free hit
counters
door hanging - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Does anyone have advice on door refitting? It was over 2 years since I removed and dissasembled them. I'm wondering what the best refitting method is. Assemble off the car and hang them? Or attach the aluminium beam and slide the door onto the car (if this is possible). Obviously when I removed them scratching wasn't an issue but now they have been repainted I want to avoid another trip to the paint shop.

Any advice would be gratefully received as always.

Cheers

Nic,

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have never taken the doors apart to that level! I stripped all the window mechanism and electrics out, and the seals at the top of the door where the glass comes out...then sprayed the door shell...but never took it off the beam. Afterwards I put it all back again and fitted the door to the car. I would suggest you do the same; get the door assembled completely off the car...minus the interior trim, for access...then fit to the car and align the door, tighten the hinges. Feeding the electrics through was a bit fiddly, iirc....use some emery cloth or similar to provide friction between the hinges and the car where they bolt on. Don't forget to sort the radio aerial whilst you have the driver's door off!!! An approximate alignment can be achieved by lightly tightening the higes and shutting the door....the door catch should set the door to it's original position, then you can check the panel gaps and finally tighten the hinges. You may well have "witness marks" from where the hinges and fasteners were before...they can be useful, too. Fitting the window tracks and motor can be fun...washers are used to adjust the angle of the tracks and thus the position of the windows at the top. It's yet another Lotus iterative process...takes a few goes to be happy withe the result.

I now your problem. I had my car repainted. i fitted the doors less window frames and glass but complete otherwise. you will need two of you one to feed the wires through the door shell. we put cloth on the cill and some folded card board to get the gaps well close you can nip the bolts with the door shut,leaning into the car. yes use emery cloth but use two pieces both with the rough side's facing out one to main shell the other to door shell. bit fiddly fitting glass but doable and fitting window frames keep the battery on charge you will send the windows up and down a few times to get the glass  to work without stalling. and to fit the body seal,

Have fun.

andy b

Havent (yet) done it myself, but one of the usual suspects ( Phil @ SWLC I think ) recommended taking the shell off the beam if refitting on your own. Not sure what's involed with that, but two people to remove the door as a complete unit was easily do- able

Nic,

I totally stripped my S1 doors for repainting and have just finished putting them back on. I fitted the beam and hinges first then :

Carefully slide the shell on routing the door wiring into place - check no fouling on the bodywork

Adjust hinges for correct panel gaps and door position on the striker plate

Slide two retainers for the front of the shell bolts (can't fit the top one after the check strap)

Fitted the check strap assembly

Spacing washers and retaining bolts for the frame in approximately the correct positions (you did note how many spacers and where when disassembling didn't you?)

Fit window frame

Install glass and check it slides smoothly in the guide channels - if not adjust shim washer quantities on frame

Install glass guide channel (make sure the little plastic wheels rotate nicely) - grease up.

Install motor assembly

Final adjustments to door hinges may be required. Its also possible to adjust the position of the shell a little by loosening the 2x rear bolts on the shell and 'twisting' a bit. There's a couple of mm of movement in the shell bolts.

Good luck though and allow a full day to do both doors - longer if you need to make adjustments.

Wonderful stuff. Thanks for the info guys. Numerous photos were taken for the tear down and I took pics of the shims. It sounds like hanging the beam might be the way forward so that is what I will do.
Thanks again for all the replies.

Nic