free hit
counters
1987 turbo esprit starting problem - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
ryremluf

1987 turbo esprit starting problem

Hi everyone.

Recently I have been trying to teach my son how to drive this car, but if he stalls it the car refuses to start unless we wait about an hour. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? Has this happened to anyone before with their 87?

Thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sounds like fate saying don't do it!!!!

Welcome to tlf - I'm sure someone will give you a real answer so enough

Welcome to TLF Ryan.  I've had a similar issue in traffic in hot weather.  The underlying problem I'm told is vaporisation in the carbs once everything gets properly hot.  With mine I found I could get it going again using full throttle while cranking and then just over rev to avoid stalling until you can get to a place to stop and (as you say) wait a while for everything to cool down.  My car has always been great on all types of road and track, but only good for 10 or 15 mins in traffic.  Avoid slow/traffic crawls and you'll be fine.....

Car is fuel injection....not carb.  Also, if the car is turned off with the key then there are no issues.

If the car stalls from clutch, then it will not start unless it sits for an hour.  So what is the difference between a stall and a key shut off?

hmmm.....with key the ignition is killed.   With a stall....not enough fuel????  May be answering my question.

May need to test the accumulator?  is there a check valve on the pump to hold pressure?  Still trying to figure this out.

When it does this next time ,open bonnet and carefully depress the shrader valve(rag etc avoiding red hot engine) on the fuel rail to see if you have fuel pressure,you should also hear the fuel pump priming each time you switch the ignition on.It does sound like a fuelling issue.

Is it a flooding issue ? On the injected cars apparently you can press the throttle down fully and turn the car to clear

Worth a try

Old K-Jetronic issue, I have the same thing on mine. Don't look for a shreader valve, there is none on the K-jetronic.

The issue is with fuel vaporizing in the injector lines, 20 minutes is the typical time it takes for the problem to arise.

Few things that could help though, none of them quick or easy:

-It could be flooding, leaky injectors don't help

-Check valve at fuel distributor not doing it's job, allowing pressure to drop and easing vaporization

-Accumulator shot (this is very unlikely)

You have a few options when this happens:

You let the car cool down for an hour at least

You cranck it until it starts (yes I know but it works)

You don't stop it for 20 minutes!

I ran VW Sciroccos for years, tried stuff and never came up with a real fix, I've heard the the Porsches 924 had similar issues (same system).

The only official fix came from Bosch or VW in '83-84 with a Hot start pulse relay that added fuel with the fifth injector (cold start injector) when starting hot. That tells you that they knew about it... I wish I were a geek and that I could build a gizmo that would do the job!

Hope this information helps, at least it won't launch you on wild chase.

Luc

K-Jetronic has a warm up regulator, which acts like choke.

It is electrical heated and allow a richer mixture during warm up. If this is faulty, or open wire to it, it might flood, and can start when warm.

Lars