free hit
counters
Rear light rings.. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My chrome rear light rings are turning a weird white, is there anyway to either take these off and paint black? or buy replacement black rings on the cheap outside of lotus?

Cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Take them off and paint them black it's the best way!

Yes. 2 bolts inside the boot on each, pull out light, disconnect electrical plug and the ring is merely stuck to the back of the light by double sided adhesive pad, just pull them apart.5 minute job to remove.

Bit of wet and dry and a spray can is all you need.

• Like 1

Hi Lee,

I've heard of this a lot more than once now. On the type of car this is only little, but it just shouldn't happen.

The last I heard Lotus had stopped selling the chrome ones and now only sell the black. So painting them makes sense.

cheers guys, job for a summer weekend me thinks...to glue them back on....adhesive pads again?

Hi Lee,

I've heard of this a lot more than once now. On the type of car this is only little, but it just shouldn't happen.

Exactly, this sort of thing should be a recall..

Bit Mickey Mouse tbh. I had mine replaced under warranty but warranty or not Lotus needs to prioritise this sort of thing...

To expect a customer to dismantle their car, sandpaper it and spray it FFS!

Does Lotus not hold its suppliers accountable for quality assurance? Probably a DB era contractural cock up!

To expect a customer to dismantle their car, sandpaper it and spray it FFS!

The don't, they replace them under warranty as happened with your car! 

As far as I know, recalls occur for safety oriented issues primarily. Something like this would be a warranty job as Bibs has said. I was thinking along the lines of supplier QA though.

Does it matter on the age of the car? :) I think I have one or two small patches on my 2010.

Mine were replaced straight away under warranty just before the car was 3 years old. Replaced with black rings, as the chrome ones were out of stock. 

Recalls don't necessarily mean an urgent trip to the dealer. I remember that S1 Exiges were on 'recall' for floor corrosion. It wasn't serious but was cosmetically horrible and all cars were treated as and when they ended up in dealr hands. If a car didn't go to the dealer normally it could be taken in for the recall to be actioned. You can search for all recalls here.... http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

As for the rear light bezels, I decided to stay original as, when I took them out I discoverd that 'Astonish' cleaned them up and made them all sparkly again. I then gave them generous car polish protection before putting them back in. Good as new.

BTW, don't use metal polish on chromed items. Clean them with solvents and then protect with polish. Using things like Solovol Autosol on chrome ruins the chrome (although it's great as a metal polish!)

Edited by the83man

I dont think we have the same issue, my chrome bits have sort of just tarnished and turned white....like the chrome paint has flaked off or dissolved. No amount of polishing/restoring will bring that chrome back as its gone back to plastic....from what I can see!

Ok, that does sound final. Obviously I was lucky....

On my 2010 car that lives outside the chrome rings are fine.

I've got a new set of chrome ones, if any one wants them? Can't guarantee the same won't happen with these though

Mine have started to go so just deciding which way to go! Mine is a MY11 and garaged! 

post-1877-0-48227000-1428679750.jpg

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/63129-wanted-white-or-chrome-orange-na-evora/page-4

Take a look at page 3 and 4 of my topic I created upon buying my Evora.

Mine had the same as does everyone else!

There are links to the plastic primer I used and the black paint and a few pictures.

Cheers

Paul

I wonder what they would come up like with that aluminium spraying method that showed up on YT? Have a feeling that it only worked on metal though? Can't remember.

The don't, they replace them under warranty as happened with your car!

Fair enough Bibs but what if the car is over 3 years old? (Is Blundy's car over 3 years?)

Mine have already been replaced under warranty but went again when I bought it from dealer out of warranty. So they kindly repainted them black for me. The new ones should have lasted as this problem should have been addressed if the original batch was known as faulty. It looks as though my car was simply fitted with another set of sub standard light rings.

I am not bothered personally as I bought my car out of warranty and I wanted them black anyway to contrast against my white paintwork but other owners must be a bit annoyed about this.

Regards,

David Walters

I bought a replacement set (out of warranty) I liberally coated them with wax and fitted them last summer. They're starting to go again already :(

I think painting them black will look a bit shit unless I also do the reversing/fog lamps, and the badge.

Surely somebody could re-chrome them? It might cost a bit more, but if they could be done well enough to last, I'd be happy to pay a reasonable amount. Up to the cost of another replacement set.

Looked at that Vosa listing from THE83MAN and thought would do a quick comparison with Porsche

So Evora has had three recalls in 5 years, same as Boxster. 911 on the other hand has had 8.

So thought would look a bit further:

Audi R8 has had 1

Audi 5 had 2

BMW M3 had 2

AM V8V has had 9

Ferrari 458 had 2

Jaguar XK had 8

Point is, for a low volume manufacturer I don;t think Lotus is doing too bad at all and I'm glad I bought an Evora, albeit used.

• Like 2

That's a really good post. :thumbsup: