too.

There is a hole the same size for the tube to fit although it is so small it is difficult to keep open. You may want to enlarge the tube and hole to make it less susceptible to dirt debris etc. Not sure there is a better way to drain the water coming off the rear glass but a shorter tube would be better if only slightly. Best solution is to keep your car dry but that is nearly impossible if you drive it much.

If you glue them back in place, some compressed air blasted through the top entry hole occasionally will keep them clear.

I think the originals were only ever siliconed in place, crap huh? There are loads of fudges like this that should just last until the car leaves the dealer's showroom.

"On the subject of drainage holes, can anyone tell me where the (rear) roof drainage pipes run?"

The roof channels just flood out onto the back window under the trims via a little notch in the extrusion! Easily blocked, no pipes.

• Like 1

I enlarged the holes to take some hose that i got from a garden center fish tank area and super glued in place. Its lasted four years so far with no blockages. Cost about £1.00

• Like 1

Beggars belief really how shonky it is !

So my top three bugbears

those drainage holes

that crappy bit of really thin black plastic around the instruments that is just pushed in place

the fact your can't change a tape (old skool) when in 5th gear

and maybe a fourth - the boot floor - what are all those cut outs for ?

I am sure others have worse !

Yes we all know the shortcomings. But i love mine to bits so different to so many cars on the road. I have been to many car shows and my Elite is normally the only Lotus and many people ask why they had not seen one before.

Have a look at the list of cars at the Duxford show and out of fourty cars there is only one Elite.

• Like 1

I am not really knocking them as I love them too. But very advanced in some areas and backwards in others

Beggars belief really how shonky it is !

So my top three bugbears

those drainage holes

that crappy bit of really thin black plastic around the instruments that is just pushed in place

the fact your can't change a tape (old skool) when in 5th gear

and maybe a fourth - the boot floor - what are all those cut outs for ?

I am sure others have worse !

those drainage holes: agreed but some helpful suggestions in this thread.

that crappy bit of really thin black plastic around the instruments that is just pushed in place: agreed - I got rid of mine and cut out a flat fibreglass sheet trimmed to match the interior cut out to take the instruments and clamped them on so the bezels can be seen. Looks better too.

the fact your can't change a tape (old skool) when in 5th gear: agreed (CDs are even worse) - get an iPhone or similar and play your music through one of those bluetooth/fm adapters

ATB Richard

Pics of your dash would be interesting Richard.

Regards Clive

I park my elite on a slight incline with front of car lower than back ,water then runs away better down sides of windscreen ,also take carpets out ,saves condensation problems/ wet insides