free hit
counters
Tell my why I should not upgrade 93 SE alternator to 220 Amps - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
MikieP

Tell my why I should not upgrade 93 SE alternator to 220 Amps

Seems as though I can purchase a 220 Amp Alternator to fit my SE. What would you do?

MikieP

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

does it actually physically fit, and can you swap the old pulley to the new alternator?

Is is heavier? Are the rotating parts heavier?

Is there any advantage to carrying around a small power station?    Presumably its heavier and will also sap a couple of extra HP 

Seller say it fits requiring a flat washer or two perhaps... Do not know any more than that. Seems like I am always in lots of stop and go traffic and thinking if and when I can get the radiator fans to come on when needed, yet another TMS shop screw up, they would be over drawing the oem alternator. Do not know more than tha

331524920543_1.jpg

t. pic is attached...

I would think it is def heavier rotationally and dead weight as well.

Single groove custom pulley  (suggested V-belt: Gates # 6263 or equivalent-same size as your old one).  Belt not included.

This modern day alternator delivers 80+A at idle @ 12V under full load - verified/bench tested.  220 Amps  MAX current

If the newer alternator has a higher constant current rating, wouldn't you have to alter the wiring as well?

Ask if they have a data sheet for it or some test results.... 80a doesn't sound massive - what's the stock one

If the newer alternator has a higher constant current rating, wouldn't you have to alter the wiring as well?

No the electronics will still draw what they draw.  But it would be a good idea to make sure all the grounds are good, and the leads to the new alternator.

Hi all,

OEM is 90 Amps max output per the Service Manual. Seller says the one he is selling is rated at 220 Amps max output. 80 Amps at idle... Seller also says to take wire from alternator to starter and upgrade to #4 as it is too weak... The original has not let me down but it is old and as you know, gets quite hot due to its location so I would think it has done a good amount of suffering. It has to come out to get the A/C compressor out to repair a freon leak at the shaft I am told so would be a great time to perhaps put this one in, no? Nothing like having something more than you should ever need. Certainly run a bit cooler internally when bigger draws are called for by the car. Alternators wear out brushes when they run close to their max due to heavy loading. I do expect to go round the coach and verify grounds as well. Any other thoughts?

Hi All,

Think I have figured out which way to go...

1) Sent a message to the Seller: Does a data sheet and or Bench test results come with it?

2) Reply from the Seller having a NO RETURNS policy for what I consider a basically one-off yet critical part : Do you get a data sheet and or bench test results when you buy it from the auto parts store?

3) My Reply: Thank you for your reply.

Not exactly confidence building I would say. So have saved $275 and will go on with current one. Thahk you all for your input!

MikieP

are you still going to replace the existing since it will be out of car?  the Bosch AL49X is $130 remanufactured (although I bought mine new for same price from Rakuten.com)

Hi Chris,

Yeah, still thinking on it. Seems a bit high. Notice you have Wilwood brakes. I do as well and would to like converse with you about what you have versus what I have so I can learn a bit more about what I have... 

MikieP

Interestingly, the eBay add for the 220 Amp alternator has been taken down by the Seller - lost or broken - perhaps sold off eBay - dunno, but that simplifies my decision now. If someone here bought it let me know how it works out. Still might give it a go if it turns out it is worth the $275 and turns up again. Thanks to all!

MikieP

The OEM brown (how symbolic!) wire is underrated and unsafe at any speed, POS.

It is a fire starter.

Whatever alternator you install - REPLACE THIS WIRE!