free hit
counters
radio/satnav/bluetooth option on my V8? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Grahaml

radio/satnav/bluetooth option on my V8?

On my last car I had fitted a double DIN radio/mp3/satnav/handsfree phone unit. 

It was a pretty handy unit and I even managed to fit a small reversing camera (because I could).

I'm wondering if it's possible to do something similar on the Esprit?  I am much more conscious of spoiling the car by doing something that spoils the original look or isn't reversible?  I think a double DIN unit is probably out of the question as it looks like I wold need to make some drastic mods to fit it. 

I was wondering if a single din unit with a motorised slide-out screen would be an option? 

something along the lines of this (not necessarily that brand or model)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pumpkin-Single-Touchscreen-Bluetooth-Navigation/dp/B00VHW29OA/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1428323286&sr=1-6&keywords=radio+sat+nav+bluetooth+single+din

Looking at the dash (later model) there is an overhang above the radio that might prevent the motorised screen from lifting?  I have also recently seen a unit that lets the motorised screen fold down the way rather than up - it might be a better option

see this (again as an example)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/P9742B-Single-DIN-Motorized-Slide-Down-Touchscreen/dp/B00MU2RYKU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1428317047&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=satnav+bluetooth+slide

I haven't seen any examples on the forums  (except one where the owner fitted a double din unit).  Anybody have any experience of this ?

Thanks

Graham

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Don't get the screen to pop out if you're in 1st, 3rd, or 5th! :)

Hi Graham.  I have a single DIN fold up style head unit (Alpine IVA-D310) in my 2000 V8.  As long as you have the later rounded binnacle these units will work.  The older square binnacle will prevent the fold up screen from rising into position.  I think my Alpine is NLA now. Note it does include several peripheral boxes that have to be mounted under the passenger seat, so check what comes with the unit and what is required.

The flip up type clears the shifter fine.

I tried to post a link to a fold down style unit like you were asking about, but for some reason I can't paste the link.  The guy that installed it in his 2000 Esprit gives it a thumbs up.  I was tempted to replace mine with one of these, but it does not have provision for Sirius Satellite radio.  The GPS would be nice however.

The post is on Lotustalk.com in the Esprit section.  The thread is called "DIY Stereo/GPS upgrade for 2000+ Esprits".  I will post the link if I can get it to work.

The same guy (Night life) also did a nice thread on adding a subwoofer.  I installed the Kenwood one behind my passenger seat and it works great.

HTH

Stu

Try to post the link....

www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/diy-stereo-gps-upgrade-2000-esprits-217241/

The fold down units are sold under several brand names, but I believe they are all manufactured and sold by Ouku.  I looked for other fold down ones; could not find any.  Ouku also make an equivalent fold up type.  The only other fold up units presently sold new on Crutchfield,com are Boss, Clarion, and Jensen.

Stu

Thanks Stu - I will look into these links.  I'm not really that fussed about an "ideal" stereo - I don't find the cabin to be the quietest of places and that's OK.  I did like the extra functions like satnav, handsfree phone and having all my music on a memory card though.

Do you have any pictures of your system with the flip up screen?

Graham

Car is presently in storage.  Hoping to get down for a 'visit' this week though.  Will take some pics.  Stu

Here are a few pics of my head unit.

Stu

post-4924-0-50596900-1429832487.jpeg

post-4924-0-87996400-1429832503.jpeg

post-4924-0-27274100-1429832519.jpeg

post-4924-0-36042500-1429832529.jpeg

I have seen a Kenwood with a double DIN flipout screen and it looks like it would clear the binnacle. It really has taken a backseat due to my stroke though.

Not even sure if you can still get it as I can't find it. I'll try the shop I went (if I can remember) for the model.

Update: Can't find it. The screen sat proud of the unit once open and would clear the binnacle. I remember getting them to measure the offset.

thanks fro the update.  I'm in no rush - enjoying the V8 as it is at the moment and busy with other stuff  but it will be something I will sort on the car as I found it helpull in my last one.  I can recall seeing single DIN units with a small screen (no flip out but I ghavent's seen one of them with sat-nav.  It might be too small but I wonder?

Cheers.

Graham