free hit
counters
Used Evora S - what to look out for? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
edguy

Used Evora S - what to look out for?

I've been talked out of buying a new cayman by the wife, she thinks there ugly after seeing the evora hence am looking for a used Evora S.

My budget is between 35-45k which means i'll be looking at a used model.

I'll be honest I don't have a clue what to look out for which model will be a good buy, I've seen a few reviews that the 2012 S has a better Nav system but that's all I really know in the difference of models.

Should I be looking at buying a 2012 model or would a 2011 be good for the money, and change left over :)

Are the tech and premium pack  a must, how does the manual compare to the auto, although in preference I like using a manual box.

Is it easy to get extended warranty on a older car i.e 2010/11 - who should I be looking at getting a warranty from and estimated cost.

Any after mods that are must or I should consider, exhaust mods etc ,  that won't impact a warranty..

Sorry for all these questions, would love to get some advise from owners.

TIA :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'll be looking for one late next year and for me it will be MY 2012 onwards as they made something like 140 changes to quality in terms of interior, exhaust note, gear cables, nav unit etc etc.

Others with more knowledge will come along soon. A MY 2012 will be at the top end of your budget though. Maybe sit in both and see which you prefer.

Stu

I have a 2010 model and have to agree there are some bits of interior you would expect better quality and cut from....so I would defo get a my12 if that alone is enough to put you off. Everything else though is spot on and very happy with it. If your going to be in traffic, i think the auto would suit better as the manual box in traffic is fine, but clutch pedal is heavy.

The sat nav you can upgrade, but again go for the my12/14 models if you can.

Dont be put off by clutch noise, its a case ot TADTS to some degree or another, and it was not until my14 cars they got an additional hydrolic pipe thingy majig to reduce resonance... something like that.

Good find and says it all. 2012 onwards.

Thanks gents for the above, very helpful.

I'm also in a similar position to yourself - looking for an Evora S for £35 - 40k.

However, slightly bucking the trend, I'm not keen on the MY2012 interior (particularly the thick red piping). So, ideally, I was looking for a MY2011 car with as many of the MY2012 mechanical improvements as possible. Especially the updated gear cables.

I'm very glad to say that I found one. I should be picking it up next week. I can't wait.

• Like 1

Welcome to TLF and hopefully Evora ownership! Get out and test drive some, not sure where about's your are but Jamie @ Bell and Colvill near Leatherhead or Aimee @ Silverstone will look after you for sure. They will also put a warranty on any car you did buy.

The S starts around £36k like this, £40k will get you a low miles, fully loaded MY11 like this and the top of your budget will get you an early MY12 but think you will find it hard going to find a manual as all early MY12's seem to be IPS, like this. Unless you don't mind LHD, this one looks amazing value!

If looking at the MY11 do check gear change cables as some cars have had shifting issues, it can be down to adjustment but some cars have also been retrofitted with MY12 cables. And try to avoid the early Alpine Blackbird sat nav as they can cause problems. Watch for headlight peeling and the rear light chrome rings!

• Like 1

After being at Silverstone this weekend noticed Silverstone have a lot of stock of all sorts Evora a few to look and drive give them a call .

£40k will get you a low miles, fully loaded MY11 like this

Hands 'orf!  :2guns:

:thumbsup:

Unless you don't mind LHD, this one looks amazing value!

Wow that is amazing value, although buying a British super car with the wheel on the wrong side just doesn't cut it for me :)

I might consider the IPS, presuming it's double clutch - is it a good box.?

After all 2 - hands on the wheel at all times and I only have 2 feet :P

Edited by edguy

After all 2 - hands on the wheel at all times and I only have 2 feet :P

No double clutch I am afraid, its an automatic and Lotus have rebranded it as such. I would strongly recommend driving one and see if it works for you or not.

Welcome to TLF edguy. :welcome:

Best of luck with your search.

Duck over to the Introductions section and say hi in there as well. ;)

Not being a double clutch I assume the changes are slower but still smooth compared to a double clutch set up?

Stu

Nope. Slush-box automatic.

From the drives i did the IPS torque converter box was not as bad as it sounds on paper. Try before you buy is the only way to see if you will like it...

That said dont rule out the manual...on my 2010, the cables have been adjusted (dont think they were upgraded) and they are smooth as  a babys bum!

Nope. Slush-box automatic.

Apologies, that came across wrong (and I can't seem to edit my orginal post).

The 'nope' was a response to the inital point (double clutch?), not the subsequent question (is it a good box?)

NA (is that your real name), you can find out a lot about the Evora from our Long Term Tests

http://www.thelotusforums.com/category/latest-news/long-term-tests/

Thanks Bibs for the info - Changed by name from NA to Steve- The trouble I had with deed poll to do this was unbelievable. :D

Added a formal introduction, as you seem to be a good community here.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/73560-hello-and-salutations-quick-introduction/

• Like 1

IPS box is really good when it has the latest software - can be a bit lumpy when changing with older software. Sport mode is always smooth.

Change speed isn't an issue - The IPS virtually matches the manual for performance with no effort from the driver.

I wouldn't go manual myself having driven both.

Don't get hung up on the 'dual clutch' being better because it's modern - a good torque converter can be just as good if not better - I've driven many variants of both so can compare.

• Like 1