free hit
counters
Never has a man curbed his alloys so many times on one car.... - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
LazyDonkey

Never has a man curbed his alloys so many times on one car....

Please tell me it's not just me!

I've been driving for 23 years and i can safely say i've never ever curbed alloys as many times as i've done in this car. 

It's mainly just been the drivers rear but this morning i somehow managed to do the passenger rear too.

FFS. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not just you Martin.

It's the 'fat woman backend' on the car. I even did it once just by 'rolling back' slightly in a carpark. Scratched it on a curb and didnt even realise!

The tyres offer no rim protection either. The 400 has addressed this with fatter tyres.

Ditto.  I've been driving for 40 and I doubt if you added up every kerbing you would hit the total on Evoras.  Not helped with Dunblane high street being very narrow, with kinks, with parking on one side only and having to squeeze past badly parked cars and all the kebs being those right angled granite types. The first cars with black rims though which make it look worse of course.

You are in good company according to Craig as well.  I am looking at those Gator strips seriously although Craig is a bit anti saying boy racer.  I'm not so sure and they don't have to be bright different colours.

I find my Esprit its very easy to do too. Just pulling up to a kerb. Not sure if its as my BBS are very soft or just one of those things!

Buddsy

Have to agree. As Bibs said, the lack of tire overhang makes it even more easy to curbb the rears. 

Phew - makes me glad I decided not to get the kerbing fixed before I pick my new car up! I was worried I'd kerb it straight away, so decided to give it a few months, sounds like that was proably the right decision!

Always been paranoid of kerbing nice alloys, so try to only park in open car parks, or if I have park next to a kerb I always position the side mirror down towards the ground so I can watch wheels vs kerbs.

On that subject I once had a 2000 BMW 3 series that automatically dipped the passenger side mirror when you selected reverse.

Nice little feature.

Tungsten Carbide is a nice silvey grey colour and Titanium nitride is golden - perhaps we should just refurb our wheels with coatings that will eat the kerbstones :)

I like the idea! And as said above these cars are notorious for curbing. I've got the Design wheels (19"/20") on mine and so far I've spent more money on refurbishing wheels on this car than any other previous ones.

I kerbed my passenger side rear wheel just before I took the winter rims off a couple of weeks ago, totally paranoid now as I honestly can't remember the last time I damaged a wheel before that. I do get a crumb of comfort from knowing it's not just me though.

I honestly thought I had been super careful, but there seems to be some light scrubbing already.  Are these wheels known to be especially soft?

I will be investing in a set of Gators soonest.

Edited by DaveC72

Just did my rear wheel today! first car ive ever curbed! Gutting

I see you, and I raise you a front nearside wheel :(

Went out for an early morning run today, and grazed a curb at about 30 mph, taking a big chunk out of both nearside wheels - it's going to need a welder to refurb them!

Although it's no conciliation to you guys your tales of woe have made me feel better  :D 

Curbed both rears in one go in blimming Eurotunnel :(

It all went well until I reached the end of the train where they 'upgraded' the sides of the curbs with teardrop plates.

Thet normally put me in the high vehicles part of the train (in between the vans and couches) but when they stick you in the normal cars part you might end up,curbing both sides when you exit the train.

Slightly upseting to say the least.

I've never has so much trouble with previous cars, including numerous Esprits. I've kerbed two wheels, and then stupidly dropped one face down when cleaning it!

I'm having then refurbed right now. I'm going to be really paranoid driving it in future!

For me, the worst problem is multi-storey car parks. They always seem to have stupidly high, perfectly vertical kerbs. Normal kerbstones are at least sloped a little. The ones at High Cross in Leicester caught me out at the ticket machines at the entrance; the kerbs run too far after the machine, where you'd expect to be able to turn to merge with the next lane.

:hrhr:

But in a nice way.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that the multi-storey car park in Cambridge actually narrowed when I was about to leave. Like something out of Harry Potter or Lord of the Ring...

The one by the cinema and bowling in Cambridge is a disaster! The ramps are too tight and narrow for anything with 4 wheels - the missing paint on the walls attests to that! I would definitely have to back and fill onto each ramp in the Evora!

We just need to get Momo to sell kerbed-look alloys to get them into fashion and then all the unkerbed guys will feel silly ;)

Curbed both rears in one go in blimming Eurotunnel :(

It all went well until I reached the end of the train where they 'upgraded' the sides of the curbs with teardrop plates.

Thet normally put me in the high vehicles part of the train (in between the vans and couches) but when they stick you in the normal cars part you might end up,curbing both sides when you exit the train.

Slightly upseting to say the least.

Yup I. Did that in the Eurotunnel on my first trip into Europe.. I'd never scuffed an alloy before either.. Design and age thing I reckon! When I was 17 I'd have shot through the tunnel and not touched either side.. Now I'm too careful!

SmartFix cost £30...

post-15194-0-44362500-1435042672.jpg

Is there any way to protect the wheels a little without sacrificing looks?  Previous owner had nicked 3 of the 4 wheels.  I just hit the rear pulling out of a drive through ATM and had to have it fixed. Super easy to do - never had an issue with any other car either.

Cambridge car parks – pretty bad, but I have survived them. On the other hand, I had to visit a Liverpool hospital to see my Dad who was ill, and their multi-story was nigh on impossible. Either you cut the corner enough to avoid breaking the Esprit splitter off and risk curbing the rims on the ridiculously high curbs on the inside, or you take it more straight on, and leave a scrape of black plastic on the floor, if you are lucky. Boy, I hated that car park. I had to go down the ramps at inches per hour, not miles. All the people in the car park saw this amazing supercar thing creeping along, the followers getting increasingly annoyed, and then they heard the graunching sound of splitter destruction. Not the rims, though  :)

Didnt think there was a curb turns out there was a little one which i hit.

post-19124-0-70350600-1435070711.jpg

As you can see its not bad and a bit of wheel buff and black covered it up however it didnt stop the feeling you get when you hear the scraping of the alloy.

Edited by DeltaLotus