free hit
counters
The Classic Car Show - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Paul Coleman

The Classic Car Show

Was that Ken Baird's S1 on the Classic Car Show last night on Channel 5?

Paul.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have been watching the show since it started and I'm glad it exists. It's a little wobbly in places but it's getting better every show.

As a matter of interest I'd love to know what anyone thinks of their take on the Esprit?

Have been watching the show since it started and I'm glad it exists. It's a little wobbly in places but it's getting better every show.

As a matter of interest I'd love to know what anyone thinks of their take on the Esprit?

First time i have seen it can't stand that willson fella the ESPRIT was shown in a good light i thought.It was a spirited drive. the car looked fab. andy b

Did make me giggle when she started harping on about the back end sliding out....... <cut to someone else driving and doing a teeny slide>....... <cut back to her>....... "like that"

Yes, there was a particular shot where someone seemed to be sawing the wheel as you might to check for an imagined fault. As an editor I wouldn't have dreamt of including that as some would-be tail happiness. 

I found myself getting a little offended on the car's behalf. It's not great journalism to talk about wanting more power in a Lotus without quantifying the marque's design ethos. 

I suspect she was driving. As I recall she was top of the Top Gear star in a reasonably priced car at one point. A real petrolhead.

I suspect she was driving. As I recall she was top of the Top Gear star in a reasonably priced car at one point. A real petrolhead.

So was John Bishop..... it means nothing.

Looked fairly clear to me that someone who didn't resemble Dr Martin was driving at the time.

Has anyone seen the footage of the Esprit in the sound stage before, any idea where they got it from?

You mean the yellow one on the turntable? Must be from one of the motor shows no?

So I just rewatched the clip and I must have been grumpy the first time because it's not a bad piece  :whistle:

How can I put this diplomatically? The Classic Car Show would be only a bit rubbish if it wasn't for the presenters. It's like watching daytime TV and being patronised by two B-rate idiots.

• Like 2

Has anyone seen the footage of the Esprit in the sound stage before, any idea where they got it from?

Pathe/Movietone newsreel footage from the 76 Motorshow?

The 75 show is on here but the car is silver;

http://www.movietone.com/N_search.cfm?ActionFlag=back2ResultsView&start=1&pageStart=1&totalRecords=2&V_DateType=1&V_DECADE=1929&V_FromYear=1928&V_QualifySubject=&V_storyNumber=&V_TermsToOmit=&V_ToYear=1980&V_searchType=1&V_MainSubject=lotus%20esprit&V_Year=1928&V_resultsPerPage=10

I have to say it is a real shame the classic car show is rubish. There is little detail and is is extremly wooden in its presentation. Nice concept but badly delivered. 

I did agree with the comments on the DB5 great looking but rubbish handeling and drive. 

As others have commented Lotus design ethos is not about "grunt" it looked great but whilst they mentioned other astons they didn't mention the other 2 turbo's he drove.

Myself a a few other Esprit owners went to the NEC Classic Car Show a few years back and a couple of us got talking to Quentin Willson about his e-type (which was on display there) and when we told him we were Esprit owners he accused us of having no taste... as he stood there wearing corduroy orange trousers!!

However, I also own an e-type so he let us out alive ;)

Paul.

On 17/04/2015 at 19:32, Paul Coleman said:

Myself a a few other Esprit owners went to the NEC Classic Car Show a few years back and a couple of us got talking to Quentin Willson about his e-type (which was on display there) and when we told him we were Esprit owners he accused us of having no taste... as he stood there wearing corduroy orange trousers!!

However, I also own an e-type so he let us out alive ;)

Paul.

:lol:

I'm a year behind,just watched it. As for the presenters,Jodie gets my vote....QW comes across as a snob

Just in case anybody missed ITV4 last Thursday's Classic Car Show - great Bond edition with Jody Kidd driving a white S1. Not sure if it was a repeat (must be) but I've not seen it before. Still on Catch Up.

That's Ken Baird's car that I helped arrange for the show :D

great cars......shame about Quentin.....

don't think its coming back.......