free hit
counters
HELP - Smouldering engine mount - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
BrianandAstrid

HELP - Smouldering engine mount

Hi All,

I successfully completed a round trip from Greenwich to the West Midlands which ended in heavy congestion in London last night in my S2 Eclat.

After parking outside the house I noticed a burning rubber smell and smoke coming from the left hand side of the engine!

On investigation I spotted the left hand engine mount rubber (the one next the the exhaust manifold) smouldering and glowing red!

As anyone else come across this, is it a usual fault or problem, is there supposed to be a heat shield in that area?

I've had this car for several years and not noticed this problem before...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi there should be a heat shield on the engine mount, It is shown in the service notes p44 in the engine section

Hope this helps

Regards Dan

Thanks Dan, I thought there might have been, it's either fallen off or removed by a previous owner. Brian

I think it is something that you might have to fabricate as I would be surprised if they are still available, bit from the picture very simple to make from a piece of nimbus lite or similar

Regards Dan

I have run an S1 in heavy traffic without the little shield.  I do wonder if something else has contributed.  Like cam cover oil leak running down on the mounting. 

Yes, it's only there to prevent engine heat shortening the life of the mount, not to prevent it catching fire! What else happened?

BTW, I use a square of exhaust wrap material.

Edited by ramjet

Don't think there's an oil leak and I can't see any thing else that might hVe caused it, a bit paranoid now every time I stop and walk away I case it goes up in flames!

I can easily fabricate a shield but I suppose I'll have to remove the engine, gear box, diff and dashboard to fit it!

I assume that the exhaust note has not changed, if the manifold has cracked, hot exhaust gasses could be increasing the temperature on the mount or possibly worse! Not saying that is the issue but if it is out of the ordinary I would recommend careful investigation.

Hope I'm not the bearer of bad news.

Regards Dan

I'd suggesting fitting a new mount in case there is something that has happened to the rubber on the old one - like impregnated with something flammable.  

You can do it on ramps + a trolley jack on the sump.

Thanks Herc, going to order new Mounts and make up a shield if I can't get one. Also take a close look to see what might of caused it as I'm not convinced it can just be heat from the exhaust!

Brian