free hit
counters
Exhaust noise - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I'd like a bit more noise, but not intrusive etc.

What are people's thoughts?

Lotus Sports Exhaust?

2bular? (New valved one etc)

What other options?

(This is for an NA not S)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Read all the other posts on the subject.  There are plenty................

Hi Lee,

I would highly recommend the one I've had done. It's got a nice throaty sounds but not too loud. Great sound when it's fired up but on idle not too noisy and has a deep burble. Cruising around and it's a little louder than stock but a deep note to it. When you put your foot down and go over 3000RPM it has a really good sound track.

I am still waiting for a price back off this company but suspect it's going to be around £600-700 (not sure if that's plus VAT or not).

I will try and get some video this weekend for you.

Regards,

David Walters

Also, noise tests are important.

So I'd be interested to know who has an exhaust and has been noise tested for track access.

Id like to do Bedford Autodrome again but I had no chance of access with the VX, 98dB iirc static.

I really like the Larini systems, both for the craftsmanship (shame to hide such beutiful parts under the car) and the sound. I had a Larini system on my Speedster and I'm very tempted to get one for the Evora as well. You can get it from Elise-shop: http://www.elise-shop.com/evora-c-52_55_91.html

6" tubular on mine with rear cat delete. Good sound and fine below 4k - so good for cruising on M ways. Went through sound check at Combe last year very easily at 86 I think, although this was only at 4.5 k revs.

Does get quite loud above 5k, but didn't get black flagged. I am at Combe again on 23rd May if you want to see /hear it. up to about 5k the Cai makes more noise than the zorst anyway!

Edited by Whitey

Any idea what new stainless headers will do to the noise through the standard rear box?

Any idea what new stainless headers will do to the noise through the standard rear box?

why would you want to do that?

You would effectively be going "unrestricted" (new headers) back to restricted......

The standard headers are very restrictive - as is the rear box....... if you want to replace the headers I would seriously recommend you go the 1/2 step further and replace the back box too. 

I'd like a bit more noise, but not intrusive etc.

What are people's thoughts?

Lotus Sports Exhaust?

2bular? (New valved one etc)

What other options?

(This is for an NA not S)

this is my 2ubular set up.... headers/ 100m cat/ VALVED rear silencer. It wasn't cheap.... but it is EPIC. I wasn't able to run full throttle due to the road conditions, but you should get a good idea.

http://vid918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/anthonyyule/2ubular%20Exhaust%20test_zps1zwqf0bn.mp4

FullSizeRender2_zps5jqu5eai.jpg

FullSizeRender1_zpsn9vlaigd.jpg

Edited by anthonyyule

I understood the restrictions are in the headers and the first cat, no?

I understood the restrictions are in the headers and the first cat, no?

The system as a whole is restrictive..... and the headers are by far the most complicated and expensive part of the system to replace. I don't understand why you would choose to go down the road of replacing the headers but not the rear box. Its normally the other way around. 

If you check out the information provided by Jim on the 2ubular website, he explains that the complete Evora system is not conducive to achieving the power output which the engine could otherwise achieve. 

If you are just after some noise....get the back box.... if you are looking for some genuine gains.... replace the system.

Right, so even with a decat the standard NA box is just too quiet.

It's also HUGE!

So I'm definitely after an exhaust now.

Still want to be able to track, but I definitely need a bit more noise that a fart in the wind!

Cocopops, I can higly recommended a 2bular, you will have to wai a bit but it will be worth it. I had a switchable one on my n/a whilst keeping the standard headers. Normal was sporty,bypass was epic! I'm sure it's new owner will be along soon andigive his opinion

Gav

I emailed Jim and he said if I want to track it, then I need the 7" silencer not the valved one.

I do like the idea of valved tho

Can he not do a valvesd one that's track and epic? Either that or noisey track days only!

I've asked the question... He will get back to me tomorrow.

Bungs are another possible option I've thought of.

Thus, Epic, silenced and silenced bunged.

Lee;

I engaged with Jim  a couple of months ago just as he just came up with new NA valved backbox, and he's shipping one to me hopefully for fitment this Friday. So once that's done, you're more than welcome to have a listen to it and see :) 

Lee's in the loop, but just to keep everyone else in the know...Jim's sending me the first of his new 2Bular valved NA exhaust with carbonfibre tips (the ones listed on his site) with decat pipe for fitment by BoT on Friday. I dont have any sophisticated external go-pro mics or anything, but i'll try to get a few clips of the sound for you all.

My wallet is screaming, but i'm playing deaf at the moment :D 

You wont have to 'play' deaf after a few runs with the valve open! Only kidding, its an epic noise.

Gav

Jim actually mentioned a very interesting point.

By running at high RPM regularly you're giving whatever wadding etc a real beating inside the silencer. By having a valve, you bypass the padded silencer area, and avoid knocking the stuffing out, literally :D

So technically, getting a new exhaust is saving me money.

Damn Jim's good at this whole sales thing :D 

Yi canna beat man maths! Brilliant.  Sold it and justified it to me.  :unworthy:

Just a quick question for folks:

1. Carbonfibre exhaust tips; what are folks opinions? I've chosen these from Jim, but I do have doubts. Not enough to cancel my order yet, but mindful of other peoples opinion. 1891371_659625440833725_4787480467070759

2. EML - Is there any risk of limp mode issues etc by removing the cat for a decat pipe? I've got a trip to Valencia in a few weeks and I dont want to suffer issues away from home obviously.

1. Tips are your choice, go with what you want :)

2. EML - It's fine. The standard manifolds include Cats, the 3rd cat (that the decat removes) isn't needed for Engine management or MOT.

Can't wait!!

I will then order mine!

Thanks Lee.

The tip question was more so in terms of folks screaming 'CHAV' :D My Evora has a very elegant look and i'm mindful of making it look too chavy. That said, one could argue that chrome looks chavy. 

The rear light rings will soon be black, and so the only bit of chrome on show will be the lotus lettering. It would also hide the dirt :D

You've answered your own question then, no chrome tips.

Does he have a "tip library" to choose from :lol: