free hit
counters
Tiff Needell - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Everyone bangs on about Clarkson or Harris (me included!) but for me one of motorings true legends and unsung heroes is Tiff. Not only an outstanding commentator/journalist but quality racing driver.

The clip attached is one of my favourites (goes on a bit at first about other things but about half way through to 5m 30s when Tiff is on track with the Cosworth), listen to commentary whilst wrestling with the Sierra Cosworth... the lines and oversteer corrections! We're not worthy!!

Top man!

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone bangs on about Clarkson or Harris (me included!) but for me one of motorings true legends and unsung heroes is Tiff. Not only an outstanding commentator/journalist but quality racing driver.

I've always watched Tiff's career with interest, since he got his start from winning the Lotus Formula Ford in a competition in "Autosport" that I entered as well. I am very pleased that he has got it

Ever since the Evora review on 5th Gear when he came across as a pervy or dirty old man with 2 teenage gymnasts I've gone off him, despite him oversteering it for England.  I agree awesome car control but I can't stand the enforced childish banter with Plato trying to emulate Clarkson, or if that is the real Tiff then uuuurg.  I've seen him race and been around the pits or pitlane as marshal when he's raced and he's up himself a bit.  My wife can't stand TG as it is knobs effing about, but likes 5th Gear as it is a motoring programme with some opinions and affordable cars but thinks he is a bit weird.

I will now stand in the corner and bat away the flack........ :robo::sofa:

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Second that. Good mate of mine has an AM DB4GT Lightweight and had Tiff as his co-driver in the AMOC Championships a few years back. Spent some time with them at Croft one year and found him a perfectly reasonable bloke, a committed petrol head. Rowan Atkinson was at the same meet racing his McLaren F1 - again, talking cars, a top bloke. My daughters were a bit wide eyed though, meeting Mr Bean..... ;)

Having met a few TV 'personalities' over the years they are definitely more interesting with telly mode switched off. Almost normal.

I have met Tiff and liked him. Plus, he is a Lotus owner don't forget - he has his 1971 Formula Ford that he bought back, restored and won in at Thruxton last year.

Ever since the Evora review on 5th Gear when he came across as a pervy or dirty old man with 2 teenage gymnasts I've gone off him, despite him oversteering it for England. I agree awesome car control but I can't stand the enforced childish banter with Plato trying to emulate Clarkson, or if that is the real Tiff then uuuurg. I've seen him race and been around the pits or pitlane as marshal when he's raced and he's up himself a bit. My wife can't stand TG as it is knobs effing about, but likes 5th Gear as it is a motoring programme with some opinions and affordable cars but thinks he is a bit weird.

I will now stand in the corner and bat away the flack........ :robo::sofa:

"as a pervy or dirty old man"? really??

I see a charasmatic fellow petrolhead that could drive the socks off Clarkson, Hammond, May and Harris with his eyes shut!

He also tends not to be too bias (Apart from Aston, but who isn't and you could hardly blame him). I for one rate him as a consistently brilliant motoring journalist.

He was a Stig as well wasn't he?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I've always watched Tiff's career with interest, since he got his start from winning the Lotus Formula Ford in a competition in "Autosport" that I entered as well. I am very pleased that he has got it back again and rebuilt it...just the sort of thing many of us would do. He has exploited his luck ( the bastard, should have been ME!) and achieved a very creditable racing career and moved into TV presenting and made a go of that too. I always enjoy his stuff, he's fast and entertaining too.... 

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

always struck me as a "nearly man" with his motorsport career, a bit like david coultard or jimmy white (snooker player)

I seem to remember he started his career racing powerboats ??

I noticed in Autosport tonight he raced his FF at Thruxton at the weekend and came third - a decent result in HFF.

A proper Lotus man methinks?