free hit
counters
Spark Plugs - n/a Evora - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
blueg33

Spark Plugs - n/a Evora

My car will need new plugs at its next service.  Lotus was a rather scary £30+ each.

I am pretty sure they are Denso plugs that I can get elsewhere for a much better price. 

Does anyone know the Denso model number/reference.  My online search is throwing up contradictory results.

Any saving I can make will be good as it equals more petrol and more Evora driving :)

I am looking at Sparplugs.co.uk and they suggest:  Denso VKH22, but I am pretty sure this is wrong.  Plus they are on back order so can only supply two at the moment.

Help appreciated

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The service manual I have says:

Evora & Evora IPS  

Spark Plugs:         Denso FK20HR11 (Iridium)

Spark plug gap:    1.0 -1.1mm (0.040-0.045 in)

Evora S & Evora S- IPS

Spark plugs:          NGK ILFR7B8

Spark plug gap:     0.8mm (0.031 in)

Thanks. Ordered from Elise Spares saving nearly £80 over the dealer.

• Like 1

Nick, did you change the spark plugs yourself? Mine are due to be changed next year and I think I'll do them myself, so would be interested to know how you got on?

As quite a few Evora's are coming up to 6 years old and/or have high miles I'd be interested to know if others have changed theirs and whether they've seen any improvements or upgraded them etc.

Mine's coming up to 6 years old and hadn't considered about changing my plugs until I've just read this thread. Interesting read.

It's can't be that hard to change the plugs can it?

I see you can get a set of 6 Denso OEM plugs for around £45 in the States. Great for your guys. With £10-20 post it's worth buying over here.

I have just contacted my Toyota main dealer and they want £94.61 Inc VAT. part number is 90919-01247 if that helps?

• Like 1

They're £33 + VAT each from Lotus :cry:

Nick, did you change the spark plugs yourself? Mine are due to be changed next year and I think I'll do them myself, so would be interested to know how you got on?

As quite a few Evora's are coming up to 6 years old and/or have high miles I'd be interested to know if others have changed theirs and whether they've seen any improvements or upgraded them etc.

I bought the plugs and my dealer fitted them FOC whilst he was doing the service

• Like 1

I changed mine last month myself. Bought them from Toyota.

A long extension ratchet with a wobbly angle bit is all you need with a spark plug socket head - this is needed as it 'sticks/sucks' to the plug so it can be pulled up the hole rather than just sitting down in there spinning. As per all the others who have changed plugs all quite uniform with the rear drivers side pug being more oily on the threads. I feel absolutely no difference since changing the plugs but I have changed them early and there was no noticeable wear on any of them. But yes, the six are not as cheap as I expected but it's 6 not 4 so it adds up.

plugchangeEvora.thumb.jpeg.f8083e6f6403f

• Like 1

I see you can get a set of 6 Denso OEM plugs for around £45 in the States. Great for your guys. With £10-20 post it's worth buying over here.

I have just contacted my Toyota main dealer and they want £94.61 Inc VAT. part number is 90919-01247 if that helps?

You can also get them through Amazon.co.uk for ~£12 each. Ironically, Lotus would have to throw away all the Denso ones that the 2GR comes in to replace them with the NGKs when Supercharging it. Although they'd be unused they're essentially second hand so couldn't sell them on.

Pierre, how did you get on with reaching the rear bank of spark plugs? I was having horrible thoughts of having to go through the access panel behind the rear seats. Also, how long did it take you?

As long as you have a wobly knuckle extension it's easy and just requires leaning over the engine bay. I did it on a fourpost lift (was doing other things) and stood on a block of wood also so I could lean over further. Access panel is only required for changing the exhaust or if the ac pipes or alternator have a problem. Taking off the coils with their little bolts is the only time consuming thing as I am overly cautious and label everything and wanted to make sure I did not loose anything.

If you do only this job it should not take you more than half an hour if you are very slow and careful. At a push it could be done in half the time. 

Hi Pierre,

Thanks reassuring news that it can be done DIY with normal tools. I might have a go at the weekend.

I will order from Toyota main dealer as they are only 1/2 mile away from me and can get them in stock sae day.

Regards,

David

Hi,

Just bought a set on ebay from the USA

it was 60,99 $ with free shipping, and delivery was very fast (less than one week)

Just getting 6 yr service done and I asked about plugs - was told that they are due at 54k so no need yet....as I am at less than 30k.