free hit
counters
Improve my S2.2 vs modified SE vs GT3 (what's next?) - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
plumdeplakmuis

Improve my S2.2 vs modified SE vs GT3 (what's next?)

Here it goes, 

As a long time Esprit enthusiast and now owner of a turbocharger engineering and production company, it seems only logical to get a turbocharged Esprit. 

So far got my dream Esprit S2.2 in 2008. and enjoyed it since then. 

As much as I like the looks and spirit of the S2.2, besides it is not turbocharged its getting slow. 

Especially now as I traded my daily driver for a Volvo 850R, it just doesn't seem right to have my old boxy daily being faster than the sportscar. Even when understanding the S2.2 is 16 years older.

So now I have several options, 

- Improve the S2.2, and make it a bit like a restomod, getting a turbocharged engine for it, with additional upgrades for the suspension etc...

Problem is that already the rear tires can't cope with the little power thats there, and the bodywork gets terribly rattly above 160 km/h. Also modifying a perfectly original S2.2 is a bit against my religion. 

- Get a fair priced SE, and make it a bit more hardcore, looking like the Chamberlain Sport 300.

Even make it capable for trackdays, but still capable of the European grand tour. 

This gives the opportunity to go all the way with installing our own designed turbocharger. Even using it as a testbed. (350hp from a 2ltr is very 2015)

Only seems like a big project. Together with running a business i'm not sure its realistic time wise. 

- Get a GT3, only do some easy std upgrades. And our own developed turbocharger,

Gives the opportunity to enjoy the car from day 1. Not so sure as a possible trackday runner. And not feeling comfortable to modify a GT3 to much. 

Any thoughts and considerations welcome. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What about engine swaps? Could there be a market just as Honda K's have become popular for Elise and Elige.

Hi Jaap,

I think you should leave the S2.2 original and enjoy it for what it is - an icon and a stage in the Esprit evolution, last of the purer Guigario designs. Originality will be the key to future enthusiast interest and any increase in value. Also remember that the Turbo cars were on different chassis and completely different suspension arrangements.

As a fellow S2.2 owner, would love to see some pictures of your car.

Best regards and good luck with whatever you decide.

Nick

Same here,

I am also a S2.2 owner and it wouldn't be wise to "upgrade" or "turbocharge" an original S2.2

first of all : far to rare to do that to the car

second : the chassis and rear suspension is not up to it.

If you want to do it with a giugiaro, choose an S3 ( still cheap to find one) or modify a turbo esprit. They have a better chassis for the extra power

Geert

Edited by gvy

Hi Jaap .Got to agree with the above comments .Mike se turbo.

Don't do anything to a good original car........

If you fancy modifying something - buy a cat-c or cat-d car and fettle away.

The values of originality are increasing - anything off standard will whack the value almost as much as a cat-c/d issue

great looking rare rare car.Hope you can also sort out a turbo car.....Mike

Spam away! Great looking Esprit, what colour and finish is the interior?

Regards,

Nick

Lovely looking car Jaap. :thumbsup:

Decision made,
This week we picked up the Esprit GT3.
gallery_329_455_1067517.jpg

Some work to be done, want to modify the quad exhaust to the original single,

gallery_329_455_385410.jpg

Edited by plumdeplakmuis
  • Like 1

:thumbsup:

Good decision, good decision. Great looking car Jaap. Mean.

Great choice, and a rare colour on GT3s. Some grey side graphics would set it off a treat!

• Like 1

NIceee    looks well looked after, what year is it?

NIceee    looks well looked after, what year is it?

Nice car..........., one of the very few examples that were/are available on the Continent .............it is from 1998; had 2 previous owners; it made approx. 50-60.000 km; clutch was replaced; crunching when shifting in reverse; nett GBP 19.950.- plus a couple of thousands expected to settle different items........

Edited by Ruud