free hit
counters
Interior Business (questions and advice) - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
OpenTops

Interior Business (questions and advice)

Long story short : Have been looking for an Esprit for a while. Found one, nice guy, good looking car. Went to check it out. Mechanicals and exterior are great. Fully rebuilt, looks, sounds, feels good. Interior is a complete mess (of course)! Does anyone have any experience with reupholstering / rebuilding the interior on these cars (price and headaches)? I'm including a few pictures for reference. From my research online I'm seeing the seats are around $1000 to reupholster, carpet is $500, headliner is another few hundred. The dash looks salvageable but I'm not sure how crazy expensive it would be to go down that rabbit hole. Can anyone give me any advice? It's a 1985. A project that someone else is through with. (I have no idea why it flipped these pictures. I'm sorry about that) post-18384-0-13458800-1428275223.jpgpost-18384-0-84279800-1428275251.jpgpost-18384-0-55063900-1428275272.jpgpost-18384-0-54282300-1428275288.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by OpenTops

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi,

Reckon your prices look fair except the headliner, and unless I'm missing something, you should be able too get away with seats, carpet & headliner. Headliner material shouldn't be more than $100 I'd have thought, and it's relatively easy to fit.

Just make sure your trimmer keeps the leather from the seats for repairs in other areas if necessary.

Alternatively, you may find another pair of seats cheaper and use Gliptone products to recolour them. Just a thought?

Thinking of doing any of it yourself? Either way, good luck

Dave

Buy it - the most costly things sound like they have been sorted.......

Trim and carpet can be done as expensively or as cost efficient as you choose - and doesn't stop you driving it like a shagged engine or box would.....

Your dollar figures are spot on for the U.S. market. But you should be getting good quality (something worthy of the Esprit) for that price, not a bunch of shortcuts.

Thinking of doing any of it yourself? Either way, good luck

I don't have too much experience with interiors. The window switches and whatnot shouldn't be any issue but I don't really feel comfortable reupholstering seats. 

Does anyone have any experience "refreshing" the dash on these cars? It looks to me like maybe a past owner smoked or something? Or just the leather has discolored from age and needs a very thorough cleaning. The owner claims it only had 15k miles on it before the rebuilding began. Seems like the interior would suggest otherwise. 

Another thing i found odd. The shift lever appeared to have surface rust on it. Has anyone seen that before? Could be just from sitting in a humid area? Who knows.

The leather recolouring or refinishing is really easy.

Fine sand paper and good prep a then spray or sponge on - up to you...... Really depends how fussy you are.

A weekend and it really could look like new..... All for about £100......

Leatherforever.net supply the stuff in uk - bound to be more choice in the us