free hit
counters
Elise S2 k-series motor starting problem - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Melkske24

Elise S2 k-series motor starting problem

Hello,

I have a lotus elise S2 with rover k-series motor from 2004.

I deactivate already the imobiliser.

I replaced the battery with a new one, i replaced the spark plugs also.

Now, when i let my car for approx one week in the garage itry to start him.

1) The car starts and is running, after 30 seconds to 1 minute the motor shuts down.

When then i try to starts there is no way that the motor is running, started different times.

When i wait a couple of hours, so for example a day, the process is repeating back from step 1.

What could be the problem?

Could this be a defective fuel pump? (i here the fuel pump when i put the ignition on, fuel tank is filled half).

Can anyone help me with this problem? (How can i easy see that there is fuel coming from the fuel pump?

Kind regards

Geert

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Certainly sounds like just what you'd expect with the fuel pump on it's way out. 

Google says that for 'K series Fuel Pump fail' there are over 200k results on UK websites. Not uncommon.

You can replace it with a stock item or there are a good number of uprated items if you wish for not much more money.

Geert, fuel pump failure on an Elise S2 is not a very common thing to happen.

Mind you, the pumps for these cars are all different, an Elise S1 pump will not fit an Elise S2, a Toyota S2 pump will not fit a Rover S2 etc.

Unfortunately, the factory has an exclusive on these pumps, so the only way to obtain is as an original part:

http://www.elise-shop.com/fuel-pump-and-sender-unit-elise-s2-rover-engine-p-339945.html

• Like 1

Hello,

Done some test again.

When i put a silicone tube behind the fuel filter, i have the folowwing :

When egnition key is on, fuel is flowing in to my bottle.

When i put is off and back on, fuel is coming again.

After 2 times on and off, my bottle of 0,5litres is full.

Now when i put the fuel line back on the fuel filter, and after several on and off turn, the car is starting and turns again for 30 seconds or less.

I hear, if i put the ignition key to on the fuel pump, but it did not start afterward, it is like the fuel is flowing back to the fuel tank via the fuel filter, is this possible / what could be the cause.

When after one or two starts, the car is not starting anymore it sounds like there is air in the fuel line, is this possible?

Fuel tank is full for 3  blocks on the display.

Regards

First I would check that the fuel indication is indeed correct. Physically check the fuel tank level.

Then the fuel pump. Air in the line could mean the fuel is draining back from the pump.

Bibs is generally spot on about what is available, though YvoTuk may be quite correct. :)

YvoTuk has forgotten more about the Elise than I know, he's the expert in this thread :)

Did some tests today,added 10 litres of fuel and now the engine is running, i go to the gas station to fully fill the tank.

So i think that the fuel indicator is not correct, still indicating 3 blocks of fuel on the display.

Is the fuel indicator / sensor easy to test or to replace ?

You can try disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds plus, reconnect & check to see if it's reset...