free hit
counters
Glass Roof? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Breeze

Glass Roof?

Having seen the video of the McLaren P1, can't help but think the glass panels in the roof would work well on the Evora. Just an idea... Lotus?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

From what I know, theres nothing substancial 'in the roof'. Infact according to some, if you shine a torch under the roof at night, you can see the glow the other side of the roof. (not tested).

I cant see it behind a problem, but it would most certainly throw off the centre of gravity and handling of the car.

Definitely nothing substantial in the roof panel.  I remember watching them bond one in during a factory tour and the loose panel was floppy and not at all rigid.  Amazing how that bonding 'glue' makes it what it is so rapidly.  There is obviously a roll hoop roughly in line with the B pillar though which is metal.  The roof is thin enough that the interior light can be seen through it if away from street lights and it melts any snow or ice in the centre of the roof unless you fit LED's like some of us.

Glass will be much heavier though.

Polycarbonate then :)

The electric evora had one for a while but didn't have the depression along the roof and I'm sure it didn't have the roll bar across either. It disappeared and returned with a standard roof after a while.

Gav

Wonder how hard it would be to make a lower roof line , as existing roof seems raised a fair bit. I've never found the headroom lacking in the car

• Like 1

Didn't some of the now infamous new range cars have glass roofs? Remember seeing them at Hethel and being impressed by the sense of light and space it created inside.

My old Alfa Brera had a glass roof and it did create a real sense of space and light. Not what you would call a light car though.

Wonder how hard it would be to make a lower roof line , as existing roof seems raised a fair bit. I've never found the headroom lacking in the car

I thought the same until I tracked the car and found that the extra headroom was there for the helmet :) Most comfortable car I've ever been in with a helmet, I remember one car I couldn't tilt or barely turn towards the driver's window!

• Like 1

This is the picture I was looking for, definatly no roll bar, but it does look really light inside. Even if it was done such that only the front half was clear and the rest painted to hide the roll bar, I think it would look great!

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201003/2010-lotus-evora-414e-hyb-4_600x0w.jpg2010-lotus-evora-414e-hyb-4_600x0w.jpg

Gav

From what I know, theres nothing substancial 'in the roof'. Infact according to some, if you shine a torch under the roof at night, you can see the glow the other side of the roof. (not tested).

I cant see it behind a problem, but it would most certainly throw off the centre of gravity and handling of the car.

When my dome light is on at night, I can see it shine through roof from above.

Lightweight roof panel :D

I can never make my mind up about a glass roof. Don't know if its really cool looking, or annoying as hell, when during summer the sun bakes my bald head.