free hit
counters
ugggh water leak - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
910Esprit

ugggh water leak

Apart from the cylinder head and water pump where would you least like a leak?   Maybe the heater tubes running through the chassis?   Seems like debris has built up at the rear of the chassis and rotted the ally pipe.  

Plan is to remove the petrol tank balance pipes and shunt the pipes backwards so I can dress the pipes in situ.  (cut off the rotten bit)  On the plus side, Lotus seem to have been fairly generous with the length of the pipes.   If I relocate the hoses at the front behind the steering rack, it will give me another 4cms or so of pipe length.  

So that's tomorrow's attraction.  If anyone has any pearls of wisdom on this - let me know!     

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

my pressure cap wasn't holding 15psi (89SE) so much of my coolant vented out the expansion tank onto the ground, and then my head gasket blew at #4, so the rest of my coolant went into the exhaust manifold.  While on the track...  That's probably the worst outcome.  One guy, in a Mercedes SLS behind me, noticed the coolant spilling on the track and didn't tell me.

Good luck with hopefully an easy fix.

Nice!  You'd think it would be polite for the mercedes driver to mention an issue like yours!

Well its fixed.  Not too bad as its possible to remove the pipes from the rear with a minimum of disassembly - main pain is removal of petrol tank balance pipe and the draining required.   Also a few issues with inaccesable rotted/seized hose clips.  Also need to deflect the pipes to remove refit, but its within their tolerance to spring back to straight.

pipes.jpg

These look brand new, you changed them completely?

Its definitely worth knowing that these can be replaced without dismantling too much. All these ally tubes eventually seem to go at the ends. 

Just hope the main coolant pipes last! 

The original plan was to just cut the rot out, but there was a fairly distinct hole too far in for that to work, so yes, new pipes sourced.   Agree on main pipes as they would require a fair amount of disassembly up front.  On re-checking for leaks I've now noticed a weep from the top of the thermostat housing - that's next on the list.....   Not totted them up but there must be 50+ hose clips on the cooling system.   I reckon I accounted for 14 on the heater pipes alone!!   

Those aren't the main coolant pipes? They look to be the bigger of the four heading up front.

And whats thats big coiled tube coming straight down, the air intake? Just curious I have an S1 so things are a bit different.

No its the camera perspective.   Those pipes are only 16mm in new money.   Good question re corrugated pipe.  Will almost certainly be a drain but I cant picture where it connects to!  

If that's the front of the car, the big convoluted thingy probably drains the plenum that supplies the heater and ventilator/air con.